• April 19, 2024, 09:59:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Two DAP-2553's: 90% awesome, 10% awful  (Read 6808 times)

Malachi

• Level 1 Member
Two DAP-2553's: 90% awesome, 10% awful
« on: January 17, 2011, 11:28:07 PM »

I have approximately 90% clean, wonderful uptime with my two WDS/Bridged DAP-2553's.

However, not infrequently my ping will skyrocket from the normal ~1 ms to 500-2000+ ms and hang there for a few minutes.  Then, inexplicably, it will be back to ~1 ms.

What the heck is going on?

There's 3 other WiFi signals in the area and they don't seem affected.

Mordillo98

• Level 1 Member
Re: Two DAP-2553's: 90% awesome, 10% awful
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 11:41:02 AM »

My experience is that it's cause by interference, like a microwave, coke machine, stuff like that.

Can you see anything of that nature not too far from that problematic AP?

Malachi

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 02:55:49 AM »

Sorry for the delay in reply, I need to configure this to notify my email when I get a response.

Of course I cannot say with complete certainty that there's no external interference, but I can tell you that it happens for hours on end (oscillating between good & bad access).  And also it's between two rooms upstairs in a house, whose only devices are wifi clients and the odd mobile phone (no cordless phone in the house or microwave upstairs). 

The folks at dlink replied saying that there's a minimum range of 30 feet for these devices, otherwise they might interfere with each other.  !!!!!!! I moved the parts away from each other as far as I could (about 20 feet) and for 10 days straight I had beautiful access.  Then today, it started doing the spiking again. 

The spiking is less intense in nature this time around.  Instead of 200-3000+ ms the range is more around 50-500ms.

Talk about frustrating!  Totally goofs up my VPN offsite work, not to mention my Black Ops ping...

I guess my next step will be to bust out my 30' ethernet cable (irony anyone?) and extension power cord and hide it behind my bed.  Maybe it's sensitive to light also? :)

Malachi

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 10:22:54 PM »

ok.  They are about 30' feet apart and still do it.

I'm out almost $300.

Very dissatisfied

Malachi

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 02:14:56 AM »

Alright, important development.

I've also been experiencing issues with our SonicWall TZ100W router.  I took it out of the mix, and immediately the devices have been functioning great - for many days on end now.  Fingers crossed..

Malachi

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 07:12:25 AM »

Glitchiness is back after about a week of trouble free operation.
This time the high ping manifests itself in the 30-200 ms range.

Morph1999

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 09:42:02 AM »

I have two of the these connected to a dgl-4100 in the array mode and they seem to only get bad throughput going out to the internet.  To other PCs or NAS it's really fast. Before they were arrayed they seemed like I was having serious ping issues.
 I know what you are talking about with the strangely high pings then normal. I feel for you these things weren't cheap. I also am having Blackberry torch issues with them says it's connected shows 5 bars for wifi and no server available or contact administrator or something like that.
 Other than that they are fine. I have heard of people using two or more of these things having the throughput issues. When I get a chance I'm going to shut down the "slave" and see if things go back to normal.