• March 28, 2024, 10:06:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Can't downgrade DIR-655 from firmware 1.35NA  (Read 17317 times)

TitaniumDust

• Level 1 Member
Can't downgrade DIR-655 from firmware 1.35NA
« on: January 12, 2011, 05:31:51 PM »

I purchased a DIR-655 (A4) a few weeks ago, and was encountering a problem.  I immediately upgraded to 1.35NA after I bought it.  First, the actual problem: With WMM enabled, my internet speeds are very inconsistent.  By that, I mean it will fluctuate between full ISP speed and less than half the speed.  A few seconds at full, a few seconds at half or less, and so on.  Well, when I disable WMM, with everything else the same, the internet speeds suddenly become consistently fast at full speed, but PC-to-PC (LAN-to-LAN) wireless transfers slow down considerably.  So no matter what I do I get a negative result.

Thus, I figured I would try downgrading the firmware to 1.32NA, 1.33NA, or 1.34NA, as I read that it is not possible to downgrade directly to 1.2x.  I thought I would simply troubleshoot the problem myself.  Unfortunately, no matter which firmware I try, except 1.35NA, it gives me a paragraph explanation; something like "This file was either not intended for this router, or it is corrupt.  Your router will not be programmed."  It did allow a reflash of 1.35NA, though.  I downloaded multiple firmwares directly from the D-Link ftp multiple times, using a different router, so the files should not be corrupt.

Is it simply not possible to downgrade once you flash 1.35NA?  For the record, I also tried a few of the workarounds I found on the internet: (1) do a hard reset by holding in the reset button and cycling power for 30 secs. (2) I tried some firmware directly from the German FTP which was supposed to allow a downgrade, but still got the same error as above.  (3) I also tried some Russian firmware and it didn't work either.  I was using a hardwired connection to the router during all attempts to flash.

The router appears to be in fine working order except for the speed issue, but I find that issue unacceptable, which is why I am trying to downgrade firmware.  If anyone has any ideas, I'd greatly appreciate them!

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
Re: Can't downgrade DIR-655 from firmware 1.35NA
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 09:07:04 PM »

Not sure why you can't downgrade, maybe something to with securespot being removed form the 1.35.

The Cook

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 03:17:36 AM »

they didn't fix anything in 1.35.  it's a persistent bug that's been in the firmware and dlink has no interest in fixing it.

I'd suggest finding out how to downgrade to 1.21 and leaving it as is.  There's a few threads here and elsewhere on how to downgrade the router.

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »

The did remove SecureSpot from the firmware, and that could be the issue with trying to go back to 1.3X.

Sammydad1

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 12:03:38 PM »

After saving my configuration file from 1.34 before upgrading to 1.35 and then imported it back into 1.35 with no issues at all.

The upgrade to 1.3x information has always said you couldn't downgrade past 1.30 once you upgraded beyond 1.2X   To me, that implies you definitely SHOULD be able to go from 1.35 to 1.34 with issues....but thats me.
DIR-655 A2, FW: 1.35NA

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 12:54:02 PM »

I agree that you should be able to go to any firmware that are in the same family.  All of the previous 1.3X's have been able to go to a lower 1.3x.  I have a feeling that the way they removed the securespot option is the reason that this one is not allowing the downgrade.