• March 28, 2024, 01:23:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: All devices offline  (Read 26568 times)

TLMitchell

• Level 1 Member
All devices offline
« on: January 02, 2016, 08:34:04 AM »

I have two DCS-5020L cameras and two W-215 Smartplugs I use to monitor my home in Ohio while I winter in Florida. This is my 2nd winter using these devices and all have been working flawlessly for the past 2 months until approximately 9pm EST on New Years Eve. All devices show 'offline' via the MyDlink Web site as well as MyDlink Home and MyDlink Lite on my Android Smartphone and tablet. Past experience reveal that these devices, as well as my modem/router need to be occasionally reset so I use digital timers to interrupt power and reset twice per day.  As previously stated, this setup has worked flawlessly since early November.

As I'm 1000 miles from home onsite troubleshooting is impossible. My ISP has verified my DSL is up and the modem is functioning properly. A friend that checks on my house occasionally indicates all devices are showing green lights indicating connection to the router. I had him unplug all devices momentarily and all connect to the router normally indicated by the green lights on the devices. I had him connect to my WiFi using his Smartphone and all functions normally.

The only other variable would be Dlink's servers or possibly a problem with my account. I emailed Tech Support using the form on the MyDlink Web site although I've found previous email contacts totally useless. There are no support telephone numbers on the Web site or apps that I've been able to find.I'd appreciate any thoughts, comments or suggestions.

TIA....TL

manitoulinguy

• Level 1 Member
Re: All devices offline
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 07:58:33 AM »

Same issue with me although  it involves different cameras different locations. Started after the last maintenance service. Random cams offline/online mostly at night EST but can be during day as well. Started with one or two cams ,random , then back online  then back offline. There is no doubt this is a server cloud issue. My cams are at different locations, different providers ISP and it matters none. This was very stable prior to maintenece New Years. I can always connect direct by IP address and port remotely  when camera is red x'd by mydlink portal so my router and provider are running normal. Using iOS apps like mydlink lite however can be hit and miss to see a cam online or offline. Those offline come back online eventually but its unstable. Tried logging in and out mulitple devices etc etc. How do we contact them?

TLMitchell

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 03:06:59 PM »

This happened last February also...everything offline for a week or so then random cameras and Smartplugs working normally. After a couple of weeks of that everything returned to normal. In August my camera icons changed from an approximate representation to a generic one and I couldn't access them via MyDlink Home. Downloaded MyDlink Lite and it worked fine for the cameras, no provision in that app for Smartplugs. The plugs disappeared from the Smartplug app as well. Curiously, with Home and Lite both installed I could then access the cameras via Home. However, it was actually launching Lite an that app was what enabled seeing the cameras.

As for contact...good luck. I usedthe contact email form on the MyDlink Web site, no reply as yet. When I used that avenue previously it took 4 or 5 exchanges before the tech figured out the situation. Then after he reiterated what I was telling him he basically replied that he appreciated my using Dlink and to have a nice day. No resolution, suggestion, troubleshooting...nothing. I found a Support number on the Dlink.com site... 877-595-6935. After repeated tries and getting bounced out of the rotary after lengthy holds I gave up.

I need RELIABLE monitoring of my home while I'm 1000 miles away every winter. I shall be seeking other solutions as Dlink isn't up to the task, in my experience.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 03:58:45 PM »

Link>Welcome!

• What Hardware version is your DCS? Look at the sticker behind or under the camera.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the DCSs web page under status.
  • What region are you located?

What Mfr and model is the main host router?
What wireless modes are you using?
What is the distance between the Camera and the main host router?
You could a static IP address ON the cameras outside of the main host routers default DHCP IP address pool: 192.168.#.20 and .21  DHCP

Test cameras with uPnP and uPnP Port Forwarding both enabled on ALL cameras: DCS Cloud (L) Series Camera Configuration and Mydlink.com

I've seen some MDL service issues however not what your seeing. I have one camera and a router I look at and both have been good over the past several months.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Stelcom66

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 05:04:15 PM »

I posted this in the DCS-5020 forum but wondered if what I experienced today could have been due to the website - then I saw this post. Here's my situation, until the firmware upgrade this morning I never had trouble:

After upgrading to the latest firmware as recommended, the camera light was green but could not be found, was showing offline. Twice I factory reset the camera, twice installed the latest firmware. I could connect with my Android tablet with the same app I originally downloaded when I got the camera several weeks ago. I could not with Internet Explorer. I did see in another post where it was asked the the writer having similar trouble exited I.E. and re-opened it. I did not, but I did restart my pc. Then, I could connect by entering the camera's ip address. I noticed when I did that, a new plug-in was installed. Again I tried to register the camera to mydlink and could not. I tried to launch the mydlink site anyway and log in. The camera would show online (green) for several seconds, then be displayed as offline.Then, for the heck of it a bit later I did again, and I was able to view the camera via mydlink. I've tried 3 times since then and I'm able to connect via mydlink. I wonder what happened?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 05:06:42 PM »

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=64142.0

I posted this in the DCS-5020 forum but wondered if what I experienced today could have been due to the website - then I saw this post. Here's my situation, until the firmware upgrade this morning I never had trouble:

After upgrading to the latest firmware as recommended, the camera light was green but could not be found, was showing offline. Twice I factory reset the camera, twice installed the latest firmware. I could connect with my Android tablet with the same app I originally downloaded when I got the camera several weeks ago. I could not with Internet Explorer. I did see in another post where it was asked the the writer having similar trouble exited I.E. and re-opened it. I did not, but I did restart my pc. Then, I could connect by entering the camera's ip address. I noticed when I did that, a new plug-in was installed. Again I tried to register the camera to mydlink and could not. I tried to launch the mydlink site anyway and log in. The camera would show online (green) for several seconds, then be displayed as offline.Then, for the heck of it a bit later I did again, and I was able to view the camera via mydlink. I've tried 3 times since then and I'm able to connect via mydlink. I wonder what happened?
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

manitoulinguy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 09:29:07 PM »

I appreciate FurryNutz response and thank you . However  I  do consider myself  very experienced  in setting up network cameras and feel this is a server issue not a local LAN issue with the hardware or firmware  as these cameras work outside of the my dlink portal. I realize mydlink may have made enough changes that kick off certain configurations and cams but if that was the case, why do they come back online. Keep in mind this started after their scheduled maintenance. Further to that my neighbour has same cams and same issue as of this evening . My brother as well in a large canadian city same thing. These folks and myself were always stable. Now as of 6 pm est jan 3 and until 1230 am jan 4 at time of this post  , none of the cams have disconnected . However issues start during the night as they have for past few days.will post back if behaviour repeats.

TLMitchell

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 10:34:40 PM »

Troubleshooting is a bit problematic when one is 1000 miles from home and will be for another 3 months. As previously stated, all was working flawlessly for months, even after the latest camera firmware upgrade of last week. Plus any potential camera problems don't explain the Smartplugs dropping offline at the same time.

manitoulinguy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 05:28:10 AM »

Re TLMitchell: what you have to make sure is your router is connecting to internet. The DSL could be online but I have found the router sometimes not passing Data through it. Cameras will still show green because it sees wireless, will still connect internally to LAN but not go past that to the WAN.  I have same issues as you monitoring my cottage  a long way off. My suggestion for moment: have friend head over and pull power on modem and router. Leave devices alone and powered. Put modem power first and wait till data and line synchs, then after a min or so plug router in. Verify devices go green, verify friend can surf internet . You sign out and sign back in then try and see if back up and not red x. Going forward, if you have a spare laptop, connect it hidden with a cable to router, have laptop configured with free software to turn on 3 times a day allowing you the chance to check the network and devices. This has helped eliminate bothering neighbours. Regarding the apps, the older versions are more stable and mydlink home canada actually more stable than US version of "home". Also it's best to also be able to connect direct to cam through IP address and port forward you assign it. This always works and gives you chance to reboot device and change other settings. This eliminates need for mydlink and gives direct connection. When you return I can help set this up easily with you.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 10:14:30 AM »

I haven't seen any service issues here with mine and theres only been a couple complaints about this since the maintenance, those being yours and TL's. There hasn't been much of anyone else posting about it so I presume this maybe a localized problem or something between the service and your configuration possibly and is working for all others.

