• April 24, 2024, 03:18:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Bad download speed on 270 Mbps?  (Read 5819 times)

Blutz

• Level 1 Member
Bad download speed on 270 Mbps?
« on: July 28, 2009, 12:54:11 AM »

Hi there,
i do have an internet connection of 60 Mbps, connected to a DIR-855 and i am using the DWA-160 to communicate with the router.
Windows is telling me that the connection is very good and shows 270 Mbps on 2,4 Ghz.
Only problem is that the maximum downloadspeed i can get is about 34 Mbps.
Someone any idea what's missing?

Cranium

• Level 2 Member
Re: Bad download speed on 270 Mbps?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 10:04:18 AM »

I'm not really sure what is going on....on the surface, it appears that you are not getting the speed you should.  Wireless does have it's overhead and the signal fluctuates constantly.  This will cause an overall degragation of the throughput. 

How is your signal strength?  Does the connection speed vary at times?  What is the direct connect speedtest results?  Have to tried transferring a file from a computer hardwired to your network to your wireless to see the speed?

Blutz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 10:34:51 AM »

The signal strength is excelent (maximum green). Direct wired connection test results are confirm what my provider is offering me: 59.9 Mpbs download and 5.74 Mbps download.
Transfering a file of 1000 Mb from a wired computer to the wireless machine gives good results as well.

Today i spoke to the local helpdesk in the Netherlands and they told me that the new high speed modems are using new protocols. Because of this they are working on a new firmware, which should solve this problem. Some strange voice in the back of my head is telling me that this won't be solved by upgrading to a new firmware, but i hope that they are right!

arod

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 03:17:59 PM »

Yeop! Cranium is correct about Overhead and wireless. Your true speed test will be through a rwired connection.

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 08:22:57 PM »

Yeop! Cranium is correct about Overhead and wireless. Your true speed test will be through a rwired connection.
But it is only half of the speed he gets with a wired connection. That's it much loss.
I can also see a difference here at a cable connection 2/32 but it is not as remarkable.