• April 25, 2024, 04:30:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Feature Request: From Photo to Video  (Read 3591 times)

DigitalUser

• Level 2 Member
Feature Request: From Photo to Video
« on: July 02, 2008, 08:01:17 AM »

All right, here it goes.

I have been looking at organizing my movies so that I can have something better than just a list of file names being listed on my DSM-510.

Of course, I can go down the path of starting to tag my movie files with some known information (like title, description, genre, year,...) but I guess the best this could ever do, with the appropriate server software) is to give me some kind of hierarchy/drill down with a movie name at the end. OK I guess, but less than spectacular.

The way I look at this whole video server is like a video jukebox. I should be able to go and browse the list of movies in a nice graphic way, and just fire up what I want, not based on text, but based on a picture.

The idea is this: I would use some kind of graphic editing application, and create a nice image for each movie (I mean full size image, not a thumbnail). Something like the original DVD jacket or a particularly good picture of a family vacation, with some text mixed in for good measure. All open to the imagination. Of course, these pictures would be served under the Photo section. Up to now, nothing new. What I am requesting is that if some kind of key is pressed on the remote when that picture is displayed, the DSM-510 issue a request for the movie of the same name to the server. This could all be based simply on the file name.

For example, if I am looking at a picture called "Some Movie.avi.jpg" (this would be the naming convention), pressing that special key on the remote (say, shift), the DSM-510 would issue a request to the server for "Some Movie.avi", and start playing it.

This would open up a world of possibilities in terms of convenience and organization for all of us. On the face of it, this does not seem like a major change, so I was hoping this might see the light of day at some point. Best to everybody. Comments welcome.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Feature Request: From Photo to Video
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 04:21:07 PM »

It sounds as if you are referring to viewing your albums as thumbnails. The DSM-510 does have an option currently this can be enable by going to your albums list and press Menu on the remote. Now select Change View and choose Thumbnails.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

DigitalUser

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 07:34:10 AM »

I was hoping to have pictures larger than thumbnails, but I can give this a try.

How does one go about having thumbnails sent to the DSM-510? Do I have to prepare a jpg of the same name as the movie file? Are there specifications for the image (size?)?

Some Movie.avi
Some Movie.jpg

Thanks for letting us know.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 08:29:22 AM »

For videos I believe you must me connected to a Viiv media server to display images in thumbnails only. I have not see other media servers that support this function with the DSM-510.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream