• March 28, 2024, 08:28:02 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: ip address  (Read 40713 times)

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
Re: ip address
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2010, 04:25:11 PM »

Actually, that nbtstat display shows the machine to be the master browser.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

rector

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2010, 04:29:01 PM »

Actually, that nbtstat display shows the machine to be the master browser.

Thats correct, but after it was reset the second nbtstat referred to shows its not
 Thanks

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2010, 04:51:21 PM »

Seems like a lot of hassle to get name resolution working 100% when you could just use an IP address. It seems there was nothing wrong with your NAS after all eh? ;)
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

rector

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2010, 05:08:43 PM »

Seems like a lot of hassle to get name resolution working 100% when you could just use an IP address. It seems there was nothing wrong with your NAS after all eh? ;)

All I know is my network has been faultless, except for when I purchased and installed a DNS-323 as per the dlink quick setup guide and manual.

Indeed if I use the ip address I can access the config of the NAS, but I still have to save unchanged settings (in config) to access the file system of the nas.

I guess ill just have to leave it on 24/7?
Thanks

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2010, 05:51:13 PM »

Most folks buy a NAS specifically to have it available 24/7, otherwise you probably should just use a USB drive. :)
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

OlegMZ

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2010, 07:15:15 PM »

nbtstat -a DNS-323  gives you nothingxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           CORRECT
net view \\DNS-323 gives you list of shares at the same time??xxxxxxxxxxx    CORRECT

Strange. If net view sees NAS by name - netbios name was resolved.  What do you get by using nbtstat -A x.x.x.x (by IP)? I would run Wireshark to see what actually happens on the network.

When i turned the win7 pc on this morning, NAS was already on, the following was noted with nbtstat

dns-323  <00>unique  registered
dns-323  <03>unique  registered
dns-323  <20>unique registered
   msbrowse <01> group registered
mshome  <id>  unique  registered
mshome <1e> group registered
mshome <00> group registered

MAC Adress 00-00-00-00-00-00

The win 7 pc was NOT the master browser

Was it from the Win7 PC? What nbtstat -n shows you on Win7 PC?

I changed the workgroup name as suggested and I got what I thought would happen, no sign of NAS anywhere. I was always of the opinion that all pcs on a network had to share the same network workgroup name????????

Not necessary at all. You can have many different workgroups on the same network. You will see them all in Network Neighborhood as a list of groups. My NAS and one of XP laptops are in HOME group, with NAS as master browser. My other XP Pro notebook has default Workgroup workgroup name configured, advertises itself as a master browser for Workgroup and has absolutely no problems accessing NAS via shares, Network neighborhood or internet browser to config or bittorrent page. I took it to work, plugged to corporate network, used wireless there. Now I brought it back, powered up, and as soon as it connected to home wi-fi, I saw NAS back with no problems. nbtstat, net view,

I do not have Win7 at home, so I cannot test how it works with it in terms of netbios communications.  But no problems with XP whatsoever.

After resetting the NAS The win7 pc remained the same as not master browser but the NAS now is shown as also no master browser, but
with no MAC address still????? is this normal

MAC = 0.0.0 is OK. Unlike NetBEUI NBT resolves name to IP, then IP is resolved to MAC using ARP protocol. Use arp -a to check MAC address to IP mapping.

BTW when you see that there is no master browsers on the network, remember, that in many cases it may take as much as 12 x3 minutes for devices to recognize that MB disappeared (if it did not send notification on shutdown, or just was had reset or unplugged.) Until that time - no MB, no elections.
Try not to reset NAS, but to reboot it using web interface command. Use IP address of NAS in HTTP prompt instead of dns-323 name if does not respond, and see if Win7 takes over MB role from NAS after graceful shutdown of the box.

Huge problem with netbios - loooong response. Give it a time - 40 minutes to stabilize :-)

rector

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2010, 08:06:03 PM »

Strange. If net view sees NAS by name - netbios name was resolved.  What do you get by using nbtstat -A x.x.x.x (by IP)? I would run Wireshark to see what actually happens on the network.

Was it from the Win7 PC? What nbtstat -n shows you on Win7 PC?

Not necessary at all. You can have many different workgroups on the same network. You will see them all in Network Neighborhood as a list of groups. My NAS and one of XP laptops are in HOME group, with NAS as master browser. My other XP Pro notebook has default Workgroup workgroup name configured, advertises itself as a master browser for Workgroup and has absolutely no problems accessing NAS via shares, Network neighborhood or internet browser to config or bittorrent page. I took it to work, plugged to corporate network, used wireless there. Now I brought it back, powered up, and as soon as it connected to home wi-fi, I saw NAS back with no problems. nbtstat, net view,

I do not have Win7 at home, so I cannot test how it works with it in terms of netbios communications.  But no problems with XP whatsoever.

MAC = 0.0.0 is OK. Unlike NetBEUI NBT resolves name to IP, then IP is resolved to MAC using ARP protocol. Use arp -a to check MAC address to IP mapping.

BTW when you see that there is no master browsers on the network, remember, that in many cases it may take as much as 12 x3 minutes for devices to recognize that MB disappeared (if it did not send notification on shutdown, or just was had reset or unplugged.) Until that time - no MB, no elections.
Try not to reset NAS, but to reboot it using web interface command. Use IP address of NAS in HTTP prompt instead of dns-323 name if does not respond, and see if Win7 takes over MB role from NAS after graceful shutdown of the box.

Huge problem with netbios - loooong response. Give it a time - 40 minutes to stabilize :-)

Hi and Thanks,
I hope I have answered your queries with the following

Rebboted the NAS with web interface.

As usual NAS has gone into cyberspace

nbtstat -a  nas ip address    has 3 entries for dns-323, 2 for mshome, and no reference to master browser.

nbtstat -n run on win7 pc  has 2 entries for win7i7, 3 for mshome, and MSBROWSE

Lanscanner displays dns-323 ping failed, win7i7 192.168.0.101, mac address, and mshome master

(That is strange to me because a ping from cmd prompt by ip address shows all good, but by name nothing)

Net view shows listing for win7i7 and dns-323 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]