The Graveyard - Products No Longer Supported > DNS-320

Standard to Raid 1 Configuration

<< < (3/3)

ivan:
I just want to say that even if there was a simple way to convert a STANDARD single drive setup to a RAID 1 setup I would still format both drives and restore from backup.

I may be considered a bit of an old fuddy duddy - been running my own IT service business for 25 years - but experience shows it is worth while to do so, especially if the standard drive has been in use for some time.

The main reason for formatting the old drive is to ensure that any suspect sectors are mapped and,if necessary, replaced from the spare sector pool.  You also tend to get a cleaned up drive system.

Experience also shows that a lot of people that want to do a standard to raid 1 conversion don't care for their data because they don't have a backup and are assuming that the raid 1 will act as a backup for them. NOT good practice if you value your data.

Here all our computers are backed up to section nas boxes every evening, overnight the nas boxes and servers, including the VMs, are backed up to the on site storage system and finally the on site storage system is backed up to the off site storage system during the day.  This ensures that our data and our clients is safe.

That is the industrial setup we have. In a domestic setup it shouldn't be too much to ask that valuable data is backed up to a USB external drive and kept safe should something happen to the nas and/or computer/s.

Sorry for the rant but we had a couple of customers today that wanted us to try and glean their data from damaged disks - one a single drive nas the other a laptop - neither had any form of backup even though I had setup a backup system for the nas, 'it was too much trouble to click on the backup icon' was the excuse there.   

JavaLawyer:

--- Quote from: ivan on July 25, 2013, 04:58:08 PM ---I just want to say that even if there was a simple way to convert a STANDARD single drive setup to a RAID 1 setup I would still format both drives and restore from backup.

I may be considered a bit of an old fuddy duddy - been running my own IT service business for 25 years - but experience shows it is worth while to do so, especially if the standard drive has been in use for some time.

The main reason for formatting the old drive is to ensure that any suspect sectors are mapped and,if necessary, replaced from the spare sector pool.  You also tend to get a cleaned up drive system.
. . .

--- End quote ---

Ivan, my sentiments exactly. Quoting from a similar thread I replied to in the DNS-320L board earlier today -- My own personal preference would be to let the DNS-320L format a RAID-1 array from scratch and then migrate the data from a backup. Call me paranoid, but when it comes to data integrity, I never trust upgrade paths for storage (regardless of the device/brand or reliability of the upgrade). I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version