• March 28, 2024, 12:46:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Repeater  (Read 8503 times)

volterwd

Repeater
« on: December 18, 2008, 08:40:42 PM »

Can someone suggest a repeater to use with the dir-655, or can I use the 655 as a repeater (i'd go get another one or a newer model)

Im looking for 2 reasons.

Range extension
the extra physical ports as opposed to wiring my house.

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
Re: Repeater
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 07:00:57 PM »

IIRC, you cannot repeat a Wireless-N signal.  You can repeat B/G, thus you'd have to downgrade your wireless mode to support that. 

Given the fact N has more range than B/G, it doesn't make sense that you'd need a repeater unless you're going over 1,000 feet from the source. 

What is the reason why you believe you need repeating?

PeterJvM

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 06:50:12 AM »

It looks like they say they can.
http://www.unex.com.tw/product/rnea-81

IIRC, you cannot repeat a Wireless-N signal.  You can repeat B/G, thus you'd have to downgrade your wireless mode to support that. 

Given the fact N has more range than B/G, it doesn't make sense that you'd need a repeater unless you're going over 1,000 feet from the source. 

What is the reason why you believe you need repeating?
Peter

DIR-655 ( H/W: A2 ) ( FW: 1.21b05beta )
DWA-140 ( H/W: B1 ) ( FW: 0.20 DRV: Ralink 2.3.7.0 )
DWA-140 ( H/W: B1 ) ( FW: 0.20 DRV: Ralink 2.3.7.0 )
Intel 3945ABG ( H/W: REV 02 ) ( FW: 11.5.0.32 )

funchords

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 11:18:48 AM »

You can bridge them.  Connect an access point to a wireless client and you've essentially accomplished the same thing.  Two DAP-1522, one as AP, one as wireless client, will likely accomplish exactly what the O.P. wants to do.  (I haven't tried it.)

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 10:10:17 AM »

It looks like they say they can.
http://www.unex.com.tw/product/rnea-81

It's a first, **if** it's a real working product instead of a reference design.  Neither D-Link, Linksys, nor Netgear have such a product based on it or something of their own.  Until a product hits the shelves, the argument is moot:  today you can't repeat Wireless-N.  You can repeat B/G, so buy a DWL-G800AP and change the wireless mode on the DIR-655 to B/G only and there's one solution.

Quote from: funchords
You can bridge them.  Connect an access point to a wireless client and you've essentially accomplished the same thing.  Two DAP-1522, one as AP, one as wireless client, will likely accomplish exactly what the O.P. wants to do.  (I haven't tried it.)

I want to understand what you're suggesting here, are you building a bridge link that goes:

DIR-655 <--Wireless-->  DAP-1522 (Bridge Mode) <--Wired--> DAP-1522 (AP Mode) --> Wireless-N

It looks like it would work, adds about $200 more in equipment cost and it would get "close to" N speed.  The best solution would be to run one wire to the other location and hook up another DIR-655 or DAP-1522 since they cost the same on newegg. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 10:19:55 AM by ttmcmurry »

Azuse

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 12:07:15 PM »

For the record, you can repeat any radio transmission whether it be wireless b, g or n is irrelevant, saying you can't is poor English. Also there are n compliant repeaters on the market, just not by D-Link or Netgear (yet) However repeaters are really only for wireless so if you want both range and ports you'd need a second access point (DAP-1522?) as well.

As much as i hate laying cables around the house, getting a second 655 and running a single cable from one to the other would really be both the simplest and most reliable solution, not to mention the cheapest.

funchords

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 12:08:53 PM »

I want to understand what you're suggesting here, are you building a bridge link that goes:

DIR-655 <--Wireless-->  DAP-1522 (Bridge Mode) <--Wired--> DAP-1522 (AP Mode) --> Wireless-N
Yep, that's it.  Just to restate -- I haven't that, but it should work.

It looks like it would work, adds about $200 more in equipment cost and it would get "close to" N speed.  The best solution would be to run one wire to the other location and hook up another DIR-655 or DAP-1522 since they cost the same on newegg. 
I agree, but "Best" is in the eye of the beholder, which is sometimes a wife or other landlord  :D who doesn't like wires or sometimes it's the guy who just want to do all that climbing and crawling...  

anonposter

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 02:32:52 PM »

I have a similar situation.  Did anyone try this out?  Building on what was said before, can this be done?

DIR-655 (SSID1) <---wireless---> DAP-1522 (SSID1 Bridge Mode) <---wired---> 2nd DIR-655 (SSID2)

I cannot directly wire the initial router to the second router, thus the bridge connecting the initial router to the structured wiring of the house.  I will have components connecting to both routers wirelessly (thus the need for separate SSIDs).

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 02:39:56 PM »

Just get better antennas or better placement inside your house. Or get some UTP in place.
Using a repeater will cause quite some lag in the signal (higher ping)/higher latency.

Wireless N is not the same as B or G with respect to repeating the signal. Ergo, you cannot repeat a N signal with a B or G repeater. When you use another DIR655, you're bridging, not repeating.

The Unex device will most probably only deliver the wireless N 'repeating' with other Unex cards (but in fact bridging  :o)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 02:42:09 PM by EddieZ »
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

anonposter

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 02:54:46 PM »

I'm sorry if you misunderstood me and directional and 7db antennae haven't been sucessful in getting the signal to the location.  My question wasn't if the signal could be repeated or bridged.  My question was, could the signal be bridged with either of the solutions listed below?  Earlier in the thread, there was discussion on whether a 2nd DIR-655 could be used or a 2nd DAP-1522 in AP mode.

DIR-655 (SSID1) <---wireless---> DAP-1522 (SSID1 Bridge Mode) <---wired---> 2nd DIR-655 (SSID2)

or

DIR-655 (SSID1) <---wireless---> DAP-1522 (SSID1 Bridge Mode) <---wired---> 2nd DAP-1522 (AP Mode)

« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 02:56:23 PM by anonposter »

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 02:59:05 PM »

You might want to post also in the DAP topics. Don't have/need one.
Good luck.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33