• April 24, 2024, 11:38:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: How do I restore or recover data from the DNS323 to a new hard drive ?  (Read 3959 times)

steverino2125

• Level 1 Member

Hello - I have been using this device for back up storage for a couple years now and have had no problems, but have had no need to try to recover data from it. My hard drive failed yesterday and I didn't feel too bad, being that my device has been backing everything up daily and generating a new system image weekly. I replaced the hard drive earlier today, and have been unable to figure out how to resore the system image using Windows 7 back up tool onto the new hard drive. Feeling pretty frustrated and panicked right about now. Any advise will be greatly appreciated!

chriso

Actually this question sounds like one better answered by a Windows forum.
That is what you are actually asking help with.  That is provided you can see the DNS-323 on the network.

steverino2125

• Level 1 Member

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I can't see the drive or anything else on the network while using the system repair disc. It appears that only the local media and hardware is displayed. The system repair disc also gives me the opportunity to select a local external hard drive.

chriso

Oh I get where you are.  What you have to do is install Windows and then do the restore.  That way you have access to the network and such.

fordem

• Level 10 Member

And this is the reason why you test your backup/restore solution BEFORE it's needed to make sure that

a) it works
b) you know how to use it

It's also a good idea to test periodically to make sure the backup solution is still functional.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

steverino2125

• Level 1 Member

Thank you for the comments. I appreciate it. To be honest, I know just enough about computers to get me in trouble - nothing more. And I have no idea how to test to see how the System Image recovery works using the System Repair Disc without a blank hard drive, or risking damage to data on a working hard drive.

But instead of the starting off with the System Repair disc, I'll start off with the recovery discs to get the network installed and then restore the System Image.

Thanks again!