• April 27, 2024, 10:47:32 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-343 Slow down & choppy video streaming  (Read 8392 times)

xsylarx

• Level 1 Member
DNS-343 Slow down & choppy video streaming
« on: December 05, 2010, 09:36:53 AM »

Hi all.

I have been using my dns-343 for about 8 months now. Everything was working great. Suddenly now when I stream video 1080P or all video rather it is very choppy and hangs up.

I had noticed the 343 power was off. I believe the cable guy might of loosened the power cable. It was still plugged in but out just enough to turn off the unit. I plugged it back in.

Since then this problem started happening. I can still access files and copy to and from the unit. The temperature of the unit is between 109F - 116F. Drives are about 37 degrees celcius

Im on gigabit dlink DIR-655 extreme gigabit router. Everything is wired connection not using wireless to stream.

I have four 2 TB Western Digital drives (WD20EARS) in RAID 5

I ran scan disk on the drives. I also currently running a S.M.A.R.T. Test on drives. drives 2,3 and 4 have PASS. The first drive is at 90% of test and is still testing. Been 4 hours. Not sure why drive one is taking so long to complete test. I am using the current firmware. I have tried upgrading to 1.4 beta. but have not reset the unit from the back.

I have noticed Sync time remaining is 3440 minutes since I initially found the unit off.

Im set to 1000 mbps. Static IP. 9000 jumbo frames.

What could be causing this problem? Is there lag in video streaming because of the sync time? Bad HD? Faulty dns 343?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jay.

ps if i manual rebuild would i lose my data if im not swapping drives?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 09:39:27 AM by xsylarx »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: DNS-343 Slow down & choppy video streaming
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 06:56:09 AM »

This forum has been relatively inactive recently due to lack of updates and D'Link support.  You will probably have better luck posting your question in the DNS-323 forum.  Functionally, the DNS-343 and DNS-323 perform similarly, so someone should be able to address your issue there.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 02:16:41 PM »

Hi all.

I have been using my dns-343 for about 8 months now. Everything was working great. Suddenly now when I stream video 1080P or all video rather it is very choppy and hangs up.

I had noticed the 343 power was off. I believe the cable guy might of loosened the power cable. It was still plugged in but out just enough to turn off the unit. I plugged it back in.

Since then this problem started happening. I can still access files and copy to and from the unit. The temperature of the unit is between 109F - 116F. Drives are about 37 degrees celcius

Im on gigabit dlink DIR-655 extreme gigabit router. Everything is wired connection not using wireless to stream.

I have four 2 TB Western Digital drives (WD20EARS) in RAID 5

I ran scan disk on the drives. I also currently running a S.M.A.R.T. Test on drives. drives 2,3 and 4 have PASS. The first drive is at 90% of test and is still testing. Been 4 hours. Not sure why drive one is taking so long to complete test. I am using the current firmware. I have tried upgrading to 1.4 beta. but have not reset the unit from the back.

I have noticed Sync time remaining is 3440 minutes since I initially found the unit off.

Im set to 1000 mbps. Static IP. 9000 jumbo frames.

What could be causing this problem? Is there lag in video streaming because of the sync time? Bad HD? Faulty dns 343?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jay.

ps if i manual rebuild would i lose my data if im not swapping drives?

Sync time would impact the performance of the DNS-343 especially since Raid5 already loses some throughput due to the raid level. Manually rebuilding your raid should rebuild the raid partition without affecting your data but as people always say, if its vital data you should have backups.

BC2112

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 07:36:11 PM »

Nice to see you back D-Link Multimedia

Any news with your company  ;)

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 05:24:57 PM »

Nice to see you back D-Link Multimedia

Any news with your company  ;)

Well other than I am allowed out of my cage....not much I can talk about until after CES :).

BC2112

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 07:34:40 PM »

any idea as to firmware status of 343?

kriskizlyk

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 10:57:04 AM »

To xsylarx,

I have the same problem my friend.  I have only had this guy for about two - three weeks.  I have the same setup as you with the DIR-655 and the DNS-343.  The difference is I had 2 Seagates and 2 WD - Ears drives.  I know people were having problems with reading from the EARS drives with the larger sectors.  So I bough 4 matching Seagate 2TB drives and put them in...still no change.

My sync time is around 1000minutes for the RAID 5 and the bastard hates me when I try to stream HD to it...YET my 323 works great for streaming when I run it as two individual disks.  If I go to individual disk drives it seems to stream OK, but really I didn't pay $400 to not be able to use the RAID 5.  D-Link guy...are we doing something wrong?

I would try your rebuild suggestion....but it is ghosted out.

zoxzax00

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 06:43:58 AM »

Hey guys, your problem same like me. Only one solution is backup data to new HDD by HDD dock and reformat. It use time about 2-3 days. If your DNS is Raid5, you cannot use manually rebuild because it will rebuild again and again although you rebuild completed. It will show Raid5 Degrade after you restart DNS.  One solution back up and reformat again. I found this solution after I talked to Australia D-link support. He tried to help but did not work.  After this problem, I never trust Raid5 and also I back up all data now.

Goodluck