• March 28, 2024, 08:33:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-343 to network bridge: Lan not connecting  (Read 5550 times)

Chippathingy

• Level 1 Member
DNS-343 to network bridge: Lan not connecting
« on: July 08, 2012, 03:20:41 PM »

Hello guys,

This one is a mystery to me. I had the DNS-343 hooked up to my Linksys E4200 wireless router.  Everything works fine on that end.  Due to renovations, I know have to keep my DNS-343 on the other side of the home.  I bought a Linksys WES610N (wireless bridge) to create a bridge to the E4200 wireless router.

The problem is:  When I hook up the LAN cable from the DNS-343 to the Linksys WES610N wireless bridge, it doesn't even acknowledge a connection.  The DNS-343 shows 'Disconnected from Netowrk' and the Linksys WES610N wireless bridge LAN port doesn't even light up showing a LAN cable is connected.

I have my TV hooked up to the Bridge and there's no problem with the TV connecting to everything and getting internet access.  I've tried plugging the LAN cable from the DNS-343 to the other ports on the wireless bridge, but no luck.  Nothing lights up.  If the move the LAN cable for the TV to other ports, no problem, the wireless bridge lights up and acknowledges a connection.

When I hook the DNS-343 back to the wireless router, the LAN port lights up and the connection is fine.

What can I look into to find out why my DNS-343 won't work with my Linksys WES610N wireless bridge?  I've also tried using a crossover LAN cable, but that didn't do anything different.  Same result.

Any suggestions would be of great help.

Thanking you all in advance,
Chippathingy

JAylmer

• Level 1 Member
Re: DNS-343 to network bridge: Lan not connecting
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 05:40:46 PM »

Is the TV set to DHCP Served and the DNS-343 set to fixed IP?
For security reasons perhaps the bridge is set to work with a restricted ranges of IP's.
You may need to explore this at both the router and the bridge device.
Or set the NAS to DHCP server.

Another thing is if you have the DNS-343 port forced to 1GBit rather than auto may be an issue.
The DNS-343 may function at that speed on one device but not supported on the other?
<End of guesses>

iuliand

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 04:28:49 AM »

1) Try another cable maybe? The cable is good? It seems a physical level issue because the LED on the bridge is not lit...

2) Assign a fixed IP for the NAS, just in case.

3) Put a switch in between the NAS and the bridge. For testing purposes and maybe as a workaround.

Chippathingy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 09:22:22 AM »

Thanks guys for all your help.

I got it all to work now.  What I had to do was reset the wireless bridge back to default settings, wait for the dns343 to fully boot up, then finally connect the cable last.  The wireless bridge connection light came on and all is good.  Used a straight LAN cable, the crossover wasn't needed after all.  Now I can see the dns343 on my iMac, laptop, Xbox and PS3 without any problems.

Weird thing is, why didn't this work the first time I booted everything up?  Must be one of those 'Ghost in the Machine' episodes.

Thanks again guys for all your help and suggestions.