• March 29, 2024, 08:48:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: hidden network  (Read 13596 times)

caspeer

• Level 2 Member
hidden network
« on: September 27, 2011, 11:01:59 AM »

hey there. is there any setting to hide my wireless network so that ppl can't see it? and where that setting is located. ty in advance

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: hidden network
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 11:12:45 AM »

In the web interface, navigate to: Setup -> Wireless Settings -> Manual Wireless Network Setup

Next scroll down to the "Wireless Network Settings" heading and change the "Visibility Status" to "Invisible". This setting will prevent the router from broadcasting the network name.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

caspeer

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 11:13:30 AM »

i found it by myself just now :D ty anyway

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »

No problem. Glad to help.

caspeer

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 11:18:34 AM »

i appreciate the help

caspeer

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 05:15:21 AM »

hiding is the case for me. the so called "internet administrator" in campus forbids the usage of wify routers and only cable routers are allowed. personally i can't understand why, can someone explain?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 05:18:37 AM »

hiding is the case for me. the so called "internet administrator" in campus forbids the usage of wify routers and only cable routers are allowed. personally i can't understand why, can someone explain?

IT may be trying to prevent outside individuals from picking up unsecured wireless and using available bandwidth. The administrator has no means of enforcing wireless security at the router level.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 05:22:12 AM »

When you say "campus" are you referring to an academic setting? There may have been prior instances where students were accused of downloading inappropriate (i.e. pirated) material or using too much bandwidth. Precluding the use of wireless routers will avoid the excuse of "I didn't download that file, someone must have been using my wireless connection without my knowledge".

caspeer

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 05:39:57 AM »

for the bandwith we already have a stupid thing called trafic quota. after 350 so called "sesions" we get banned from the internet atutomaticly for 1 minute. if we open a webpage that has comercials or some pope-up our connection goes dead. it's the same for torents. besides the low speed we have, you can't do anything while the torrent client is connecting. and everyone that connects has his own id and pass.
but back to my curiosity. they say that the internet crashes are caused ONLY by the wify routers (my opinion is that their network is just crappy). is there anything different in the two connections that could cause that?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 05:54:22 AM »

There is a potential for greater overall bandwidth usage. If a user reaches the traffic quota for his/her assigned IP address, the user can immediately connect to another user's IP address via wireless without waiting. Using this method, users can hop among available IPs resulting in overall increased traffic.

If wireless is banned, there will always be a large percentage of IP addresses that never reach the traffic quota (i.e. the "high bandwidth users" will never have access to the "low bandwidth user" IP addresses).

If that traffic increase is enough to crash the institution's network, then their network infrastructure isn't designed to handle the load and should be upgraded.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 05:59:09 AM by JavaLawyer »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 05:56:17 AM »

BTW: Are you referring to an academic institution? That policy is insane. Not only are they instituting session caps, they are collecting advertising revenue to boot.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 06:00:45 AM by JavaLawyer »

caspeer

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 06:08:08 AM »

yes it's an academic campus. i forgot to mention that. the thing is you can't connect again using any other method because it's not like a dial-up connection when you enter in a shortcot from the network the id and pass. here you are asked for it when connecting with a browser. we had to fill out a contract in witch we had to fill out with our mac adress so the connection could be made. so we have an ip for every mac adress and a unique id and pass.
and if you don't use it for 4-5 minutes you get disconnected. it doesn't close your active connections like messengers, torent clients but when you want to open something new you need to reintroduce in your browser the id and pass....
is't really stupid in my opinion. routers don't have anything to do with the s***y (sorry for the word but that's how it is) connection and server that they have. just lame excuses from ppl that don't know what they are doing

caspeer

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 06:09:08 AM »

and as an extra it just takes 3 refreshes of my thread here to reach my quota cap :p

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 06:12:51 AM »

Geez, that's how free Internet connections at Starbucks and bookstores used to be configured 8 years ago. Thought we were past those days.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 06:18:54 AM by JavaLawyer »

caspeer

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 06:20:29 AM »

well here in romania they just got the idea from somewhere in the trash bin i supose.
so i got a response from the admin here and they say we shouldn't buy routers but buy switches because the routers give ip's that conflict with the big routers on every floor...
Pages: [1] 2