• March 29, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-323 and NFS  (Read 33123 times)

stillerz

• Level 2 Member
DNS-323 and NFS
« on: January 01, 2011, 06:11:23 PM »

Hi,

I'm running firmware v1.08 with the D-Link provided NFS add on and I'm trying to connect, but I keep getting an "access denied" error when i try to connect.  Its exactly the same problem described in this post [http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=14718.0] except he was using the DNS-321.

I have already searched the forums, and the above link is the only one I've found.

And, yes, I do need to use NFS -- SMB shares won't allow me to do what I need to do.  I've already tried.

Has anyone been successful mounting NFS shares on their DNS-323?  And, if so, could you share both the settings you used in the DNS-323 control panel web app, and also how you connected from your client system?

I'm using Mac OS X 10.6.

Thanks in advance!

grixx

• Level 1 Member
Re: DNS-323 and NFS
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 03:44:53 AM »

I am using the NFS add-on provided by DLink and it works. It's not really fast but the 323 isn't fast at all...

With FW 1.08 GUI:
Advanced -> Network Access
Type: NFS
Host: Enter the network range which you want to allow access to the NFS server
e.g. 192.168.0.0/24 (assuming you are using that range in your LAN)
Folder: The folder you want to export from the NAS, e.g. Volume_1
Permission: as you like
Root squash: yes

Then you can simply mount the nfs share on the client system.
Verify that the NAS is offering the nfs share with
showmount -e NAS_IP_ADDRESS

Good luck,
grixx

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 05:34:03 AM by grixx »

stillerz

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 06:44:21 AM »

Thanks, that helped.  I was able to connect now -- the key was using the 192.168.0.0/24 on the DNS-323 config side, then on the Mac OS X side using the Disk Utility NFS Mounts panel with the advanced parameter "-P" when setting up the mount.  Apparently has something to do with ignoring ports on Mac OS, but it was causing the access denied problem.

Thanks!

billkatz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 10:58:57 PM »

I'm having similar problems trying to export NFS from my DNS-323 and mount it on Linux.  I'm running 1.08 on the DNS-323 and the DLInk supplied NFS server.  When I reboot the DNS-323, "showmount -e" shows:

# showmount -e 192.168.7.10
Export list for 192.168.7.10:
/mnt/HD_a2 192.168.7.0/24

Then, when I try to run mount, it times out:

# mount -a
mount: RPC: Timed out

with this fstab entry:
192.168.7.10:/mnt/HD_a2 /mnt/nas        nfs     rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr 0 0

After the mount command hangs, subsequent showmount commands hang also (until a reboot).

I've fought with this for hours, searched, googled, etc.   HELP, please...

grixx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 04:20:10 PM »

Billkatz, maybe you will be successful with just using the mount defaults in your fstab:

192.168.7.10:/mnt/HD_a2 /mnt/nas        nfs     defaults

At least this is what worked for me.

Nevertheless I have dropped nfs from the DNS-323 again because it appears to be really unstable. Allthough the actual mount stayed active all the time I had frequent problems with single subdirectories appearing empty all of a sudden with all the files reappearing after a while (sometimes only with remount)....

I have switched to mount the share using cifs instead of using nfs. It's not that nice for a linux box but at least it appears to be rock solid.

Grixx

rori

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 02:13:09 PM »

I can only confirm that the NFS addon is buggy. Files dissapearing on client side. They only show up again on reboot of the DNS. Really annoying. Switched to CIFS as (unfortunately).

Hope that the next firmware will also include some NFS-related bugfixes or at least an updated kernel...
DNS-323 / firmware 1.08b9
fonz funplug ffp:v0.5
firefly: svn-1735 with ogg and flac support streaming to Pinnacle Soundbrigde Home Music firmware 3.0.52
HDD: 2x1,5 TB Samsung HD154UI Rev: 1AG0 in RAID1-mode

blake21

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 06:36:06 PM »

Hi everyone,
Yes, in fact the DNS-323 NFS plug-in has some bugs that sometimes can be solved by bouncing the device, however trying to connect via Linux (e.g. Ubuntu) or similar flavours is painful and although there are several notes in the net not all work for the different cases, I tried with Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, some free NFS tools and Windows NFS client but regardless of what parameters I tried always got an access denied, a  freeze or a weird message.

Finally, I can said that I found a tool NFS Manager for Mac OS X that did the job very well, with a graphical UI, so I just needed to enter the IP address and share folder and that's it, will connect to the DNS-323 NFS plug-in in a bit, I was able to add, remove and delete entire folders which is the main reason why I tried to connect to the NFS share. I used this share in the past with my VMware ESX 3.5 server and needed to do some maintenance, NFS Manager did the job for me, the tool has a modest price but you can download the tool for free, test it and buy it if you like it.

Here's the link
www.bresink.com/osx/143439/details.html

I hope this can help anyone who is having issues with the DNS-323 NFS plug-in!

Blake

redpiyaya

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 09:26:46 AM »

Make sure that your Hostname in the NAS WebUI NFS share settings is set to 192.168.2.0/24 if your network is at 192.168.2.X.
The hostname in the share setup is very misleading. This is actually asking us what network to allow access to the NFS.