• April 16, 2024, 03:00:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-652 and external DLNA (Twonky)  (Read 6516 times)

bpredic

• Level 1 Member
DIR-652 and external DLNA (Twonky)
« on: November 14, 2013, 12:32:04 AM »

I have a simple home network consisting of one DIR-652 and one TL-WR1043ND providing wireless access on different floors of my house. They have the same SSID and other settings but are on different channels to provide roaming capability to clients. These two are cable connected using one TP-Link 8 port gigabit unmanaged switch. WD My Book Live and one PC are connected to switch ports of DIR-652 and one LG TV and LG Blueray player are connected to TL-WR1043ND switch ports. On WD MyBook Live I have Twonky DLNA server running.
My problem is that DLNA server is not detected by any devices on the network, wired or wireless. Samba file sharing on WD MyBook Live works great on LG blueray player and on all other computer sconnected to the network, wired or wireless. Actually, DLNA server is rarely detected, maybe once in 100 retries. The problem is definately with DIR-652 because if I reconnect WD MyBook Live to TL-WR1043ND (or any other wired port in the house) Twonky on it is immediatelly detected by all devices on the network. Furthermore, if I rebook DIR-652 for one brief moment during reboot Twonky on WD MyBook Live is detected but this works only before DIR-652 completely reboots and obviously some service on DIR-652 gets started which blocks multicasts for DLNA server.
Strangely, if I start Skifta on my Android phone which is wirelesly connected to either DIR-652 or TL-WR1043ND it is picked up as DLNA server immediately by all devices throughout the house.

This is VERY strange behaviour since I am using all wireless routers only as switches and wireless access points, nothing is connected to WAN ports on both routers. Routing and Internet access is performed by other device on the network (Ubiquiti NanoBridge M5).

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DIR-652 and external DLNA (Twonky)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 03:57:57 PM »

Link>Welcome!

• What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under router.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.
  • What region are you located?

Router and Wired Configurations
Some things to try: - Log into the routers web page at 192.168.0.1. Use IE, Opera or FF to manage the router.
  • Turn off ALL QoS or Disable Traffic Shaping (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options, Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel.
  • Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual or under Setup/PARENTAL CONTROL/Set to>None: Static IP or Obtain Automatically From ISP.
  • Enable Use Unicasting (compatibility for some ISP DHCP Servers) under Setup/Internet/Manual.
  • Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking. Link>Finding Faster DNS Addresses using Name Bench
  • Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting.
  • Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
  • If IPv6 is an option on the router, select Local Connection Only or Disable IPv6 options under Setup/IPv6.
  • Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall. Enable or Disable SPI to test.
  • Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules. Enable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming for routers that have a Media Server option. Disable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming if IPv6 or Media Server is not being used.
  • Turn off WISH, and WPS under Advanced.
  • WAN Port Speed set to Auto or specific speed? Some newer ISP modems support 1000Mb so manually setting to Gb speeds can be supported by the router. Advanced/Advanced Networking/WAN Port Speed
  • Set current Time Zone, Date and Time. Use an NTP Server feature. Tools/Time.

Try connecting all devices to the back of the 8 Port switch. This should allow better connections between all these devices and eliminate any unnecessary outer processing
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

bpredic

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 12:30:24 AM »

Thank you for your very detailed response.

Link>Welcome!

• What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under router.

S/N: EIR652EEU....A1E

• Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.

Firmware Version :     1.06 , 27, Feb, 2013

• What region are you located?

In Eastern Europe.

Router and Wired Configurations
Some things to try: - Log into the routers web page at 192.168.0.1. Use IE, Opera or FF to manage the router.

My router has different network IP address configured in accordance with my home network: 192.168.15.253

• Turn off ALL QoS or Disable Traffic Shaping (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options, Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel.

I have turned off all QoS an dTraffic shaping.

• Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual or under Setup/PARENTAL CONTROL/Set to>None: Static IP or Obtain Automatically From ISP.

I don't have Advanced DNS options under Setup/Internet/Manual nor I have Setup/PARENTAL CONTROL on DIR-652

• Enable Use Unicasting (compatibility for some ISP DHCP Servers) under Setup/Internet/Manual.

I have enabled Unicasting.

I have enabled DNS relaying.

• Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting.

Different device on my network is DHCP server. I cannot use DIR-652 as DHCP since it automatically broadcasts ITSELF as gateway and gateway on my network is different device so any device that picks up DHCL config from DIR-652 would have incorrect gateway. Is there a way to specifically configure gateway that DIR-652 DHCP will broadcast and not to have it hard coded to DIR-652 IP address? This is possible on TL-WR1043ND.  On my network I use both DIR-652 and TL-WR1043ND purely as switches to plug into them different wired networking devices on different floors of the house. Both router don't have anything connected to their wan ports. I also use them as WiFi access points but also only in switching as WiFi ports are switched with 4 gigabit wired ports.

• Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.

Some of my network devices have Dynamic IP and some have static IP and these are in clearly separated IP address ranges so I made sure to have no overlaping and address conflicts.

• If IPv6 is an option on the router, select Local Connection Only or Disable IPv6 options under Setup/IPv6.

I don't have an option to disable IPv6 completely so it is set to local connection only. I don't need IPv6.

• Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall. Enable or Disable SPI to test.

I have set Firewall to Endpoint Independent. Should it be on or off?

• Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules. Enable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming for routers that have a Media Server option. Disable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming if IPv6 or Media Server is not being used.

I have enabled both uPnP and Multicast Streaming optins. No port forwarding is needed since my DIR-652 acts only as a switch nothing is connected to WAN port.

• Turn off WISH, and WPS under Advanced.

I have turned both off these.

• WAN Port Speed set to Auto or specific speed? Some newer ISP modems support 1000Mb so manually setting to Gb speeds can be supported by the router. Advanced/Advanced Networking/WAN Port Speed

WAN port is not connected and is unused.

• Set current Time Zone, Date and Time. Use an NTP Server feature. Tools/Time.

I have setup NTP and time.

Try connecting all devices to the back of the 8 Port switch. This should allow better connections between all these devices and eliminate any unnecessary outer processing

Both WD MyBiik Live with Twonky DLNA server and my home PC are on DIR-652 connected to two of the switched ports they are on the SAME switch and PC should detect DLNA Twonky on WD MyBook Live without a problem (4-port switch on the DIR-652 should not block any packets it should be completely transparent). Unfortunately PC doesn't see Twonky DLNA even though they are on the same 4 port switch of the DIR-652?!?! More disturbing is the fact that while DIR-652 is rebooting for one instant in time DLNA is detected but when DIR-652 finishes rebooting it is not visible again, as if some service on DIR-652 starts that blocks multicasts even on 4-port switch on DIR-652?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 07:56:13 AM »

I would try connecting all to the external switch as a test to see if that helps any.

Also remove any static IP addressing and reserve them ON the router as a test as well. Could be some odd behavior using static IPs. Let the router handle all the IP addressing.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.