• April 26, 2024, 05:29:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DLINK switch VLANs for DD-WRT access points  (Read 7427 times)

vieri

• Level 1 Member
DLINK switch VLANs for DD-WRT access points
« on: November 12, 2010, 09:15:52 AM »

Hello,

I'm trying to connect several DD-WRT based devices (4-LAN+1-WAN+WLAN devices) to our DLINK switches. For testing purposes, I'm connecting 1 DD-WRT device to, say, port 40 on the DLINK switch.

Supposedly, I've configured the DD-WRT system with a virtual access point in vlan3 (with SSID2) and the rest is in vlan1 (physical ports and a second VAP with SSID1). DD-WRT has physical ports 0 to 3 as part of vlan1 untagged and port 4 as vlan1+vlan3 tagged. Hence port 4 is connected to port 40 on the DLINK switch with is VID01+VID03 tagged.

The rest of the ports on the DLINK are:
port 20: VID01 untagged
the rest of the ports, except ports 20 and 40 are VID03 untagged.

So the expected behavior is that hosts that connect via SSID1 or by wire to DD-WRT and are "trunked" to port 40 on the DLINK switch will only communicate with port 20 on the switch.

Only the hosts that connect via SSID2 and are "trunked" to port 40 on the DLINK switch will be able to communicate with every port except port 20.

I'm attaching a screenshot of the DLINK vlan configuration. Is it all I need to do?
There's a web ui option called "trunking" right below "Vlan management" (or similar): should I set that up or is it totally unrelated to vlans (maybe it refers to "link aggregation"?)?

I'd like to know if someone can confirm that my config is ok on the dlink side before I tackle DD-WRT because when a host connects to SSID1 (vlan1 in dd-wrt), it actually has access to the VID03 ports on the DLINK switch....

Something's obviously wrong but I just want to make sure I'm configuring it right on DLINK's side.

Thanks.

edowning

• Level 1 Member
Re: DLINK switch VLANs for DD-WRT access points
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 04:18:07 PM »

I can't answer your question completely however from what I understand VLAN trunking refers to passing VLAN traffic through a switch. For ex if your switch A receives traffic tagged for a VLAN that exists on a different switch it will forward or allow that traffic through the trunk port(s).

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

silver_surfer30

• Level 3 Member
Re: DLINK switch VLANs for DD-WRT access points
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 01:09:09 AM »

configuration on DLINK is fine for me. But what i recommend is to keep port 20 on id1 and to create another vlan with ID2.
ID1 in dlink is default vlan and management vlan.
ID2 vlan 2 with whatever ports you like
ID3 vlan 3 with whatever ports you like

Then configure the DDWRT AP accordingly