• April 17, 2024, 05:37:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Stumped by Password Problem  (Read 8750 times)

masternibbler

• Level 1 Member
Stumped by Password Problem
« on: May 03, 2009, 08:07:41 AM »

Hello!  Sure this is a simple one, but it has stumped me for weeks now.
Recently purchased 343 and 323.   Using Win XP PRO SP3 on a dozen computers.
D-Link 655Router and Switches.
All drives are visible via network.
Some drives are mapped to one computer.
Some drives not mapped.
Can access drives, mapped or not, until i specify a user and password.
Once i limit access to a folder, and specify a user and password for that resource, i cannot access it, with the correct password.   The password prompt, simply reappears after entering the correct password.
The exception to this, is if i have mapped the drive.
Then the password works fine.

BUT THEN,  the only resources that show in the network, are the NAS drives.  The other computers do not show.  UNLESS i re-boot. 

Help, i don't get this.   My plan was to have several users able to access otherwise restricted folders.
But cannot know in advance, what computer they may be using.   
Also, once a drive is mapped, and accessed, it continues to be accessible, without requiring password re-entry ( unless computer user logs off ).    I asked D-Link Tech support if NAS user, must be same as logged on computer user, and i was told no.   Also, password entry window, does not have field for username, only password.    So i am just stumped.   What am i missing?!?

This is my first post.   Sure i will learn a lot from this forum and get much more use out of the products because of it.   Ready to purchase third unit, but gotta solve this stumper first.     Thanks in advance for insights.   
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 10:24:58 AM by masternibbler »

masternibbler

• Level 1 Member
Re: Stumped by Password Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 07:42:35 AM »

Was i too wordy, or is everyone else stumped as well? (doubt it)
AFTER SPECIFYING AND SAVING THE PASSWORD FOR A DIRECTORY OR VOLUME, THE PASSWORD SIMPLY DOES NOT WORK.   Unless and until i map the drive.   Then the password allows access till user logs off computer.
That is no good either.

What am i doing wrong?!?
I read all password related posts.   Turned off virus protection.   No difference.

thanks

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 01:15:17 PM »

Have you tried using the Easy Search Utility as well as mapping through Windows map drive utility? Do you see this issue on all of the computers? Are all computers running the same anti-virus program and what software are you running for AV protection?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

masternibbler

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 02:02:49 PM »

Yes i used easy search utility.    Again, i am asking must i map a drive to access it?
I have many drives shared on my peer to peer network.  But rarely do i need to map one.
IF i know where it is, i can access when needed.
NOT SURE what you mean exactly.  Tried what?   If i specify a password, then i can only log on if the drive is mapped.  Which i rather not do.  PLUS once the drive is mapped and accessed, then it is accessible again, until client log off, without password.      Yes, i am using NOD 32 on all machines, but turned it off, to test, and found it made no difference.   

What is AV protection?   

masternibbler

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 04:37:48 PM »

From any computer i can access the web browser, and change the shares for the drives, set up users, change passwords, etc.    B U T if i set up any password protected share, the password is NEVER accepted.  So i cannot access the drive.   IF i make it accessible to all users ( meaning remove any password ), then i can immediately access the drive.       Since i cannot access the drive i cannot find a way of mapping the drive.

Only if i use the easy share program, can i map the drive which then works with the password on that computer.   I cannot access the drive on another computer.   

DO I NEED TO INSTALL EASY SHARE ON ANY COMPUTER THAT I MIGHT WANT TO ACCESS IT FROM???

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 01:44:29 PM »

Can you access the share if you type \\192.168.xx.xx in the Run.. command box on your Start menu?

I was referring to anti-virus software as AV software. 

masternibbler

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 08:11:17 PM »

I'm really getting frustrated.  Don't know why it has to be so difficult to get some simple help.
I have had a bunch of back and forth emails with tech support and this post here.
Obviously i do not understand something.  Its got to be pretty basic.  I have written enough to show what i do not understand, yet all i get is more questioning.   I do not claim that there is anything wrong with my hardware, or even my software configuration.  I must just be missing something, and all i am getting are one line questions that take another day to get this going.   

