• April 16, 2024, 02:39:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DGS-1100-16: Howto configure VLAN link aggregation - which bond_mode?  (Read 5740 times)

c.monty

• Level 1 Member

Hi,
I have a server with a dual-port NIC.
In order to multiple single port bandwith I want to use link aggregation on switch side and a OVS bond on the server.

There are several questions to be clarified:
- Which bond_mode in the context of OVS (Open vSwitch) is supported by the switch? balance-tcp or balance-slb?
- Which mode should be selected on switch: On, Active, or Passive?
- The port trunk group on switch consists of 2 ports; must I configure a dedicated VLAN for any port with a different network? If yes, which IP must I then define for the bond interface on the server?

THX
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 02:43:04 PM by c.monty »

Gattsu

• Technical Engineer
  • Level 3 Member
Re: DGS-1100-16: Howto configure VLAN link aggregation - which bond_mode?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 08:27:26 AM »

From my experience and testing these are what I can suggest:
-This switch support LACP or 802.3ad and only supports "IP-source" as a load balancing algorithm. (mismatching algorithm on both sides will still work)
-Both device will need to be configured. On/on = no negotiation traffic, Passive/Passive = will not work, Passive/Active = 1 of the two will only talk to initiate negotiation, Active/Active = both device will talk to negotiate (generate unnecessary traffic). I recommend On/on or Active/Passive. On/Active or Passive = not sure what will happen..
-When two ports are set to LAG, it becomes a single port or interface labeled as "Port_Channel". You can set this channel to trunk mode or access mode and this will override any modifications on the individual ports.. The IP address can only defined on the vSwitch settings since the switch does not support layer 3 interfaces.