• March 28, 2024, 04:51:00 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Remove Securespot  (Read 38542 times)

iball

• Level 1 Member
Remove Securespot
« on: January 23, 2010, 07:51:20 PM »

I swear every time i reboot the router, it acts like securespot is still active sometimes when i connect even asks me to pay for securespot or disable it, but i already did in the router settings, then when i click discontinue it still acts like i have securespot.

How to remove Securespot (i already disabled it in the settings).

dlevens

• Level 1 Member
Re: Remove Securespot
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 05:31:03 PM »

I have this same issue. I absolutely hate securespot, its like a freakin virus, it just wont go away. I want to rip it out completely. I have mine off, and even without a reboot this stupid POS keeps coming back and stopping the internet from working.

Starting to regret my deicsion to leave linksys wrt54gl and tomato firmware.

wenks

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 08:11:02 PM »

(*this code may vary for your dlink router but can be found in the dlink manual which should be on your installation disc)
Enter this into weblink, login using your router password...access dlink settings choose securespot from left column and simply deselect "Enable securespot"
This will stop the slow annoying advertisement which gives you the option to buy securespot
hope that helps
-wenks

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 08:57:11 AM »

This does not completely remove SecureSpot.  It just turns off the access but there still can be some attempts to connect.

jdcrutch

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 08:51:49 PM »

You're dern tootin it won't remove SecureSpot.  It won't even turn it off reliably.  SecureSpot will turn itself back on and commandeer your browser again and again.  There are at least five threads on these forums full of complaints about that nasty piece of built-in malware. 

I wrote to D-Link Support today and they haven't had time to answer me, but others say they're extremely unresponsive on this issue.  We need to put some pressure on them, and escalate until we get a satisfactory response--like some new firmware without SecureSpot.

Regards,

Jim Crutchfield
Long Island City, NY

thexfile

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 01:03:07 AM »

There's probably something in System Configuration, look in Services or Startup.

or...
You can use a good free utility called Autoruns for Windows.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

At least you might stop Securespot from starting.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 01:07:10 AM by thexfile »

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 07:27:07 AM »

There's probably something in System Configuration, look in Services or Startup.

or...
You can use a good free utility called Autoruns for Windows.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

At least you might stop Securespot from starting.

SecureSpot is not a Windows applications.  D-Links has applied SecureSpot directly on several of their routers, which the DIR-628 is onw model.

BTW:  SecureSpot was delivered with firmware 1.12 version and disappeared with version 1.13.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 07:29:44 AM by smlunatick »

jdcrutch

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 08:36:40 AM »

BTW:  SecureSpot was delivered with firmware 1.12 version and disappeared with version 1.13.

What do you mean, "disappeared"?  It's certainly included in the current firmware version (1.3x, if I remember right).

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 11:55:15 AM »

Back when I first got my Dir-628 (A2), I was updating the firmwares.  I updated to 1.13 version, SecureSpot never appeared.  I then reverted to the firmware 1.12, SecureSpot came onto my unit.  So, if you installed firmware 1.12, you get SecureSpot.  SecureSpot only gets installed on version 1.12.

jdcrutch

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 07:19:19 PM »

Back when I first got my Dir-628 (A2), I was updating the firmwares.  I updated to 1.13 version, SecureSpot never appeared.  I then reverted to the firmware 1.12, SecureSpot came onto my unit.  So, if you installed firmware 1.12, you get SecureSpot.  SecureSpot only gets installed on version 1.12.

I think Smlunatick must be referring to vv. 1.31 and 1.21; there was no v. 1.12 or 1.13 (see version history quoted below).  They issued a version of 1.21 without SecureSpot, because this problem had caused an outcry back then (in November 2008, see http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/My-DLink-Router-Is-Spamming-Me-98909), but subsequent versions again have SecureSpot, including the latest release, which is the one causing the present wave of complaints.  And if you've updated your firmware to any version of 1.3x, you can't downgrade it back to 1.2x or earlier, at least according to D-Link (though Smlunatick says she or he did):

Type   Version   Date
Firmware   1.33NA   1/28/2010
Revision Info:   ¤ Fixed: Correct HNAP issue.
¤ Fixed: DNS relay issue ( WAN Slowdown )
¤ Added: Advanced DNS descriptions
[download firmware]    Firmware   1.32NA   7/20/2009
Revision Info:   ¤ Fix when disable DHCP server and enable DHCP server, LAN PC cannot get IP.
¤ Fix using wireless client to configure Access Control rules, cause DUT reboot.
¤ Fix UPnP bug.
¤ Disable CAPTCHA by default

Firmware   1.31   4/28/2009
Revision Info:   Note: This firmware does not allow downgrading. Please read release notes before upgrading.

¤ New SharePort support PC/Mac (Requires New Utility Installed on PC or Mac to work)
¤ Add SecureSpot 2.0
¤ CAPTCHA (Cryptographic Authentication)
¤ Fix DHCP server issue.

Firmware   1.21   11/07/2008 [No SecureSpot]
Revision Info:   ¤ Added SharePort features.
¤ Fixed email notification issue.
¤ Patch for Call of Duty 4 and port forwarding issue.
¤ Fix when delete schedule rules,guest wireless setting schedule don't back default value "always".
¤ Fix the main wireless and guest zone can be set different schedule time. But the schedule of Guest Zone must be within the schedule of main WLAN.
¤ Remove Enhanced IGMP Proxy GUI
¤ Fix USB LED light can't flash with network USB

Firmware   1.21 (SecureSpot)   9/30/2008
Revision Info:   ¤ Added SecureSpot 2.0.
¤ Added SharePort features.
¤ Fixed email notification issue.