Other factors to consider, that even thought the maintenance was a key in seeing a change, other factors like new neighbors moving into the area or interferences can should also be considered. Wireless signal quality is critical for cameras and needs to be reviewed to ensure that the signal is best maintained.

If you feel this is a MDL service issue, I recommend that you phone contact your regional D-Link support office and ask for help and information regarding this. We find that phone contact has better immediate results over using email.
Let us know how it goes please.

I appreciate FurryNutz response and thank you . However  I  do consider myself  very experienced  in setting up network cameras and feel this is a server issue not a local LAN issue with the hardware or firmware  as these cameras work outside of the my dlink portal. I realize mydlink may have made enough changes that kick off certain configurations and cams but if that was the case, why do they come back online. Keep in mind this started after their scheduled maintenance. Further to that my neighbour has same cams and same issue as of this evening . My brother as well in a large canadian city same thing. These folks and myself were always stable. Now as of 6 pm est jan 3 and until 1230 am jan 4 at time of this post  , none of the cams have disconnected . However issues start during the night as they have for past few days.will post back if behaviour repeats.

TLMitchell

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 12:14:54 PM »

I appreciate the replies, much of what's suggested was addressed in the initial post. A friend has connected to the WiFi with both his Smartphone and laptop and was able to navigate to the Web. He walked all around the house and even outside and always had a useable signal. I have no neighbors to interrupt my signal...not a house or a soul within 3/4 of a mile, just the way I like it.

As for rebooting devices, modems, routers, cameras etc occasionally need a reboot. I have digital timers set up to interrupt power to the modem/router (integrated gateway, Xyzel PK5001Z via Centurylink, the DSL supplier) at 8:30 am and pm, power restores after 15 minutes. Leaving the modem/router time to renegotiate for 15 minutes I have timers set to interrupt power at ( am and pm and restore 1 minute later. The Smartplugs have nothing plugged into them, I use the temperature readout to monitor house and garage temps to insure the heat is still on in a northern winter climate. The critical missions are insuring the heat is on and the basement sump pump hasn't failed, which has one camera pointing directly into the crock. I worried less about security...should someone clean me out in my remote location the insurance company will buy me new stuff. I'm concerned about long term damages should the furnace or sump fail.

I used this system last year with the only difference being dumb mechanical timers that occasionally didn't restore power. I replaced them with digital models that have worked flawlessly in the 3 month shakedown cruise prior to my flying south for the winter. Incidentally, I have a 17 KW whole house, natural gas fired generator with automatic transfer switch. The modem/router and cameras are connected to UPSs to cover the 30 seconds it takes the generator to power up. I even have an identical spare modem/router set up to be swapped in should a failure be suspected. Both gateways were used for 6 months and alternated in order to be sure a replacement would be reliable. I've got the bases covered and the weak link appears to be the Cloud server system. As I previously stated, this happened last winter in early February and mysteriously cameras and plugs became randomly available after a couple of weeks. A few days of random connections and everything returned to normal for the balance of the winter.

As an aside, many things went downhill with the MyDlink Home v3.01 upgrade. The Smartplugs dropped out of the dedicated no-longer-supported Smartplug app and I had to use My Dlink Lite to access the cams, Home to access the plugs. Their are some shortcomings to the entire system, in my opinion. Email alerts for sound or motion detection sometimes took 2 - 3 hours to show up. Real time SMS would be a much better method of alert.

I plead total ignorance regarding direct connections. I initially installed the cameras using the downloaded Setup software, it worked so I didn't dig deeper.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 04:30:22 PM »

Let us know how it goes.

TLMitchell

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 08:10:14 AM »

Yesterday I finally received an email reply from tech indicating I should give things another look as they had some maintenance issues in the previous few days. In my reply I told them everything was still indicating offline, reiterated the timeline and troubleshooting steps, indicated once again the problem had to be a Cloud/server issue and suggested they forward my messages to their IT people. This morning all is working as it should as mysteriously as it failed. No reply as of yet, I really don't expect anyone to outline what the problem was. As long as it works, who cares?

Appreciate all the replies and comments....TL

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: All devices offline (RESOLVED)
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 10:26:39 AM »

Glad it's working now. Enjoy.

TLMitchell

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 08:43:19 PM »

12 hours of everything working until all devices returned to offline. ::::sigh:::
Pages: [1] 2 3