Tech support asked me if i mapped the drives.  Duh?
Do i have to map drives
this is in a small office.   If i know that certain documents are in a certain folder, why must i map them to access them via the network?   If i want other to access them, i know how to create a user, and a password and give them the password.   But they cannot log on.  All they get when the go via to workgroup to the 'volume_x'  resource, is a repeating window asking for the password.   it does not accept the password or do anything.   W H A T     AM    I     MISSING HERE?!? 

Regarding using the RUN command, are you referring to the DNS 343 address?   Or for a specific volume.
What address would the volume be, did not know it had an ip.   
Also, that is not an approach i would want an employee to use.
Sorry to rant here, but this is a basic consumer question, and i am not asking for much advanced features on it. 

Here is another attempt at expressing my question.
I created a folder named TEST   and a folder named SHARED
I created a user named Robert
Specified a password for Robert that allows him to log onto a mapped drive.
I navigate to the "workgroup"
I see the DNS device that i renamed "BOX" in the device set up menu.
Click on that, and see various folders i created as well as the default 'volume_x' listings

See the "Test" resource listed as well as Volume _1  etc. 
Gave a user r/w access to TEST.
I gave ALL users access to SHARED.
I can open the SHARED folder no problem.
When i try to open the TEST folder, i get the expected password prompt.
THIS IS AS FAR AS I GET.   IT DOES NOT ACCEPT THE PASSWORD.
i made the password so simple, that i cannot have forgotten it.
The same character repeated five times.   
IT WON"T ACCEPT IT.   W H Y ?

« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 08:22:57 PM by masternibbler »

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 08:46:16 AM »

Regarding using the RUN command, are you referring to the DNS 343 address?   Or for a specific volume.
What address would the volume be, did not know it had an ip.   
Also, that is not an approach i would want an employee to use.
Sorry to rant here, but this is a basic consumer question, and i am not asking for much advanced features on it. 

Sorry..Yes I was referring to the IP address of the DNS-343.

Regardless of if you want the employees to access the data in this way it is part of the troubleshooting process. I am not sure what approach you want to take to access the data you mention "this is in a small office.   If i know that certain documents are in a certain folder, why must i map them to access them via the network?   If i want other to access them, i know how to create a user, and a password and give them the password". You would access the data by having a mapped volume on the PC, type in the \\IP address each time, or you can FTP to your data.

If you cannot access the data in this way something is not right. Is you office in a domain network environment?

masternibbler

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 09:14:58 AM »

OK.  So what you are saying is that ONLY mapped volumes are accessible.   
IF i map a volume, then i can have folders as sub folders of that volume.
AND each folder could have unique user rights?  Correct.
So that while a folder was visible, it was not accessible without the user and password.
IF the password or the username was incorrect, then access would be denied.
BUT if username and password were correct in this subfolder, THEN access would occur, EVEN THOUGH the particular subfolder was NOT mapped.  ONLY the Volume_x was mapped.
DO i understand you correctly?   That in fact the volume must be mapped, but the folders on the volume need not be mapped? 

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 09:41:24 AM »

Mapping it just makes it so you don't have to navigate to it each time and enter the credential on the PC. When you map the volume it includes access to all subfolders. So if you setup a User and access the user share you will only be able to access or map the folder for the user as a volume (including subfolders)

masternibbler

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 09:56:24 AM »

You wrote:  "Mapping it just makes it so you don't have to navigate to it each time and enter the credential on the PC.  does that include password? if so, is there another password for the subfolder, or is that it?  If that is it, you are saying that there can only be one password for the mapped drive and all subfolders, NO good, if i have to map the volume_#    When you map the volume it includes access to all subfolders.   AGAIN, you say when i map the volume, but could i map a subfolder?  Yes, and then the parent folders would not be mapped.  Then i would have to navigate thru the LAN[/font]So if you setup a User and access the user share you will only be able to access or map the folder for the user as a volume (including subfolders)NOW, as i been asking for five weeks, IF i navigate thru the LAN, my pw is not accepted.   WHY?  "   

I do not know how else to say this, usually people tell me i communicate very well.
NON MAPPED FOLDERS, do not accept the password, and allow access only when no password is setup as in ALL users,    I need password protected folders.  BUT do not want every parent folder mapped to every computer.   Do you understand what i am saying?

