• March 28, 2024, 09:04:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DAP-1522 unstable, constantly rebooting itself  (Read 10329 times)

JTDlink

DAP-1522 unstable, constantly rebooting itself
« on: September 21, 2008, 10:36:34 AM »

I just got a DAP-1522 to use as a bridge to my DIR-655 router.  I upgraded firmware on both (1.20 for the 655, 1.02 for the 1522).  Once I got everything set up, everything seemed to work fine for a couple of days (although having to leave my router's wireless "Visible" all the time is unacceptable to me).

Last night, the 1522 just started rebooting itself.  When I power it up, it may or may not start up properly, I have to try several times before the blinking red bridge light comes on.  Then it'll work for 5 to 10 minutes, and reboot itself again, over and over again.  It's still doing that now.

What's going on?  Do I need to downgrade my 1522's firmware?  I haven't had any problems with the DIR-655, I've been very satisfied with the several D-Link products I've owned, until this extremely frustrating experience.  The phone tech support is useless (those Indian or Filipino ladies answering the phone know nothing useful) and email support has been completely unresponsive to me.  Will someone on here help me?

Cranium

• Level 2 Member
Re: DAP-1522 unstable, constantly rebooting itself
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 05:28:39 AM »

It sounds like you have an issue with your specific 1522.  I'm running a 1522 on 1.02 firmware as a bridge with the DIR-855.  I haven't had any issues with it so far. 
It has been up and running for 8 days since the last reboot.

btw....I also agree that having to leave the SSID visible is an inconvenience.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 09:25:26 AM »

Check for 2.4ghz cordless devices in the area. Disable them and see if the rebooting continues.

JTDlink

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 12:06:18 PM »

The only 2.4ghz devices I own are Xbox 360 controllers, and the DAP-1522 still reboots itself when those controllers are off and the 1522 is in a different room.  But, the reason I got the thing was to connect my Xbox (and other nearby devices) wirelessly, so permanently disabling those controllers isn't an option anyway.  And the one day the 1522 worked, I was using it for that purpose and it seemed to function fine (at least, until it didn't anymore).

I guess I got a lemon and need to return it to you.  The place I got it (Buy.com) will not accept a return after two weeks.

-JTDLink

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 01:45:42 PM »

Hmm,
Whats the firmware version that you are running?

JTDlink

D-Link Support is truly terrible
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 05:17:16 PM »

Wow.  I've owned many D-Link products in the past, but after this horrible experience with the 1522, I'll never buy another one again.  I've recently had to deal with Microsoft's Xbox support as well, which is also terrible in some of the same ways as yours is, but yours is worse.

First I called the tech support line, got two different female overseas operators, both of which simply read from a script that contained the same information that's in the documentation, and clearly had no understanding of the products, or networking, or computers (and one of them was supposed to be second-level support.  How many levels are there before you get to someone who knows anything?)  Has this type of support ever helped anyone who is able to read for themselves?

I also sent emails, none of which have been answered, NONE.  Even two weeks later.  I guess you're taking the "ignore the problem until it goes away" approach here.

When I gave up on this run-around, I found out that Buy.com, where I purchased the 1522, has a 2-week return policy, which I was just barely past, so I called D-Link support again.

First I was told that they won't accept returns before products are 30 days old, even if the store doesn't have a 30-day policy.  What's the point of that?  THEN I was told that Buy.com sells "as-is" (which they don't say anywhere on their site) and therefore you will not honor the warranty.  Working really hard to avoid responsibility for your own defective products.

After getting transferred to a supervisor (who said there's nothing he could do, in a variety of ways), and expressing my displeasure with these inflexible "policies", and explaining again that I was only past the return window because of D-Link's terrible, unresponsive support, he finally agreed to put an RMA through, but couldn't guarantee that my return would be accepted.  So I am to just send it back and hope hope hope that D-Link will replace its own brand new defective product...maybe dreams will come true!  What kind of a way is this to operate customer service for a company?

