• March 28, 2024, 01:21:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Jumbo Frames - Benefits  (Read 5367 times)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Jumbo Frames - Benefits
« on: January 18, 2010, 12:10:37 PM »

For a DNS-343 used primarily for streaming media, is there an appreciable performance increase with jumbo frames enabled with HDDs formatted as standard volumes?  Conceptually, I understand the benefits of using jumbo frames, but are these noticeable?  Also, are there any negative consequences to setting the MTU too high?
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

Bhavik

• Level 2 Member
Re: Jumbo Frames - Benefits
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 05:05:52 AM »

It depends, overall it decreases the overhead in processing required but the cpu.

The only problem is, if you aren't transferring large blocks of data it is no use to you, in fact it may reduce the performance if sending small blocks odata since the frames aren't being filled completely.

It really depends on your network and data your shifting around. You should give it a go and find out.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Jumbo Frames - Benefits
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 05:29:19 AM »

Thanks.  I expected to take a performance hit when transferring/accessing smaller files, but the device is primarily used for streaming large media files.  My thought was that conceptually, enabling jumbo frames would facilitate smoother playback since data is transferred in larger blocks, minimizing any buffering issues.

I've been using the DNS-343 with jumbo frames enabled and disabled. . . and I don't see a discernible difference thus far.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC