• April 23, 2024, 05:58:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Settings Help for XBox Live.  (Read 12724 times)

Elmar329

• Level 1 Member
Settings Help for XBox Live.
« on: May 10, 2008, 08:21:15 AM »

I have a Xbox 360 plugged into port 1. I was wondering what the best settings should be for this. Currently, the system is running great, but I have 1 friend with whom I can't connect on Xbox Live while I am running through the router. I just want to be sure the problem isn't on my end. Currently, these are the settings that I have:
Advanced > Gaming > Enable rule:
Xbox Live  TCP Ports: 3074  UDP Ports: 88, 3074 Schedule: Always  Inbound Filter: Allow All

I have also enabled GAMEFUEL with Automatic Classification, Dynamic Fragmentation, Manual Uplink Speed, and a Set Connection Type.

I would like to add a GAMEFUEL Rule for the 360, but do not know what the settings should be.

olddoc

• Level 1 Member
Re: Settings Help for XBox Live.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 11:26:41 AM »

Go to Advanced/gaming and add new rule:
Pull down on name and select Xbox Live.
Then associate it with the Xbox computer in the next entry of "ip address"
Then make a DHCP reservatio for the Xbox so it is always associated with the same ip address:
Basic/Network settings/ Add DHCP reservation --
After this, you should see the xbox on the DHCP reservation list below.

If the Xbox signs you on to Xbox live, I would think your router is working OK.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 12:45:16 PM »

Also checking the SPI off can help, you should't have to forward ports.
UPnP should deal with it for you.

Elmar329

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 10:32:51 AM »

Thank you for the help and information. I have applied both of these changes to the router.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 10:45:05 AM »

Did they help?

Elmar329

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 01:52:24 PM »

I have a solid connection to Xbox Live (normal connections shows 3 or 4 bars) and everything has run trouble free.
I still have some problems connecting with my friend, but the problem looks to be solely with his router set up.
It has not been long since he moved into a new house and while his router has the port settings to run 2 Xbox's, he does not remember which ports he set up to run them on. He thinks he may have them plugged in wrong.

To Recap though, here are the settings and Rules that I have enable at this time. If anyone can see how to make it better, I am always willing to try.

Basic > Network Settings > Add DHCP Reservation > Xbox 360

Advanced > Gaming > Xbox Live > Xbox 360 > TCP Ports 3074 > UDP Ports 88, 3074 > Schedule Always > Inbound Filter Allow All

Advanced > Firewall > Enable SPI is unchecked (disabled)

Advanced > Gamefuel > Automatic Uplink Speed is unchecked (disabled) > Manual Uplink Speed is set > Connection Type DSL

Elmar329

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 05:44:16 AM »

Hey Lycan, I saw on the PS3 entry that he some log info posted.
If I were to try and connect with my friend online and had a problem, would it show up in that log?
Where do I find that log info at by the way?

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 01:53:26 PM »

The info would be headed as a [info] statement. What are you looking for?

Elmar329

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 02:48:59 PM »

Just double checking things I guess. I haven't seen any info statements anywhere, so I guess that answers the question.

Elmar329

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 07:02:45 PM »

After I started having this problem with some other friends, I went to work on doing more research into it.
The problem relates directly to the NAT settings.

Reference here if you are interested:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/connecttolive/xbox360/connectionmethods/troubleshootliveconnection-testnat.htm

I went in and adjusted the NAT Filtering Setting and it helped out alot.  Any other ideas to add would be great because I still run into it every now and then.
I was thinking maybe an Application Rule, but I have no idea how to set that up.

New setting added:
Advanced > Firewall > NAT Endpoint Filtering> Endpoint Independent

MasterChiefDutra

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 07:10:39 PM »

I have found an easy way to deal with NAT issues with gaming consoles is to DMZ the IP of the console through the router.. this way I can play with an open NAT.

Elmar329

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 02:45:47 AM »

That is a good idea too.
I wanted to try the special apps rule first, but if that doesn't work then I am thinking that the DMZ will be the only way to go.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 08:38:06 AM »

I have a 360 and a 655 and i have no problems with the NAT. Also my best friend has a 4500 I gave him and he plays wirelessly with no problems.

You can DMZ if you like, but you MUST remove the port forward rules you've created for that IP.

Elmar329

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 10:39:05 AM »

Thank everyone for their thoughts and comments. Everyone has been really helpful and I am extremely grateful for it.
In researching more and more into this, I am finding that it doesn't matter about make or model of the router. There are a whole lot of people having this same problem across the board. You can find post just like this on all makes of router forums and also all across Xbox forums.
The troubling thing seems to be that if a reduced NAT setting and opening up the  ports doesn't solve the problem, then it may be that there is no solution.

I have reset my router settings back to where they started for the most part.
I have only kept the Gaming rule (Opening ports 88,3074 UDP and 3074 TCP) and the reduced NAT setting.

Things are running just as good with these settings as they did with all the other stuff added in.

Thank you Lycan for your knowledge and input. This has been a crash course in routers and it is through the help of people like you that those of us who don't know these things can learn.

Now enough of this stuff. Let's go gaming!!  :)

Elmar329

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 07:00:52 PM »

Just to add a footnote to this.
No further changes have been made (to either system), however for the past week, we have been connecting with no problem.
For whatever reason, it has just decided to work.
Welcome to all things Microsoft.