• March 28, 2024, 07:56:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Dropping Connection  (Read 20787 times)

andy

• Level 1 Member
Dropping Connection
« on: May 21, 2009, 06:03:51 PM »

I purchased the DWA-142 today and whilst I am impressed with its range and speed, I'm being sent crazy by it's constant connection dropping.

My network changes to local only literally every few minutes. I have installed the latest drivers from the D-Link website and am running Vista 32 bit. I am connecting to a DIR-655 router with 1.31 beta firmware. Hardware version - A4.

I have tried connecting it to my Netgear WNR2000 router and the connection remains stable then. I have also had success keeping the connection on a random network with virtually no signal from a house nearby.

I am not having trouble connecting any other wireless adaptors to this router.

It seems like a router - adaptor clash and I can't work out why.

kevinla

• Level 3 Member
Re: Dropping Connection
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 12:26:56 AM »

Not sure.

But D-link does have a more current USB adapter.

DWA-160

http://dlink.com/products/?pid=656&sec=0

andy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 07:49:46 AM »

Have you any idea how good the range is on that? I had a DWA-140 that looked similar not so long ago but the range wasn't brilliant on that and it broke after a few weeks.

kevinla

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 07:09:25 PM »

Have you any idea how good the range is on that? I had a DWA-140 that looked similar not so long ago but the range wasn't brilliant on that and it broke after a few weeks.

There is a forum in here for it.  I would ask what people think.

The reviews on Amazon.com aren't so hot.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00127OVHI/ref=cm_rdp_product

I have the same setup as you and I am good.  Are you using the Connection Manager that came with the adapter?  I would use that.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 07:15:45 PM by kevinla »

andy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 02:24:10 AM »

Yeah. I had a look on Amazon and it did put me off a little. I had a look at what people had posted in the forum here too and there do seem to be a lot of problems, particularly for Rev A.

What I have done is sent my DIR-655 back to be replaced then I can go back to my old firmware. I never seemed to get the performance that I used to get after I installed the BETA firmware and I want to start from scratch.

I've been connected to my Netgear WNR2000 without problems for two days now without problem. I absolutely hate that router though so won't be sticking to it.

I am connecting using the adaptor connection manager and I'm using version 1.30 that I downloaded from the website.

I should get my replacement router in the midweek so I will post an update then.

kevinla

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 09:30:51 AM »

I had probems connecting with any firmare above 1.10.

I would try using that version.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 09:57:45 AM by kevinla »

andy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 05:08:06 AM »

My new router arrived today but I am still having the same problem :(. My firmware is 1.21 so I can't downgrade to 1.10.

When I've had connection dropping problems in the past, it has always been more of a disconnect then connect thing. This just changes to local only then won't work until I've unplugged and plugged the adaptor back in.

I'm just playing about with any settings that I can find at the moment!

I'm frustrated as I know there is nothing wrong with the router and know there is nothing wrong with the adaptor. They just don't like each other! I feel like there must be a setting I can change though that will make it work. I just don't know where.

kevinla

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 09:06:22 AM »

My new router arrived today but I am still having the same problem :(. My firmware is 1.21 so I can't downgrade to 1.10.

When I've had connection dropping problems in the past, it has always been more of a disconnect then connect thing. This just changes to local only then won't work until I've unplugged and plugged the adaptor back in.

I'm just playing about with any settings that I can find at the moment!

I'm frustrated as I know there is nothing wrong with the router and know there is nothing wrong with the adaptor. They just don't like each other! I feel like there must be a setting I can change though that will make it work. I just don't know where.

I still think it is the firmware, but unfortunately nothing can be done about that.

Did you call tech support? They are usually helpful.

I would roll the dice with a DWA-160
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 09:08:57 AM by kevinla »

andy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 06:27:50 AM »

They're just a bit on the expensive side and the reviews are awful overall so I'm trying to avoid doing that for now.

I'm thinking of going for another brand to try it. I know that people say use the same brand adaptor as router but I've had no success doing that so I might as well try something different. I can always return it. I'll have used every wireless N adaptor going at this rate.