• March 28, 2024, 09:04:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ubuntu (8.10 and 9.04 alpha 5) can't see the SSID of DIR-655 with FW 1.21EU  (Read 15270 times)

pixolex

• Level 1 Member

I'm having a problems with the new firmware 1.21EU. My Ubuntu 8.10 can't connect and can't see the SSID of DIR-655 with the FW 1.21EU.

I have at home 1 PDA with windows mobile 6.0 (wireless) , 1 Desktop with ubuntu 8.10 (wired and wireless USB pen) and 1 laptop with double boot Windows XP and ubuntu 8.10 (wired and wireless on board).

With the new firmware, Windows (windows mobile and windows XP) can see the SSID of the router and connect to it, it's very fast indeed, much more than with the old firmware, but with ubuntu 8.10 (i tried today with 9.04 alpha 5, also) the SSID is not seen and even if i try to connect to a hidden network manually entering the SSID, the connection is not done.

I think the new firmware has something that it's not compatible with Ubuntu (linux?)

The wireless onboard from the laptop is intel, the wireless from the desktop is some USB pen from XAVI. All the hardware is different and it just can't see SSID of the router, even with different ubuntu and kernel versions?!?!

Can't someone with ubuntu and a wireless card/pen test/confirm if it can see the SSID and connect to the router with the new firmware (1.21EU), WPA-personal, 802.11 g ONLY, Auto (WPA or WPA2), TKIP and AES settings?

It's possible to just use the live CD from ubuntu, it's not mandatory to install ubuntu linux in the PC.

Tomorrow I'll try to install the old firmware in the router and test again .

EDIT: I forgot to tell that i can see almost 20 SSIDs from other wireless networks nearby, even if the signal is weak, but, at the same moment, in the PDA, i see the SSID of the DIR-655 router with full strength.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 03:25:28 PM by pixolex »

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member

Looking at the symptoms it is probably an Ubuntu issue. Alpha status software (pre-beta) is not advised to use unless you're prepared to settle with these kinds of issues.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

pixolex

• Level 1 Member

Looking at the symptoms it is probably an Ubuntu issue. Alpha status software (pre-beta) is not advised to use unless you're prepared to settle with these kinds of issues.

Maybe i haven't been clear. The problem exists with the STABLE 8.10 (older kernel) and with 9.04 Alpha 5 (newer kernel).

I'm pretty sure that it's a D-link firmware problem.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member

I noticed the 8.10 too late.

I still am not conviced it's dlink issue, since the SSID radio is quite simple and uniform broadcast.
You might want to change the SSID beacon period (standard 100 ), I think that will solve the issue. (Advanced-> Advanced Wireless) with your Linux platform and NIC (NIC driver sensitivity!).

pixolex

• Level 1 Member

I noticed the 8.10 too late.

I still am not convinced it's dlink issue, since the SSID radio is quite simple and uniform broadcast.
You might want to change the SSID beacon period (standard 100 ), I think that will solve the issue. (Advanced-> Advanced Wireless) with your Linux platform and NIC (NIC driver sensitivity!).

"...all my problems seems so far away... "  ;D

I followed your instructions and lowered the beacon period to 50 (ms?!?). Every thing is fine now, the connection to the router is faster than ever before in all my Ubuntu linux machines!

So, but you agree with me that there's any problem here, it's a show stopper problem.

Does the 100(ms) default value is a good value?
There's any problem with Ubuntu Linux that should be reported as bug?

Please give my your opinion.

Can any one test and try to reproduce the problem? I need to now if it's really a problem of Ubuntu or a random problem with the firmware/router.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Something wrong here...I tried to reproduce the problem again, resetting the beacon value to 100(ms), and now there is no problem?!?!?!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 02:12:56 PM by pixolex »

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member

100 is a common default. Some NICs/drivers have some issues recognizing an SSID. But this is probably an incident and is not considered a mjaor flaw or something.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member

Wireless is a fickle beast.
non progredi est regredi

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member

Wow having a great day it would seem?  ;D

mocher

• Level 1 Member

You can replace standard lan/wifi manager in Ubuntu with Wicd... Worked for me  :)

Fatman

• Level 9 Member

Wow having a great day it would seem?  ;D

No, I just have a chip on my shoulder concerning wireless.
non progredi est regredi

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member

If you need someone to talk to you can always send a PM  ;D

Fatman

• Level 9 Member

If I thought that you could convince the world of my wireless teachings I would have already sent you a check.

The world is just more depressing than usual when you see case after case where people who are sometimes well educated networking people who will still not understand that I can without hearing any details on a wireless case wave my hand dismissively and say "wireless environment" and be correct 100% of the time.
non progredi est regredi

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member

If I thought that you could convince the world of my wireless teachings I would have already sent you a check.

The world is just more depressing than usual when you see case after case where people who are sometimes well educated networking people who will still not understand that I can without hearing any details on a wireless case wave my hand dismissively and say "wireless environment" and be correct 100% of the time.

Welcome to my world  ;)

Fatman

• Level 9 Member

Welcome to my world  ;)

That is a throne I have contested for a while, tis you who may need to stand in line good sir.
non progredi est regredi

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member

That is a throne I have contested for a while, tis you who may need to stand in line good sir.

You really got to up your karma some more, Prince Fatman. The people have chosen by Karma Count.
Pages: [1] 2