• April 26, 2024, 07:55:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: I need help with DIR 855 and seeing the rest of my routed and wired LAN  (Read 9498 times)

TekHousE

• Level 1 Member

I originally sent this as a PM to one of our members. But I am in rather urgent need of suggestions or help on this one so I thought I will post it as a topic:

HI,

I am out on a limb here but I saw your old post about your network at home. I seem to have a similar setup but I cannot get all machines to see each other.

How did you do it?

My setup is:

Basement level>ADSLMODEM>switch>connects to the wired lan ports installed in the walls of my house.
Ground floor level>4 wired LAN ports>nothing connected to them
First floor level>6 wired LAN ports>1XComputer connected to a wired LAN port, 2XComputer connected by wire directly to DIR 855 and 2XComputers connected wirelessly to DIR 855.

Sorry for being confusing..My problem is this :

The 4 computers that connect to the DIR 855 all see each other. The rest of the computers in my house are totally invisible to those DIR connected pc's. But..I can connect to ALL pc's by using a VNC server/client (realVNC) The problem is this is really slow to do any real work via VNC.

I have the DIR 855 setup to be a DHCP client. My ISP provides DHCP IP's.

I am now pulling my hair out to get this to work. Any suggestions would be helpful.

thanks

TH

TekHousE

• Level 1 Member

40 views and no comments? Did I post in the wrong area?

TheMadBoy

• Level 1 Member

My guess is that your ISP provided computers with IP from DHCP instead of getting them from your router. Most likely your DIR-855 didn't gave the ips to those computers. Your setup should look like this:

BAsement -> ADSL MODEM -> DIR-855 -> SWITCH -> ALL DEVICES (on any floor). By putting your device on the first floor the computers

TekHousE

• Level 1 Member

I can't have the DIR 885 in the basement, kind of defeats the purpose of having it..

Fatman

• Level 9 Member

Your options (if I am reading this correctly) are to either

Bridge your modem and run a line from your modem directly to your WAN port on your DIR, and then connect the house network to the LAN of your DIR.

Disable the DHCP server on your DIR and connect it's LAN to your Modem and everyone can be a happy family using your modem as the sole NAT device.
non progredi est regredi

TekHousE

• Level 1 Member

HI Fatman,

Thanks for that..The first part..I disabled the DHCP..

After a few seconds I got my internet back..

But..I still have "Router IPAddress" - 192.168.0.1 etc.

In the box above where I disabled the DHCP

My pc's connected to the DIR are still isolated form the rest of the house. ANy thoughts?

Actually its not working..The wireless connection is now limited or no connectivity after disabling the DHCP! This has made things worse. What can I try now?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 02:12:17 AM by TekHousE »

Fatman

• Level 9 Member

What network is your modem using, and are the hard-wired PCs connected to the router pulling DHCP?
non progredi est regredi

TekHousE

• Level 1 Member

HI again..

Thanks for continuing to help me out..

My modem is getting its IP from my ISP.

I then use the router connections of the modem, plus another d-link router, to connect to the network ports that feed the internet to the rest of my house. All of these components are in the same 'technical' area within my house. It is where all my electricity and phone/dsl lines come into the house.

The network ports in the walls of my house (i.e. the wired network) are scattered throughout the 3 floors of my house.

For each of those ports to work, I have basically run a patch cable from one of the two routers in the technical area, to connect to each port, which in turn terminate in each room that I have pc's in.

if I remove a patch cable from the technical area, then the pc connected to it on the other end is totally isolated in terms of LAN/WAN

I added the 855 to one room (my office) which prior to the 855, had all connected via cables to 3 of the ports in that room. Everything was fine, the entire LAN was visible to ALL pc's in other areas of my house.

I had used a DIR-615 before the 855. And any of my wireless laptops could join and be seen on my LAN.

I assumed adding the 855 would be straightforward. But it seems it is more complicated than the older 615.

Now I have 3 desktop pc's connected to the 855. The 855 is connected to one of my wall ports which as I said earlier connects to my modem or dlink router in the technical area.

My 855 is setup like this:

WAN-
Connection Type :  DHCP Client

QoS Engine : Active

Cable Status : Connected

IP Address : 88.xxx.xxx.156

Subnet Mask : 255.255.248.0

Default Gateway : 88.xxx.xxx.1

Primary DNS Server : 193.229.0.40

Secondary DNS Server : 193.229.0.42

LAN
IP Address :  192.168.0.1

Subnet Mask : 255.255.248.0

Auto IP Address: 0.0.0.0

Default Gateway : 0.0.0.0

Primary DNS Server : 0.0.0.0

Secondary DNS Server : 0.0.0.0

DHCP Server : Enabled

For comparison, here is the IPCONFIG from one of my pc's that on another floor :

IP: 91.xxx.xxx.52

Subnet Mask: 255.255.248.0

Default Gateway: 91.xxx.xxx.1

This PC and ANY other that is NOT connected either wired or wirelessly to the 855, can see each other as normal.

So what I can tell is that the subnet is the same for all my pc's, but the IP series on the 855 all begin with 88 and the other pc's all begin with 91.

IS this the problem? And if so, how do I force my 855 to give 91 series Ip's??

I am sorry this might be totally confusing but I have never had a network problem like this before and its killing me that I cannot work it out.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member

This does sound like the problem, it looks like your entire network is publicly routable if this information is correct.  That would be most unexpected.
non progredi est regredi

TekHousE

• Level 1 Member

OK..

So how do I fix this?

Fatman

• Level 9 Member

A list of physical clients with information on the wiring and exactly where it is going to and from which ports on which devices would be the first step.  If you really do have publics across your network we are going to start by fixing that and getting you on private IPs, not only so your traffic  is all internally routable, but also because it is incredibly insecure to leave all of these services open on publicly routable machines.
non progredi est regredi

TekHousE

• Level 1 Member

Yep OK..

Can you tell me if you mean the IPCONFIG for each pc? Or something else?

BTW, would it help if I changed my ADSL modem to a D Link one?

I could do that if it makes things easier.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member

ipconfig's are a good place to start, however I will also need to know what wires connect what devices to and from which ports.

Don't change your ADSL modem, it appears to be blameless here.
non progredi est regredi

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member

Also list any and all AV/Firewall softwares running on the machines in question.

TekHousE

• Level 1 Member

OK I can try and get this for you, can you tell me what or how to find out this information for you.

As for virus checkers and firewalls its easy, all machines have NOD 32 (latest version) virus checker and all pc's use Windows firewall.

ipconfig's are a good place to start, however I will also need to know what wires connect what devices to and from which ports.

Don't change your ADSL modem, it appears to be blameless here.