Fortunately for me, Buy.com will accept my return, even though it is outside their stated policies, and they didn't even give me any grief about it.  Yes, Buy.com accepted YOUR product back when YOU WOULDN'T.  I guess they're more interested in keeping customers happy than you are.  This really makes you guys look awful, you know.

Unfortunately for D-Link, not only have they lost a customer, but I shall spread the word to all my associates (who, it turns out, already dislike D-Link products) and everywhere else I can about this truly terrible customer service.  You guys are cutting corners and going cheap...keep it up and you'll cut the ultimate corner, right out of business.

-JTDlink

JTDlink

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 05:18:56 PM »

By the way, none of that rant was directed at you, Lycan.  You're the only D-Link person that has given me any answers...although you haven't answered ALL my questions... ;)

anon

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 08:57:15 AM »

Ask for a 3rd tier next time.

Capt Spalding

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 04:21:48 PM »

I've been thru this same support nightmare now for 7 days and about 15 hours on the phone with Dlink. Here it is months later than your original problem and my DAP1522 is constantly rebooting itself and not acquiring the router anymore.  it takes a trip from the basement to upstairs to physically connect it to the computer and check settings.  Sometimes their as I set them, sometimes they have been flushed and set to previous cfg's. BTW running 1.20Fireware now, but it still does it.

This outsourced tech support is the final straw.  That decision alone is enough for me, to never purchase a dlink product again. PERIOD!

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 04:55:22 PM »

D-Link can not be held responsible for purchases made from e-tailers that have bad return policies.
As for the technical support, the best thing to do is record the names of the people that you felt provided you with bad support. Contact our CS department or even PM me with them and I'll personally see to that the situtation is rectified in a manner that is acceptable to all.
We are not trying to cheat you or rip you off, we inact policies, and sometimes the customer gets caught in them. I know it can be trying, I will do my best to help you.

JTDlink

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 11:31:54 AM »

But Dlink CAN and SHOULD be responsible for supporting its own products.  Why should I even have to say that?  A few weeks ago, my Xbox 360 stopped reading discs...did Microsoft give me a hassle about where I bought it (Buy.com, same place as the DAP1522)?  No, they just asked for the serial number, done.  They sent me a free shipping label, I returned the unit, they repaired it quickly and sent it back, along with a free 1-month Xbox Live gold subscription.  They do this because they know they have to do it to keep business (and it's the right thing to do), which is exactly opposite to the attitude Dlink has.

Nobody I know has anything good to say about Dlink, and that's the norm, and it's not getting better.  You guys have the reputation of making cheap, unreliable products and providing terrible support, and it's true (I still haven't gotten any of my emails answered).  You know what they call companies that do those things?  Bankrupt.  Especially with the economy the way it is, Dlink will need to change its ways quickly or end up disbanding and selling its assets off to the highest bidder (if there is one).

I did get a replacement DAP1522 from Buy.com, and it worked much better than the first one...for a while.  But now I'm starting to have some issues with it.  Unless I can find some information on these forums to help, I know I'll end up with a shiny white Dlink brick.  But it will be the last Dlink brick I will ever own.

-JTDlink

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 08:53:55 AM »

Comparing one companies product support to another is not really a good way to look at anything. If you are unsatisfied with the product, return it. Get your money back and purchase something else.

As for the return policy, of course Microsoft is going to have a policy of that nature. They've had SOOOOOO many issues with the red ring of death with the 360 they extended the warranty for 1 year to 3 and have enacted a no questions asked return policy. Most of this was done within the first year of the 360's inception.

gshaghoian

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 01:21:04 PM »

JT -

They make hundreds of thousands of these devices. No matter what brand you purchase, there is always the chance of getting a bad one from time to time. It's rare but it happens.

For every person such as yourself that has had a negative experience, there are 2 more people who have had a wonderful experience.

When dealing with free technical support, it all depends on who you talk to. This goes for all companies, not just D-Link.

Also, everything you were told by a supervisor at D-Link is stated in the Warranty, which was available online before you ever purchased the product. I'm sure you will feel that the customer should not have to be that conscientious about researching a product before purchase - and I would agree - but it may be worthwhile to prevent a similar problem in the future.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 01:23:42 PM by gshaghoian »