• March 18, 2024, 09:08:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-857 drops connection daily  (Read 10865 times)

Dr.Carnage

• Level 1 Member
DIR-857 drops connection daily
« on: December 08, 2014, 07:52:46 PM »

I have had the DIR 857 for 2 years. It started dropping connection about a month ago. I have factory reset this router and configured it per other posts in this forum. Nothing had helped. I have assigned dhcp for all of my devices as well. I have cable through Vyve broadband which is a Cox affiliate. My hardware version is A1 and my firmware is the latest release. Please help me if you have a suggestion. I am close to smashing this overpriced piece of crap.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DIR-857 drops connection daily
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 07:42:15 AM »

Link>Welcome!

Ok, let see if we can help you from smashing the router. It's a good and solid router as I have had this one since it arrived. Please give feedback to the questions and suggestions so we can better help you to find out whats going on please.

• Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.
  • What region are you located?
  • Are you wired or wireless connected to the router?
  • Has a Factory Reset been performed?

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations
  • What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
  • What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?
  • Is ISP Modem/Service using Dynamic or Static WAN IP addressing?
  • What ISP Modem service link speeds UP and Down do you have?
  • Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Link> Cat6 is recommended.
  • Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values
  • For DSL/PPPoE connections on the router, ensure that "Always ON" option is enabled.

I recommend that you have your ISP check the cabling going to the ISP modem, check signal levels going to the ISP modem. For DSL or Fiber service lines, ensure that the ISP is using good working phone or cable lines to the DSL modem and that the phone lines are filtered correctly. For cable Internet, RG-6 coaxial cable is needed, not RG-59. Check for t.v. line splitters and remove them as they can introduce noise on the line and lower the signal going to the ISP modem. I recommend having the ISP service physically check the lines going from the out side to the ISP modem. Connecting to the ISP modem could result in a false positive as the signal to the modem could be just enough to that point then adding on a router, could see problems. The router operation is dependent upon getting good data flow from the ISP modem and the modem is dependent upon getting good signal from the ISP Service.

Wireless Configurations
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion and Good Neighbour Policy
  • Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones or WiFi APs near by that maybe causing interferences?
  • Any other WiFi routers in the area that maybe causing interferences? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many? Use v3, its free.
  • If you have any of these options, Try turning OFF or ON Short GI, WLAN Partition, Extra Wireless Protection and HT 20/40 Co-existence if you have it. Also testing with HT20/40Mhz Co-existence enabled will impact results as well. I prefer to use this option OFF. Recommended settings are default. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

Router Placement
Forum User - "Well I feel really dumb. After moving the router away from other electronic devices my speeds are back to normal. Just a heads up for anyone experiencing slow speeds, you might want to move it away from other electronics and see if that helps."
3-6' feet minimum safe distance between devices.
Placement on main level floor and central in the building and WELL ventilated is preferred. Not in basements or closets as building materials, or near by electronics devices could interfere or hinder good signal propagation.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/31083-smallnetbuilders-wireless-faq-the-essentials

Once you fill in the feedback will go from there. Will help you get it figured out.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Dunegoon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 11:10:05 AM »

Feel free to look at my similar thread (http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=61196.0)  and add to it if you see anything similar.  I'm thinking my problems are related to the new smartphones we brought home because we had no problems until then.  I'd be interested to know if you have new phones or something related to my troubles.  Besides, of course, the same router part number! :-[

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 11:28:06 AM »

Any status on this?  ???

I have had the DIR 857 for 2 years. It started dropping connection about a month ago. I have factory reset this router and configured it per other posts in this forum. Nothing had helped. I have assigned dhcp for all of my devices as well. I have cable through Vyve broadband which is a Cox affiliate. My hardware version is A1 and my firmware is the latest release. Please help me if you have a suggestion. I am close to smashing this overpriced piece of ****.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.