• March 28, 2024, 10:56:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Can't reset DCS-942L  (Read 20157 times)

justlooking

• Level 1 Member
Can't reset DCS-942L
« on: June 24, 2012, 09:32:32 AM »

I'm having trouble configuring a DCS-942L.

I initially set it up for static IP, which was a mistake for reasons I probably don't need to go into here.  Having recognized my mistake, I've been trying to hard reset it so I can convince it to acquire its IP address by DHCP, but each time I reset it and return to the "First, select your camera" screen in the setup wizard, I'm faced with a single choice: the device as I first set it up for static IP.  I don't seem to be able to convince it to give up that erroneous static IP address.

I have read the FAQ section on hard reset.  I've held down the reset button for a lot longer than 6 seconds while the cam was connected to power and ethernet, and I've watched it go through the sequence of flashing blue reset and WPS lights until it settles down, but this doesn't change the situation, evidently.

Am I missing something, please, or do I have a defective device?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Can't reset DCS-942L
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 07:21:41 AM »

Just to make sure, you didn't assign the camera a static IP address through your router?
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

justlooking

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 09:02:31 AM »

I assigned the DCS-942L a static address via the D-Link "wizard" setup program.  As I said, it was a mistake, but I'm baffled by why the address would stick through multiple hard resets.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 09:39:59 AM »

When you perform the hard reset, are all of the user settings removed (except for the static IP)?

justlooking

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 10:44:01 AM »

Sorry, I'm away from the device and documentation as I type this, and I don't recall a point in the setup wizard (prior to when you select the device) when I could see the values for various parameters.  Can you tell me what I'm looking for, please?  (And where to find it!)

Thanks a lot!

justlooking

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 07:01:20 PM »

I'm happy to say I was able to reset this thing!  Not sure why I couldn't earlier, but this time the reset "took" and I was able to complete the installation.  It works just fine now.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 05:33:20 AM »

I'm glad everything finally worked out for you.  ;)

JaCe

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 07:24:17 AM »

Sorry to hijack thread a bit since it's already resolved but I'm struggling to get my 942L to perform a hard reset. I push the pin in the back as per the instructions for 6 seconds but the led goes from red, to red/green flashing alternating, and then goes back to red again.

Reason I am trying to do a hard reset is because the thing won't connect to my routers anymore (after only using it twice). Can't figure out why :S
Proud owner of many mydlink cameras, SmartPlug and router!