• April 19, 2024, 07:10:45 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Shareport problems with Fast User Switching  (Read 7909 times)

Loek Rots

Shareport problems with Fast User Switching
« on: January 05, 2009, 11:40:29 AM »

Hello,

I have searched the forums for a topic where I can place questions or suggestions on the Shareport Software, but couldn't find it. Since I have a DIR 655 EU, I am placing it here :)

Could it be that the Shareport Software has a problem with fast user switching. I'm running the software on a laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 and when I login to my account, the software detects my Canon Pixma printer. Then when I fast switch to the account of my girlfriend, the icon in the systemtray stays red. When I switch back to my account it is still green...

One other thing: It would be nice if there would not appear a window on the taskbar when the icon in the system tray reports found hardware.

Overall I have to say: sweet! This piece of hardware/software is a big plus for this router.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 12:50:39 AM by Loek Rots »

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
Re: Shareport Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 12:58:07 PM »

Have both accounts adminstrator priviliges or is your girlfiend's account a 'user' account?
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

Loek Rots

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 01:02:20 PM »

they both are administrator..

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 01:12:17 PM »

How about (on the 'other account') right click the icon, go to "Dlink router 192.168.0.1" -> disable and repeat, but this time enable it again.

BTW, fast user switching can cause more Windows issue and I would advise you to just 'log off'.

Loek Rots

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 01:34:08 PM »

Ok..

I disable/enable on my own account: no effect

I disable/enable on my GF account: works! green light

log off/log on my GF account.. it's back on red :(

I disable/enable on my GF account: works! green light

though this is not optimal ofcourse, something to work on in next release of the program?

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 02:46:20 PM »

This might be one of the Windows limitations on drivers (and starting them up like at a startup, this sequence is different with Fast User switching since the drivers are already loaded), so I would be very interested if Dlink tech found a workaround.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 02:58:01 PM by EddieZ »

Loek Rots

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 10:36:27 PM »

yes I would too, since I always use fast user switching..

I see now that it also happens on xp (workstation).

Do I need to submit this 'bug' somewhere? Or will Dlink read this?

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 12:09:08 AM »

Dlink will read this, although to be honest it is not really a Shareport issue but one of the Fast user Switch issues of Windows (like I said before, there are many more drivers/apps that are affected by the Windows feature and disabling the feature has a preference. The gain compared to regular logoff is only 10 sec. max)

Loek Rots

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 09:54:53 AM »

not completely true.. the gain is not so much the time but the ability to let programs running and open!

I hope Dlink will sort this out since I think many other users will have the problem.