• April 25, 2024, 01:01:13 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Dir 655...'N' mode, WPA2 and XBox 360...oh my!  (Read 11625 times)

SavNout

Dir 655...'N' mode, WPA2 and XBox 360...oh my!
« on: September 30, 2007, 10:12:55 PM »

Good god Im getting such a head ache from my network these days. Thanks to all who helped me get my Intel N wireless card to finally go into N mode with my DIR 655 router.  Now my problem is my son's XBox 360 dosen't support WPA2!

For some reason I have to have WPA2 only enabled (in the router menu) to get the laptop to take advantage of the N mode. Great, but what about the XBox? Should I go out and get a wireless bridge?

Could I possibly use the VLAN feature for my son's Xbox and keep a stream running to it seperate in WPA mode? The I lose the use of the MEDIA CENTER EXTERNDER feature on the xbox. (I have to say...I love that feature....watching vongo movies on the xbox is cool)

I hate to be a pain...I know this is a microsoft goof...but any thoughts as to a solution?

Sav

• Codex Borgia
  • Level 3 Member
Re: Dir 655...'N' mode, WPA2 and XBox 360...oh my!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 02:46:46 PM »

I have my DIR-655 for my PC's/laptops in N only mode, with a Cheap 802.11G AP for my Nintendo DS,Wii,X360, and my other not so new Wifi devices.
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.

<script src="http://serverfault.com/users/flair/25583.js?theme=clean" type="text/javascript"></script>

SavNout

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 02:53:49 AM »

Ahh...I see, I could pull out my old link sys out and wire it from the DIR-655 --> Linksys 54gs, that way the linksys would be part of the network by running if from the n router, and the devices that connect through it....wow...thats a lot of signal flying around my house.

Does anyone know of a wireless N bridge that's not way too expensive.  I could simply put the bridge upstars in my sons bedroom and then hardwire(Cat6) the Xbox360,PS3,Wii and whatnot off if the bridge.

WAIT, how bout I put the Linksys in my sons room and port the machines off of that like a bridge. Yeah, god, now you see why my head is hurting.

Sav

• Codex Borgia
  • Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 09:13:59 AM »

Ya D-Link is coming out with N Bridge DAP-1555 802.11N

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=570

Make sure to turn off Auto channel scan on the DIR-655 and set it to 11 for the channel and set the linksys G router to be on Channel 6 and keep your wireless phones in your house on Channel 1.  this will prevent interference between all the 2.4Ghz Band in your house.

Bridge Mode vs Relay vs Acess Point (AP) / Routers vs Dedicated Access Points (AP)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 12:13:18 PM by FurryNutz »
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.

<script src="http://serverfault.com/users/flair/25583.js?theme=clean" type="text/javascript"></script>

SavNout

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 10:36:15 AM »

Thanks...My last thought on my previous thought woke me up out of a sound sleep last night. 'I can put the Linksys in his room without first runing a Cat6 cable up there....from the basement to the 2nd floor....a hard task for me to do.  I think I'll return my DSM 510 and get the DAP-1555.  That DSM 510 just isen't what it's cracked up to be anyway....u gotta use the MediaLounge that D-Link burns on it's eprom, and it's not anywhere as good as MCE. I can't play any of my movielink or Vongo movies through it. All I can do is watch Videos that I payed for (no Vongo 'Free Movies' or Movielink rentals) or Music and Photo's...and forget about the Nero 7 software and Vista....buggy to say the least.

You think this 1555 will work with the DIR-655 ok? The diagram says you need 2 of em. I'm thinking that the 655 will sufice as a base transmitter.

Thanks for the info,

Sav

edelbeb

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 10:15:45 AM »

Do you mean the MS XBox 360 wireless adapter doesn't support WPA2?  The XBox 360 itself is neutral on the issue.  Whether support for WPA2 exists depends on the attached wireless adapter.

In my house, the DIR-655 works connects at n rates in the Auto(WPA/WPA2) setting, using the 1.05 firmware.  Connection rates die at the the WPA only setting.

The DGL-3420 game adapter supports WPA(AES), but I don't recall if it supports WPA2.  Unfortunately, the DGL-3420 does not play nicely with the DIR-655 in any mode, and will knock your network to sub-802.11b speeds (intolerable).

For now, use a wireless-g access point (or an old wireless g router configured as an access point) as explained above.  Then, wait for a relatively inexpensive wireless n game adapter (I have a feeling that the forthcoming n media bridge will be considerably more costly than a game adapter), or a firmware update (I hope) for either the DIR-655 or the DGL-3420 that will allow them to play nicely together.  Of course, having a wireless g device will slow your network to wireless g speeds, but unplugging the game adapter when not in use should be a simple and relatively easy compromise.

SavNout

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 12:03:10 PM »

Hi, thanks for the reply.  Yeah, the orgional problem I was having was my Laptop being able to connect in N mode with this built in Intel 965N Card. Some one in posted above that I have to put the DIR-655 router in WPA2 ONLY mode to get my laptop to connect in N mode. Sure enough, I set the WPA MODE to WPA2 only and bamn....got the laptop to connect at 'n' auctually it says it's connected at 'ng' even when Im right next to it.

Sav

UPDATE - Wow, thats weird...I went into the router menu and changed the WPA mode to WPA Auto (with AES and 3600 delay) and bamn, the router restarted and I was connected at 'ng' still.  LOL, guess It solves my problem....I gotta run up and check the Xbox 360 now. BTW - we got the Microsoft Wirless card for the 360...I can tell you that it has good speeds...just can't connect with WPA2 security, but the speed is good....with this router in the basement, I can use it as an extender for MCE and watch Vongo movies on my sons 360 with just an occasional freeze, his room is on the 2nd floor.  I got a 510 MediaLounge in our master bedroom right next to his room and can stream 'paid for' movies (movies that I buy and download) with no lag at all.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 10:44:58 AM by We Are Many »