• April 24, 2024, 07:20:55 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Looking At Buying The 343, Have Questions.  (Read 12361 times)

therock

• Level 1 Member
Looking At Buying The 343, Have Questions.
« on: February 13, 2009, 02:45:13 PM »

Thanks for Looking,

Does the 343 work well with Vista x64 SP1 Home Premium.

If I add just two drives in RAID1 or JBOD and then want to add 2 more later and go RAID5 what will I have to do? Format? In other words, whats the best way to start out with 2 drives looking at expansion later.

I use a Trendnet TEW-633GR router and it does very well. Any issues with the 343?

Where is the best place to purchase?

Thanks.

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: Looking At Buying The 343, Have Questions.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 03:05:32 PM »

If you are looking to expand in the future to raid 5 I would highly suggest your first couple of drives to be left as a standard un-raided drive.

What do you mean by working well with Vista X64? Does it work? Yes, you can access your files from Vista 64.

There is no reported compatability issues with routers at this time.

therock

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 03:23:47 PM »

Thanks,

Just wondering if there are any Vista x64 issues.

I have lurked around and read about a large file transfer drop out when the front panel lights timed out? Or did they mean the unit goes to sleep?

Can you tell me about remote users setup for file access say to FTP for folder browsing to download? What SSL and/or static IP setups or vendors are you guys liking?   

Malacoda

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 10:43:14 AM »

Well, 1.5TB+ drive support is spotty and only in Beta firmware.  The UPnP AV server ignores configurations and just shares everything on the drive.  Also: the iTunes server is audio only, network writes to it are slow, Jumbo frames actually appear to slow down most transfers, there is no NFS or AFP, most Raid creation hangs at 94% for several hours, Raid drives are often initialized with corrupted partitions, and some of my Macs reliably freeze it with the latest firmware to the point that I have to pull the power cable (which put the Raid in a day-long rebuild).  I also hear that Active Directory support was claimed in the last Beta release and is supposedly not working, but I have not tested this specific bug.

And to top it off, they have been really, really slow at releasing updates. Yay!

Official D-link people, please read this and rally your developers.  The DNS-343 is in sad shape.

therock

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 12:34:45 PM »

OoooooooWeee!

Thanks

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 10:44:16 AM »

Well, 1.5TB+ drive support is spotty and only in Beta firmware.  The UPnP AV server ignores configurations and just shares everything on the drive.  Also: the iTunes server is audio only, network writes to it are slow, Jumbo frames actually appear to slow down most transfers, there is no NFS or AFP, most Raid creation hangs at 94% for several hours, Raid drives are often initialized with corrupted partitions, and some of my Macs reliably freeze it with the latest firmware to the point that I have to pull the power cable (which put the Raid in a day-long rebuild).  I also hear that Active Directory support was claimed in the last Beta release and is supposedly not working, but I have not tested this specific bug.

And to top it off, they have been really, really slow at releasing updates. Yay!

Official D-link people, please read this and rally your developers.  The DNS-343 is in sad shape.

1. How is 1.5tb spotty? Does it format? Does it work? Yes.
2. UPNP AV ignores configurations: How so? We are capable of sharing out a single folder here using the same firmware. Please provide your setup and test results.
3. iTunes Server is audio only: We never claimed anything other than audio support for the iTunes server.
4. Network writes are slow: Seems pretty one sided. You do not provide any actual results or throughput testing. This is your network issue not the devices in general.
5. Jumbo Frames appear to slow down most transfers: Jumbo frames increased my throughput dramatically. What speeds are you getting? What MTU size? What size file transfers?
6. We don't claim NFS or AFP support.
7. Browser hangs at 94% for hours: What browser are you using? Have you tried multiple?
8. Raid drives are often initialized with corrupted paritions: Where do you get this from? Please provide a post with testing that shows this theory.

Also D-Link actively updates all of our product lines with new features and functionality that were not sold with the box. We could choose to sell a product and stop supporting it though, but we don't.

mellor

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 01:22:07 PM »

BTW, Great post by the Mod. Good to know you guys are on top of things as far as supporting the customer base.

My question is in regards to 343 vrs the 323.

