• April 16, 2024, 04:44:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Shareport can't print more than 20 pages at a time?  (Read 6417 times)

prr

• Level 1 Member
Shareport can't print more than 20 pages at a time?
« on: March 19, 2010, 12:08:47 PM »

After realizing that I couldn't print more than 15-20 pages at a time using the Shareport utility, I called D-Link's technical support and after 50 minutes, was told by their support staff that I can't use Shareport for print jobs larger than this (I wish they could have told me this at some point earlier in the conversation).

I find this hard to believe, although at the same time, the tech support person told me that because I was able to print small jobs, there was nothing wrong with Shareport itself (plausible, I suppose).

Does this match the experience of others using Shareport? I have it on a D-Link DIR-655 wireless router, with two computers (laptop and desktop), both running XP SP3, connected to my HP Laserjet 1018 via a USB cable (to the router).  I get the same poor results regardless of the computer I'm using.

Is there anything I can do? The tech support rep didn't give me any troubleshooting or settings to check after I told her that my firmware and Shareport were both upgraded.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
Re: Shareport can't print more than 20 pages at a time?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 01:08:29 PM »

After realizing that I couldn't print more than 15-20 pages at a time using the Shareport utility, I called D-Link's technical support and after 50 minutes, was told by their support staff that I can't use Shareport for print jobs larger than this (I wish they could have told me this at some point earlier in the conversation).

I find this hard to believe, although at the same time, the tech support person told me that because I was able to print small jobs, there was nothing wrong with Shareport itself (plausible, I suppose).

Does this match the experience of others using Shareport? I have it on a D-Link DIR-655 wireless router, with two computers (laptop and desktop), both running XP SP3, connected to my HP Laserjet 1018 via a USB cable (to the router).  I get the same poor results regardless of the computer I'm using.

Is there anything I can do? The tech support rep didn't give me any troubleshooting or settings to check after I told her that my firmware and Shareport were both upgraded.

No, I have printed larger sets than 20 often (100-150).
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

Sammydad1

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 10:53:09 PM »

a bump here....

You could always invest in one of those USB Print Servers and dump shareport altogether....they cost often between $30 and $50 depending on features....
DIR-655 A2, FW: 1.35NA

klaus

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 04:57:34 AM »

what version of shareport is everyone using?  Is it Shareport V3.0?

That seems to come up on a few other strings, but I don't know if that solved the printing problems.

(I have just purchased a DIR-655 intending to use Shareport for printing with my HP Officejet K550, but am wondering if I should "quit while I'm ahead", and simply return the DIR-655 and find another wireless)

jh

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »

What model printer is it? What driver are you using? Do you have a solid network connection?
SharePort emulates USB on the PC and should work similar to a direct USB connection. There shouldn't be limitations for number of print jobs.

robotek

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 06:53:54 AM »

desktop OS windows vista
laptop OS windows 7
router DIR-655
shareport version: stock from the store
printer brother 2140
I had the similar problem, only my was worse. I could not print more than 5-10 pages at a time, and if I mistakenly click "print" on larger job, then all kinds of crazy things has taken place. thing like running through the whole stock of paper (about 50-70 sheets) in the tray and printing a couple of lines on each sheet.
At least I could print somehow then. Now, it would not connect to printer for nothing. I reinstalled router and shareport drivers, same thing. I think of taking this router back to the store and get my money back.
Any suggestions people?

prr

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 05:28:15 PM »

Sorry. I'm still having problems. In addition, when I send 3-4 print jobs (of even only 1-2 pages) quickly one after the other, they take 3-4 minutes to print each. This is ridiculous.

The DIR-655 was introduced to me as the "Cadillac" of routers, but after seeing all teh complaints here, and the lack of answers provided by D-Link support staff, I don't believe it was just me who got a lemon--it was more than that.

I'm not sure I'd return it unless I was sure that something else could do the same job. Despite the problems, I can work both my printer and scanner wirelessly, as well as surf wirelessly, so that (barely) outweighs the problems this gives me. I'm not at all sure that other wireless routers could do this for me. So I'm keeping mine. But since you said that you can't print at all, I'd definitely take it back--the D-Link tech support told me that I could not expect this router to handle large print jobs at all--they said it was not  a problem with the router or firmware!