• April 16, 2024, 03:08:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: USB port  (Read 2166 times)

etienne74

• Level 1 Member
USB port
« on: November 02, 2009, 01:52:31 AM »

Hello,

I bought this DIR-655 last friday, I like the product.
Since I have upgraded from my Asus 500g (54mbit wireless), I have a question and/or request regarding the USB port.
I tried the shareport and got it working. But I noticed that have you to install shareport on every pc and manually connect to the hardware (in my case a printer) to be able to use it.

With the Asus 500g you have the possibility to connect a USB printer as well which will then be assigned the IP adress of the router automatically. In other words, I can just set up a printer on ANY PC with printer port being the IP port (eg. 192.168.2.1, port 9100 with RAW if I am not mistaken). So no need to manually connect/disconnect every time.

Is this somehow possible in the DIR-655?
If not, maybe a nice change for the next firmware? (better very well copied, than invent it yourself :P )

Thanks,
Etienne

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
Re: USB port
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 08:07:10 AM »

There is a difference.
Shareport is not a printserver so Shareport can not only connect printers but also harddisks and scanners.
It is a virtual USB port over TCP/IP and therefor needs the driver to be installed on each machine.

Sammydad1

• Level 5 Member
Re: USB port
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 10:40:23 AM »

Hi,

In other words, the shareport software, once set up intercepts the USB connection for your assigned printer, and sends it out to the USB port as it finds it on the router.

Your printer driver software assumes its a local USB port, so it doesn't care.

You can semi-automate the actual printer selection by adjusting the settings inside the shareport utility; so that you don't have to select "CONNECT" each toime you print to your shareport controlled printer.

SD1
DIR-655 A2, FW: 1.35NA