I really like the idea that the 323 has a Bit Torrent client built into the NAS.

We are currently looking at a low cost NAS to support our customer base for sql data backup, machine backups and pushing update to the customer. (I havent tested this yet, or bought a 323 to test) The 323 with a BT client sounds like it could help out with the pushing data to our customers and taking advantage of distributive nature of BT.
The 343 has the raid configuration desired.

Does the 343 also have a BT client?

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 04:52:43 PM »

1.03 firmware for the DNS-343 was pushed back due to some developement issues. Our current plans is to add the BT client into the DNS-343 in 1.04. I can not give a timeline other than to say, "there are plans".

northja

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 10:08:14 AM »

I have two of these and the 1.02a is not working with the 1.5TB drives.  It seemed OK for about two weeks, than sent me an automated response to say that a drive Failed.  (used Raid5 - protected) to set it up in the first place.  So thinking that it's protected, I went a ahead and powered down the device and put in another 1.5TB drive (same) and started it back up.  Guess what?  It came up like it was a Brandnew system.. I LOST EVERYTHING!!

Summary: First thing is that this devices is about 1/4 of the speed of a USB device, so if you want to back up some servers or make this a SAN file share.. Please beware, your users will start complaining one it's installed.  I even have tried to hook it up to an enterprise 1GB connection or directly to a Server 1GB NIC care and there's no difference.  You can't depend on any of the RAID Settings when setting it up.  So to me these two devices I spent a bunch on are better used as BOAT ANCHORS.  I have had these devices for about 4 months and have had nothing but issues.  Have waited for a beta realease so it supported my 1.5 TB drives and once it was released, it was flakey as can be.  I would not only, NOT buy this but double guess purchasing any other product that DLink has.  Just my two cents, and hopefully this lights a fire up under them to really take care of this (once and for all)

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 11:18:53 AM »

Other moderators would probably delete your flame but instead im going to reply;

You are criticizing the device and yet out of your total 3 posts you are complaining in, you fail to provide any information on how to duplicate your issues. You are also using Seagate 1.5 TB drives and complaining about drive drop outs when there is a KNOWN bug in Seagates firmware that causes this. Have you upgraded them? It wasn't mentioned in any of your posts either.

What network speeds are you getting? What network speeds are you expecting?

This device is NOT a SAN and should not be treated as one.

Feel free to post your issues on these forums because that is what they are for but if you expect any real help you should post helpful data instead of just flames.

chaicka

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 12:42:53 PM »

1.03 firmware for the DNS-343 was pushed back due to some developement issues. Our current plans is to add the BT client into the DNS-343 in 1.04. I can not give a timeline other than to say, "there are plans".

Is there any 'plans' to fix the issue with Active Directory? It's broken since official firmware 1.02. Yet, there is plans for BT client when key announced function is not fix?

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 02:47:40 PM »

It along with other issues are being looked at.

melvynadam

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 02:14:43 AM »

You are also using Seagate 1.5 TB drives and complaining about drive drop outs when there is a KNOWN bug in Seagates firmware that causes this.

Please tell me that in the 4 months since this post this issue has been fixed.

I've just ordered 2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5 TB to go with a DNS-343 that I'd like to buy.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 09:47:12 AM »

Yes. Seagate created firmware for there drives to correct the issue in the drive.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

thebeck

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 11:36:40 AM »

Moderators, you are doing a great job.  Please keep up the good work!  I fully support you.  My DNS-323 and two DNS-343's are running great (all Western Digital drives).  In regards to the DNS-343, I can't wait for the final 1.03 firmware and look forward to testing the 1.04 firmware (and add-on packages).
1) DNS-323 2x1.0TB (WD10EACS)-RAID 1 EXT3-1.08: Mac "Time Capsule"
2) DNS-343 4x2.0TB (WD20EADS)-RAID 5 EXT3-1.03: Copy of #1 + other stuff
3) DNS-343 4x2.0TB (WD20EADS)-RAID 5 EXT3-1.03: Remote mirrored backup of #2
4) DNS-323 2x500MB-RAID 1 EXT3-1.10b5: Playground

ffp 0.5 on all
Pages: [1] 2