• May 05, 2024, 11:27:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Shareport Utility Clumsy, Any Workaround via Print Spooling  (Read 5607 times)

jborchel

• Level 1 Member
Shareport Utility Clumsy, Any Workaround via Print Spooling
« on: November 05, 2009, 07:33:04 AM »

My wife and I share a HP printer through the USB Shareport Utility. I find this cumbersome and sometimes difficult to manage. It seems ther should be an automated way that the jobs should go to a print queue and be spooled without the need for the Shareport Utility. Is this possible?

Jack

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
Re: Shareport Utility Clumsy, Any Workaround via Print Spooling
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 02:26:01 PM »

Simple answer: no

There's no printserver present, so a connecting utility is necessary. That's the articficial printserver.
You can always try programming one yourself.... ;)
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

Wand

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 02:56:51 PM »

Get a printer server or a new networked printer.  Seriously, SharePort isn't good as a continuously connected device as it can only be used by one computer at a time.  My wife and I have had several times when things locked up, but the print jobs went to the local spooler of the offline printer, and then we connect to the SharePort printer of choice.  (Actually hook up a USB hub and two printers and you each can use one, along with other peripherals.)
Multiple PCs and Servers.  Support other installations.  Have used D-Link Products since 1986.

MDCWLAF

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 06:03:42 AM »

Could this possibly work?

1. Start Shareport on one PC.
2. Connect to the printer from the PC with Shareport.
3. Share the printer in Windows .

The only negative thing I have found is that the PC with Shareport and the connection must not go into sleep mode.

Sammydad1

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 08:52:46 AM »

until shareport gets fixed fully...go buy a cheap USB to ethernet printserver....the only thing you give up is the ink levels back from the printer to your pc....
DIR-655 A2, FW: 1.35NA