Firmware   1.20   8/14/2008
Revision Info:   ¤ Fixed WPS issue
¤ Fixed WAN speed issue

Firmware   1.11   12/18/2007
Revision Info:   ¤ Enhanced DHCP WAN compatibility.
¤ Improved DHCP Client Table List.
¤ Utilize latest Widget Version.
¤ Removed the support of 802.11d.
¤ Added PPtP and IPSec ALG support.

Firmware   1.10   10/25/2007
Revision Info:   ¤ Updated Firmware Query UI.
¤ Improved LAN performance.
¤ Removes ALG functionality.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 07:28:37 PM by jdcrutch »

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 08:11:27 AM »

NO!  I did mean version 1.12 and 1.13.  DIR-628!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My DIR-628 (A2) came with firmware version 1.11.

I then began to look at upgrading its firmwares.

When you upgrade to version 1.12, SecureSpot was installed.

I then reverted back to version 1.11, SecureSpot was removed.

I then tried version 1.13 and SecureSpot was never in this upgrade.

BTW:  I am dealing with DIR-628 (A2) router in North America, so check for the correct history:

Download   Type   Version   Date
[download firmware]    Firmware   1.23NA   2/11/2010
Revision Info:   ¤ Fixed: Correct HNAP issue.
¤ Fixed: DNS relay issue (WAN Slowdown).
¤ Added: Advanced DNS descriptions.
[download firmware]    Firmware   1.22NA   8/13/2009
Revision Info:   ¤ Add Advanced DNS.
¤ Change: CAPTCHA disable by default. (Users can enable from UI if desire)
¤ Fixed: Potential security leak with CAPTCHA.
¤ Fixed: Configuring Access Control rules wirelessly cause router to reboot.
¤ Fixed: UPnP issue.

More...
[download firmware]    Firmware   1.20   5/11/2009
Revision Info:   Note: This firmware does not allow downgrading. Please read the release notes before upgrading.

¤ New SharePort support PC/Mac (Requires New Utility Installed on PC or Mac to work)
¤ Added CAPTCHA (Cryptographic Authentication)
¤ Added Advance DNS Feature

More...
[download firmware]    Firmware   1.13   1/08/2009
Revision Info:   ¤ Added SharePort
¤ Resolves issues getting online with Satellite Internet Service Providers.

Please download the SharePort Utility and see the SharePort manual before use.
[download firmware]    Firmware   1.12   8/25/2008
Revision Info:   ¤ Added SecureSpot features

For support with SecureSpot Service please call 1-877-453-5465

For FAQs on SecureSpot please Click Here
[download firmware]    Firmware   1.11   7/14/2008
Revision Info:   Note: 20/40 Auto-Mode change to good neighbor.

Please see the readme.txt, located in the folder containing the firmware file.

Note: After upgrading to firmware 1.11, you will not be able to downgrade to previous firmwares.

¤ Fixed WEP 11g/11b

jdcrutch

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 08:22:19 AM »

No need to shout.  My mistake.  I apologize.  I overlooked the difference in router models.

InkyBinky42

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 09:08:40 AM »

So, what is the solution to remove Secure Spot.  I have the DIR-625 and it is blocking my machines from the internet.  >:(

jdcrutch

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 09:37:07 AM »

So, what is the solution to remove Secure Spot.  I have the DIR-625 and it is blocking my machines from the internet.  >:(

Reportedly, D-Link is working on a firmware upgrade that won't contain SecureSpot.  Until then you can either keep switching SS off, or simply disconnect the router from the internet and use one machine for internet access.

To switch SS off temporarily, go to the router control page with your web browser.  (This is from memory, since I've disconnected my D-Link router, so I may get a step or two wrong, but you'll be able to figure out what to do.) 
  • After you log in as Admin, click on the "Advanced" tab, then "SecureSpot", low in the left-hand column.
  • If "Enable SecureSpot services" is checked, uncheck it and click "Save Changes".  You may have to wait for the router to reboot.
  • If it is already unchecked, check it, click "Save Changes", wait for the router to reboot if necessary, then go back and uncheck it, and save your changes again.

This will turn SS off until you cycle the power or reboot the router, or until the router decides again that you need to pay for unnecessary security services.

A representative of D-Link finally replied to one of the many threads on this subject, saying that the problem arose when BeSecure.com (the "service" provider for SecureSpot) changed the address of its servers.  What I make of that is that when our routers phone home (did you know they were checking in with SecureSpot, even if you've supposedly disabled it?), they don't get the response they expect (such as "This user has declined to buy SecureSpot services, so let him browse the web;") and so try to force you to buy SecureSpot services.  But since the server has moved, all you get is a "Bad request" error.

Didn't anybody at BeSecure tell the people at D-Link they were going to move their servers?  Didn't somebody stop and think that that might affect the behavior of routers that secretly check in with those servers?  Sheesh!  What nincompoops!

g200

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 09:42:17 AM »

I logged into the secure spot management pages and deleted my account.  If I don't have an account with them then hopefully I won't get any more messages telling me I need to pay...

I'm curious if any of you have also tried this method as well as disabling it from the router?

The login page is at http://securespot.bsecure.com/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fDefault.aspx

The hard part was knowing what email/password I used as it was established when I upgraded my router firmware.

G
Pages: [1] 2