• April 18, 2024, 11:56:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DGS-1100 VLAN issues  (Read 5016 times)

sgilbe

• Level 1 Member
DGS-1100 VLAN issues
« on: July 12, 2015, 11:11:42 PM »

I have been trying to get a DGS-1100 5 port managed switch setup with VLAN.  Here is my setup.
System running PFSense with 1 WAN port and 1 LAN port.  I have 1 VLAN setup as VLAN 2.  The LAN port is plugged into my main managed switch with the VLAN working.  I am able to get a DHCP address from the VLAN DHCP server.  So I know it is setup and working on the PFSense and my main switch.  When I try to implement the DGS-1100 I either get a IP address from the Non-VLAN server or I can ping both networks.  The main switch is a UniFi Switch 48 POE-500W.  The port that the Dlink is plugged into is setup to be a Trunk port.  Here is the setup that I am trying to setup.

DGS-1100
Port 1 to Main Switch with Trunk enabled.
Port 2 to device that should be connected to VLAN
Port 3 - 5 to devices that should be connected to Non-VLAN

I have tried many different combinations of Tagged and Untagged VLAN Ports as well as the PVID settings.  So far I have found a working formula.  I have been dealing with this issue for almost a week now and have finally resorted to posting.  Any help is welcome.

Steve

PacketTracer

• Level 4 Member
Re: DGS-1100 VLAN issues
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 02:45:30 PM »

Hi,

sorry, but even after having read your problem description several times, I still don't understand what your scenario and what your goal really is. Here are the facts I understood:

• You have a PFSense with a WAN and a LAN port. The LAN port connects to your 'main switch'
  • You have a UniFy Switch 48, the one you call your 'main switch'
  • You have a DGS-1100 5 which connects via its port 1 to your main switch.

And here are my questions:
  • "I have 1 VLAN setup as VLAN 2". Where? Inside DGS switch, your main switch, or both? Is your PFsense LAN port configured to be VLAN aware?
  • What do you mean by "Non-VLAN"? If you start to work with VLANs you will need at least two VLANs, otherwise you could leave your switches with VLANs switched off, which means they internally work with a single VLAN (usually 1) with all ports being 'access ports' sending and receiving untagged frames  only. I assume you mean the device attached to DGS port 2 is VLAN aware and sends and receives frames tagged with VID2, while devices attached to DGS ports 3-5 are VLAN unaware sending and receiving untagged frames only - which means that the DGS switch assigns these frames a VID internally, depending on which VID is assigned to (untagged) ports 3-5 (default: VID1 - Maybe, depending on your goals, you just have to change DGS ports 3-5 to "VID2 untagged").
  • When you say 'Trunk', do you mean 'VLAN-Trunk'? For DGS or DLINK a trunk is a port aggregation, which is what e.g. Cisco calls a port channel. If you configure the port of your main switch, that connects to DGS port 1, to be a VLAN trunk port (which means: sending/receiving tagged frames for at least one VLAN, in your case VID2, and untagged frames for a 'native' VLAN, e.g. VID1), you also have to configure DGS port 1 to be a VLAN trunk port. Did you do so?
  • Does your PFSense WAN port also connect to one of your switches (using a different VLAN)?
  • Are the PFSense LAN port and the main switch port, that it connects to, also configured to be a trunk? Otherwise I dont understand, where your two VLANs (VID2 and the one your call "Non-VLAN') shall terminate - I'd expect your PFSense LAN interface in fact uses two subinterfaces, each assigned to a different VLAN (or one assigned to VID2 and the other to no VLAN = trunk native VLAN), in order to subdivide your LAN into two subnets, e.g. one for private and one for guest use.  Is this what you want to achieve?
  • What is your goal behind all that? You didn't tell it.
  • Could you provide a picture depicting you network setup, showing all connections and the VLAN(s) and IP subnet assigned to each?

PT
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 12:14:09 PM by PacketTracer »