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 12:35:29 PM »

I believe your issue is exactly what I mentioned in the "Features" thread a few down. You are not gaining access to the non-mapped shares because you are using a different username than the share access login information. This is a WINDOWS issue because it is automatically filling out the username for you as 'guest' which windows is notorious for doing. It is usually locked and you can not change the username but only enter a password. Of course when it tries to authenticate to the DNS-343 as a "guest" account with "password" it is not going to work unless that account is in the DNS-343 as well.

The easiest way around this WINDOWS issue is to simply map the share that they will be using and use Network access to limit them to that share only.

masternibbler

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 12:46:49 PM »

OK.  Now we are getting someplace.  I always say i like being wrong.   Hate being right.  THat is exactly what i asked tech support five weeks ago.   Having the same username that windows expects.   
 But not sure how your solution really works?

Jay, Joe and John work in a small office.   It has a bunch of computers, and these folks do various tasks on each of these computers.   Graphic design on, Color Correction, and Client approval, lets say.

Jay should have access to everything.   John to one, and Joe, to several online folders.
There is nothing on any of the three computers themselves that is restricted.
OK so how would you set this up? 
The data needs to be organized based on how it relates to other data, not who needs to access it
Graphics files together, financial data together, creative design together, orders together.

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 03:00:52 PM »

Ok, so using your example of John Jay and Joe,

Your folder structure would look something like this on your DNS-343.

[DNS-343]
   [Volume_1]
      [Graphics]
      [Color Correction]
      [Client Approval]
      [Online Folders]
         [Folder1]
         [Folder2]

First you would create user Jay with jays computer password. Then under network access you would remove all shares and add a new share for Jay to Volume_1. This would allow Jay all access to all content on the entire drive.

Next you would create the user John. Then under network access you would create another share, you would select the user John just like you did for Jay, but instead of seleting Volume_1 as the network access, you would drill down into the folder structure and select the individual folder that you want John to have access to.

Now for Joe, Since joe needs access to multiple folders, you would have to create a sub folder (Online Folders) and inside of that folder you can create the folders that Joe would have access to. Now again you would go into users create the user Joe, then go to Network access and create joes Access rights. Now when those users using their accounts on ther computers, Jay, John, Joe connect they should only have their shares available when connecting with their user unless a Mapped drive is available in which case you can setup additional shares with another username (for instance if they all share one folder for another purpose you can create a username with access to that folder and map it on each PC).

Anything outside of this setup essentially wont work. There are very limited access right settings which is why I have structured the NAS the way I did.

masternibbler

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 03:26:34 PM »

T H A N K  Y O U for taking the time to spell this out.   

A few questions:   

1] There are no login passwords required for anyone at their computers.
If there were, then each person would have to know all of them, since as i said, it is a small office, and they do various duties, often each using more than one machine simultaneously. 

2] The user on each computer is my name with Administrator rights.

So aside from the fact that Joe, who has to access various folders, only needs to do so, because they are not all in one place.   He may need to access the original raw files of a new project,  the work he recently is just finishing and the odd stuff that others drop in his folder for him alone to follow up.   Also he might need a folder to save the complete work for my approval, that he has done.      But in addition, he needs to be able to access his own special folders, from any of several machines, AND not be able to access all that Jay or the few that John might, as well as John, not accessing his, or not all of his.

Is this possible with your scenario?   
Win XP PRO sp3