• April 18, 2024, 04:05:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Planning to buy DNR-322L  (Read 9647 times)

Warb

• Level 1 Member
Re: Planning to buy DNR-322L
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2015, 01:22:59 AM »

You are quite right, of course, but I figured that if I vented here I might just get either some direct assistance (seeing as you must have the exact same issues as you have the same firmware) and/or someone from D-Link USA might just give someone in D-Link Australia a nudge because as far as I can find there is no way to get a ticket escalated. It is simply bounced from person to person, each just cutting and pasting a different bit of a FAQ, none even reading what has been written previously.

I shall post again if the problem is ever resolved, and in the meantime do my venting somewhere else.

IF someone in the US ever manages to get this device to work with Windows 8/IE11, or can tell me how to get the "events" system to allow cameras to be selected, please PM me!

Edit: One last comment/question. I've been writing a review of this product, based on actual use (not just reading the datasheet) and I've come across an anomaly. The current firmware worldwide seems to be 2.1, and I have reviews and D-Link datasheets that talk about the motion detection alert email function. Yet the Australian datasheet does not mention this function at all, nor does D-Link Australia's description. It is clear from the configuration screen that camera motion alerts were (or were supposed to have been) implemented, but equally clear that they are simply not there on my device. Can someone save me a lot of time and grief and just tell me whether they were removed and/or never fully implemented? Do motion based alert emails exist on the US version?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 04:45:04 AM by Warb »

Warb

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 12:15:45 AM »

I know I said I'd only post if this got resolved, but just in case it prevents anyone else struggling to get event notification to work...

The answer I have received from D-Link (Australia) about the event notification system is, and I quote:

"There was a typo on the manual and from the web interface of the DNR-322L. The event setup from the DNR-322L is for when the HDD is full. To configure motion detection, you need to set it up from the camera/s under Setup->Motion Detection. For event or email notification, you have to go to Setup->Snapshot (enable it) and you can select the trigger by and set the target e.g. ftp or email. This is in the case for DCS-5222L. Other models maybe called slightly different. "

So, even though I have D-Link "data sheets" that say the DNR322L will send emails when motion is detected, and even though the units on-screen assistance talks about selecting a camera (for event notification), in fact that was all a "typo" and in fact the unit doesn't have this function. It will record when motion is detected, but will not provide any notification. Notification must be configured on the camera itself. This brings up two important points:

1/  Why are there so many glowing "reviews" of this product that talk about this function, when the function doesn't exist? Are they really "reviews" or just reprints of marketing? Should I in future trust any such "reviews"?

2/ What are those of us who, like my client, have multiple cameras supposed to do? She doesn't want to have to individually enable/disable event notification on each of her 7 cameras every time her building is left unattended, but equally she doesn't want constant emails with movie clips when people are working there! The entire reason she purchased this unit (and I purchased mine) was for this centralised notification control, as mentioned in many "reviews".

The browser issue was answered thus:

"I have tested it with DCS-2132L camera and was able to login to the DNR-322L and able to see liveview from it. I used Windows 7 x32 IE 11."

No mention of Windows 8, event though that is the OS I stated I was using.

The DNR322L was half developed, and then abandoned. D-Link should not, in my opinion, still be selling it. It does not work as advertised (or as it was clearly designed to) and it doesn't seem to support Windows 8, even though that has been the only official consumer grade "new PC" operating system since October 31st 2014.

To those who have PM'd me, I thank you, but (venting again, excuse me) this whole experience has taught me that D-Link are more interested in a glossy brochure than a product that works. The real shame is that the DNR322L could have been marvellous. It still could with a bit of work. Perhaps D-Link could make the source code "open" so that an interested developer could finish it off for them?

domelsnake

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 06:54:52 AM »

Thanks for your replies guys.

I have seen so many bad comments and feedback across the Internet in regards to DNR-322L so I have decided to go for Synolog 215j with WD Purple 6TB HDD. It work pretty well and both my cameras (2x DCS-7110 D-Link) are fully supported by the surveillance station software. Unfortunately my problem is still there and I keep loosing frames...

My network is very simple. I have 2 cameras connected by CAT.6 cables to 1GB PoE D-Link switch where my NVR is also connected (CAT6). I have 1Gbps connectivity across my network and when checking the stats on NVR HDD is hardly even used... I have recently been told this is the problem  with D-Link cameras itself... Need to get rid of these cameras and got them replaced by some more reliable devices.

Kakashi::.

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2015, 04:51:04 PM »

We are glad you found something that works for you.
Pages: 1 [2]