• March 28, 2024, 10:22:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DNS-323 Fan Powerdown problems  (Read 29300 times)

wraith

• Level 1 Member
Re: DNS-323 Fan Powerdown problems
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 04:33:01 PM »

I'll add my 2 cents with the same problem -- the fan just won't shut off.

New DNS-323, H/W version C1, running the latest firmware (1.09).  The NAS is on the floor in my basement office, there's 2 feet of snow outside, and the basement is downright COLD!  The device interface info shows the inside temp overnight with drives spun down to be 82 F / 28 C.  Fan control set to "Auto (Off / Low / High)." Numerous error messages in error log read "Fan can't stop, check it please."

Called D-Link support twice.  I told the level one tech that it was approximately 60 degrees in the room, the device had been idle overnight, drives were shut down, no activity, etc. yet the fan was still blowing.  She said the unit was functioning properly, and that it would shut off automatically when the enclosure was cool enough.  I kept harping on the error message in the log file and was eventually passed on to level 2 support.

I was cut-off before getting to level 2, but when I did get through and repeated all the symptoms, went through a restart, swore that I had the latest firmware and configuration settings correct, they eventually authorized a return reference number through Amazon for being a defective unit.  I'm requesting an identical DNS-323, so here's hoping it's not a systemic problem!

jaoros

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 09:33:52 AM »

Im at 33c and my fans were running. If I re-save the fan settings it shuts down for a while.
When I come back later I noticed the fan on again, Seems reloading the setting fixes it for a time.
Weird..

jaoros

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 09:48:49 AM »

Never mind.. NOOB here, C1 hardware..UFF DA!
Sorry

eilz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 02:18:57 PM »

Have h/w C1 have updated from stock 1.08 to 1.09 firmware, my fan ALSO stays on,

I think the drives are kinda powering down although not 100% sure they are totally spun down.  

Can anyone help, I thought it might be the fact I upgraded from stock firmware, maybe the stock 1.08 firmware was ok, can anyone confirm this?

Is this ONLY a C1 problem? Help?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 02:22:58 PM by eilz »

Liffeyman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 09:47:44 PM »

Folks,

Very much a newbe here, only have my dns-323 3 days, noticed the same myself. Running firmware 1.08 and it's Revision C1. WD 2T green

Was set to Auto (off, low, high), set it Auto (low, high) applied changes. Then reset it to Auto (off, low, high) and the fan powered off after about 30 secs.

The temp was about 85ish with the fans running and is now at 98°F / 37°C and the fans are still off.

Hopefully that has fixed it and i wont have to keep resetting it.

Anyone know if the are going to address this issue with the new updated firmware?

tosbert

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 06:42:50 AM »

I've flashed 1.10 beta and the fan hasn't been on since. Temp never rises above 42 though.
Fan never shut-down with 1.08.

jtma67

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 11:33:53 PM »

Tosbert... can you provide the link to beta firmware v 1.10?   I've have been looking forward to the day this fan fix came out ... this is the one and only complaint that I have with the DNS-323-1TB unit.... I bought it so that it would sit silently unless it was being accessed.   I don't care that the fan runs while it is being accessed, but my computers are off 60% of the time....to save on energy.

Thanks for your help.

John

jtma67

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 11:37:50 PM »

Tosbert... cancel that request...I found it ... sorry... it's late here.

eilz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 09:50:53 AM »

-- C1 Related --
q1 Now that 1.10 turns off fans, has anyone actually seem them come on when they past a certain temp, as earlier post says they are reaching 37°C and the fans are still off, which is quite worrying?

q2 Can you controll fan temp e.g. I mean set the temp they come on lower than 37°C?

« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 09:53:46 AM by eilz »

Eric-Tom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2011, 10:57:17 PM »

I have the same issue with C1 hardware and with firmware v1.09 and it is annoying because it will take the life out of the fans and soon I may have to replace the fan(s) due to too much use.
DIR-825(Main Router)
DIR-655(Used as a wireless access point to extend the coverage)
DGS-1005G 5-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch
DNS-323 NAS with 2 WD 1.5TB in Standard 2 volume set up
PS3, my own server and 5 other computers on the network with BlackBerry 9700 and iPod on wifi

tosbert

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2011, 03:05:06 AM »

-- C1 Related --
q1 Now that 1.10 turns off fans, has anyone actually seem them come on when they past a certain temp, as earlier post says they are reaching 37°C and the fans are still off, which is quite worrying?

q2 Can you controll fan temp e.g. I mean set the temp they come on lower than 37°C?
Apparently, d-link say -
OFF = 43 degree celcius
LOW = 46 degree celcius
HIGH = 49 degree celcius

eilz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2011, 03:39:29 AM »

Apparently, d-link say -
OFF = 43 degree celcius
LOW = 46 degree celcius
HIGH = 49 degree celcius

Can anyone confirm this?

Boogieman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2011, 05:57:25 PM »

I am running 1.08
HW ver B1
Fan mode Auto(Off/Low/High)

Fan turns ON SLOW at 46 deg c (for sure)
Fan turns OFF at 43 (not sure about this one)
Have never seen NAS reching 49. Am a bit worried how hot the disks are since above temps represent enclosure temp, the drives are most likely not the same (probably higher).

Have made the "rear fan mod" = increasing air discharge area by about 30-40%, but thats of no use unless the fans spin up properly. Am thinking of modding the intake as well since I am more concerned about temp than noise. DNS-323 seems to run underpressured since intake area is a lot smaller than discharge area.
Probably will add the fan script since D-link sucks att giving adequeate info. Probably also the SMART script so I know what the heck the drive temps are. Hackers can do it, but obviously Dlinks technicians lack some of that skill. Happily there are linux-gurus in the community :)

Drives present below (3 torrents running in transmission towards left bay)

Bay Right WD15EADS (1.5TB)
----------------------------
Temperature (Metric)
 Operating 0 to 60
 Non-operating -40 to 70

- Power Dissipation
 Read/Write 6.00 Watts
 Idle 3.70 Watts
 Standby 0.80 Watts
 Sleep 0.80 Watts

Bay (left) WD20EARS (2TB)
--------------------------
Temperature (Metric)
 Operating -0° C to 60° C
 Non-operating -40° C to 70° C

Power Dissipation
 Read/Write 6.00 Watts
 Idle 3.70 Watts
 Standby 0.80 Watts
 Sleep 0.80 Watts

Full drive specs http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-701229.pdf

eilz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2011, 02:48:56 AM »

I am running 1.08
HW ver B1
Fan mode Auto(Off/Low/High)

Fan turns ON SLOW at 46 deg c (for sure)
Fan turns OFF at 43 (not sure about this one)
Have never seen NAS reching 49. Am a bit worried how hot the disks are since above temps represent enclosure temp, the drives are most likely not the same (probably higher).

Have made the "rear fan mod" = increasing air discharge area by about 30-40%, but thats of no use unless the fans spin up properly. Am thinking of modding the intake as well since I am more concerned about temp than noise. DNS-323 seems to run underpressured since intake area is a lot smaller than discharge area.
Probably will add the fan script since D-link sucks att giving adequeate info. Probably also the SMART script so I know what the heck the drive temps are. Hackers can do it, but obviously Dlinks technicians lack some of that skill. Happily there are linux-gurus in the community :)

Boogieman, can you please give us a step by step on how to do the:

a) "rear fan mod"
b) "fan script"  - I thought it only worked on older revision before c1, I'd really aprreciate help setting this up as I am too worried about heat of drives.

OlegMZ

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2011, 05:54:58 AM »

Here are my 2 cents regarding this issue.
I came across this issue the same day I started my DNS-323 for the first tine (firmware 1.08). Or to be more precise the same day I RESTARTED my DNS-323, because everything was working fine after initial setup - fan stopped and started no problem.
It looks like after restart firmware 1.08 puts fan into low/high mode no matter what's configured. So my workaround is very simple. Whenever I restart my DNS I go to web interface, power settings, make sure that fan setting is still on OFF/LOW/HIGH and JUST PRESS Save Settings BUTTON. That's it! I do not touch anything else.
Right after that fan momentarily starts spinning on High and then stops. Works for me 100%.
Pages: 1 [2] 3