• April 19, 2024, 01:57:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Problems With Wired Connections - Nothing is Recognized in My Internal Network  (Read 3096 times)

CLBear

• Level 1 Member

Hi Everyone...

I'm new to the forum and pretty new to wireless/wired home networking (so please be gentle on some of the terminology.  I seem to have a problem with the new DIR-655 router that I just purchased.  It seems there is a problem with the wired portion of my router.  Wireless is working fine, but anything that I plug into my router via a wired connection isn't working right and my home network has problems recognizing it.

Here is my current setup:

• DSL Modem - My old DSL router/modem (2WIRE) has been configured to now act simply as a modem/bridge for my network.  I've turned off wireless on the 2WIRE and also disable all routing functionality.  This device is simply setup to act as the modem device only.  This device just has the phone line going into it, then I have a network cable going from the back of the device from one of its ports, into the WAN port of my DIR-655
  • DIR-655 - The 655 is now my new router for my network.  I've run the configuration and setup a new wireless network for my house.  It has the network cable from my old 2WIRE going into the WAN port on the back.  From the 655, I have 2 wired devices hooked up via Cat6 cables...
  • Playstation 3 (PS3) - The first device I have hooked up is the PS3.  When I'm connected wirelessly, the PS3 can recognize any media servers (my laptop) that I have running on my network.  I am able to stream music, video etc.

The problem is when I'm hooked up via a WIRED connection.  The PS3 says that Upnp is disabled and I'm unable to actually see any media servers on my network anymore
  • Tivo - Same issue as above.  Cannot see anything on the network via wired connection.  Wireless works fine
  • Two laptop computers - Will either connect wirelessly or wired depending on what I want to transfer.  Wireless works fine, wired not.
I bought this router to specifically plug in devices so I could take advantage of the gigabit speeds when transferring between wires devices.  I'm a little confused because it seems that when most people have problems with a router, they have problems with devices that are hooked up wirelessly.  I've never seen a problem where things hooked up wirelessly work fine, but any device hooked directly into the router itself has problems!

I've checked the router settings and it seems the Upnp option is selected and enabled.  I've also read some items saying that the PS3 should be port forwarded on the router as well, but I wouldn't see why I would need to do that if it is plugged directly into the device.  I'm also not too familiar with what port forwarding is, so i'm a little uncomfortable doing that.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!  Why can't I see my wired devices!?!

CLBear

• Level 1 Member

Ok, I think I may have fixed the problem by enabling the "Multicast Streams" setting.

I don't know if this is the correct thing to do, but my PS3 can now see my laptop as a streaming device when my PS3 is plugged in via a network cable.

Does anyone have any advice on this?  Anyone?

In0va3

• Level 2 Member

Go to a local retail store and get the same router and see if that has problems so you can rule out the possibility that it's the router's fault. If theres only issues with the original router then return that to the retail store since they're both the same products.  ;D

Then maybe you should be fine?