• March 28, 2024, 04:23:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Looses all settings on reboot  (Read 6302 times)

jvanduse

• Level 1 Member
Looses all settings on reboot
« on: September 23, 2008, 03:08:02 PM »

The device looses all settings that I have entered through the web page on reboot/shutdown
The device will forget admin pasword,network settings and RAID config...
I have manually clicked 'save' for each page in the setup many times and rebooted the device to find that it has lost the settings again..
I tried to restore config from a good config and it failed to remember settings after reboot.
running newest 1.05

I'm thinking that the CMOS battery is flakey and flushes the nvram on the controller... Does anybody else have this happen to them...

I have created an RMA, but I thought I would see if there was a simple fix to save me on the shipping...

Jim
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 03:20:52 PM by jvanduse »

jswashburn

Re: Looses all settings on reboot
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 07:40:14 PM »

I'm thinking that the CMOS battery is flakey and flushes the nvram on the controller

The unit doesn't have a CMOS battery that I know of. However, I've read that other users have experienced this issue at random. I suspect a bug in the latest firmware rev 1.05.

FYI here is pic showing one side of the main board. http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/images_old/2006/11/15/dlink_dns323_board_big.jpg

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 04:51:01 AM »

There is a CR2032 on the other side of that board.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 10:56:24 AM »

The device looses all settings that I have entered through the web page on reboot/shutdown
The device will forget admin pasword,network settings and RAID config...
I have manually clicked 'save' for each page in the setup many times and rebooted the device to find that it has lost the settings again..
I tried to restore config from a good config and it failed to remember settings after reboot.
running newest 1.05

I'm thinking that the CMOS battery is flakey and flushes the nvram on the controller... Does anybody else have this happen to them...

I have created an RMA, but I thought I would see if there was a simple fix to save me on the shipping...

Jim

Definitely not normal operation of the device. And it is not related to 1.05. RMA sounds like the only fix on this one if its not saving the config file properly. Which browser are you using by the way? Have you tried multiple?

jvanduse

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 03:08:48 PM »

I've tried serveral different IE 6 and 7 and Firefox and they all have the same issue..

Jim

jvanduse

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 02:59:19 PM »

Problem solved...

I RMA'd the device and they sent me an replacement. (very painful escalation process)
All config's are now retained after reboot.

I do want to say "thanks" to this forum.  Your suggestions were viable and helpful..

Jim