• April 26, 2024, 12:48:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Updated Firmware Available  (Read 19932 times)

dogma

Re: Updated Firmware Available
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2007, 04:09:40 PM »

I'm a little disappointed at D-Link's quality control in firmware development.  I've been with D-Link since many years ago.  It always takes a long time for the firmware to be stable.  Right now firmware 1.03 through 1.05 all crashes my router minutes after normal use.  It couldn't hold up even under the most simple configuration: a wired desktop plus a wireless desktop using D-Link's own wireless N card, both running Windows XP.   I've tried the default settings plus all the different variations I could think of.  Wasted tons of time.

Sometimes I wonder if D-Link tests their firmware at all?

mb

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2007, 04:51:03 PM »

Describe what is happening when your router crashes. I've found the device to be rock solid.

dogma

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2007, 07:12:42 PM »

The router simply crashes after a few minutes of normal use.  Sometimes a couple of minutes, sometimes around 10 minutes.  After it crashes, the wireless PC would never be able to reconnect again.  The only way out is to reboot the router.

I posted a log on Aug 18 inside this thread.

It looks like a firmware issue because the router works fine with firmware 1.02.

dogma

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2007, 08:43:12 PM »

Correction when I said 1.02 works fine: it's fine when I use G mode.  The router crashes as well when I tried N mode.

mb

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2007, 05:09:14 AM »

I'm looking for a description of the "crash". Does it stop routing the wired connections, or is this just affecting the wireless device? Are you just loosing connectivity to the internet? What type of internet connection to you have, cable, DSL or are you already on a LAN? Does the blinking triangle light on the front remain on, blink, or is it off? What are the rest of the lights doing? Can you access it's Web GUI when it has "crashed", if so, what does the status page report? Can you access the logs after the "crash", if so, what are they reporting. Simply saying that the router crashed is not descriptive enough to help with your problem.

dogma

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2007, 08:53:21 AM »

When the router crashed:

1. Wired PC works fine.
2. Router's web GUI is working, log page accessible, don't remember status page being abnormal.
3. I remember logs stopped being updated.
4. Not sure about the lights, probably not off.
5. The wireless devices won't reconnect unless I reboot the router.
6. I have a cable connection.

Also every time it "crashed", my wired PC would lose connection for a brief moment.

mb

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2007, 09:14:51 PM »

OK, so you are  saying that you are loosing your wireless connection but the router is still working. How many wireless devices are losing the connection? If just one, are you sure it isn't the wireless device? Is there interference from other devices? What are you seeing both before and after the connection loss on the router's Status > Wireless web page? Have you experimented at all with the wireless configurations on the router.

dogma

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2007, 07:27:18 PM »

When the router crashes, all my wireless PCs would lose connection and couldn't reconnect unless I reboot  the router.  I have several wireless PCs and all but one of them have D-Link cards.  I tested with only one wireless PC on and the result was the same.  I experimented with all the configuration settings I could think of.  Wasted lots of hours on it.  I didn't see anything different on the router's Status -> Wireless page when it crashed.

Since firmware 1.02 works fine, I don't think it's anything other than bugs in the later versions of firmware.

mb

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2007, 07:44:58 PM »

These are some of the changes made to the firmware after f/w v1.02

DIR-655 Firmware Version 1.03 Release Notes.

¤ Passes "Connect with Centrino" Logo Certification program.
¤ Upgrade Wireless driver to 802.11n Draft 2.0 specification.
¤ Added Bridge Mode in Internet Settings.
¤ Added support for WiFi Protected Setup Push button Config.
¤ Added Static Routing.
¤ Improved MSN whiteboard and app-sharing.
¤ Updated Dynamic DDNS UI and added support DlinkDDNS.com Service.
¤ Added "NetBIOS announcement", "Learn NetBIOS from WAN", "NetBIOS Scope", and "NetBIOS node type" settings in Network Settings.
¤ Added "L2 Isolation" setting in Advanced Wireless.
¤ Added "Enable anti-spoof checking" setting in Firewall Settings.
¤ Increased Maximum Simultaneous Connections. (Improved P2P performance)

As you can see, some changes were made to the driver and other wireless related areas. I'll bet that you can narrow this problem down to something involving the wireless drivers or settings.

dogma

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2007, 05:14:02 PM »

I didn't find much to change for the wireless card.  Shouldn't the router work with the default settings?  I tested with a brand-new D-Link wireless-N card using the latest driver and can consistently reproduce the crash on firmware 1.03 - 1.05.  Sometime I wonder how much testing D-Link does on the firmware.

Since it obviously works for a lot of people, I'm really puzzled.

Tsumeone

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2007, 08:42:48 AM »

Is it just me or is v 1.05 missing the Application Gateway Layer options? How do I passthrough VPN traffic, either through PPTP or IPSEC?

The old firmware versions had options to do so, but I can't seem to find it in version 1.05. Disappointed there.

They are indeed gone.  I need to disable the SIP ALG because it's dropping packets from my ViaTalk Linksys PAP2 adapter for no good reason (Log pretty much says "ALG (SIP) has dropped packet from [vt adapter] to [vt reg server] period" with no good reason, even when it's in DMZ).

Funny thing though, in 1.04 I disabled the SIP ALG and then nothing could connect to a website using the router's DNS.  Even after switching to OpenDNS and rebooting repeatedly, it just crapped out on me until I reset it to factory defaults.  This is when I upgraded to 1.05, only to discover the ALG options gone :(

Other than that I have been *very* happy with this router.  My old DI-624 (and all offbranded variants of the same exact hardware) was probably the biggest piece of doorstop I've ever owned.  Actually, it wouldn't even work for that because the door would close every 20 seconds when the router reboots for no reason =P  This DIR-655 is the polar opposite of that.  You get what you pay for!  The amount of connections it can handle makes it perfect for pretty much anything, and the available features on this router are definitely not being matched by the competition right now.

vaz

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2007, 08:29:22 PM »

I have a really strange problem where the 655 will work for a long time, been about 2 weeks this time. Then the router will reset uncontrollably and after an amount of time of me troubleshooting it, it will stabilize. When I say reset, I mean back to factory defaults. It was doing it earlier and now it's stable again. I can't even seem to isolate the issue. I haven't tried it on all the firmware yet though.

mb

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2007, 05:41:25 AM »

Sounds like a hardware issue, what version hardware and firmware?

Rad Spencer

• Capt.
  • Level 2 Member
  • Master D's Going Down!
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2007, 11:47:02 AM »

you can still configure the router to operate as a AP.
Disable the DHCP server and change the units LAN address to somthing on the subnet you are working with and then conwnect it to your network with one of the LAN ports. it works......
Yeah, over to disposal area. Heroes always look good.
Pages: 1 [2]