• March 29, 2024, 02:12:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-890L Disconnects for Devices connected to 2.4GHz  (Read 2948 times)

RageX

• Level 1 Member
DIR-890L Disconnects for Devices connected to 2.4GHz
« on: December 28, 2019, 06:48:36 PM »

Hi,

As per the usual required background information:

Hardware: A1
FW: 1.10SHC (latest)
Region: Singapore
ISP: Starhub Fibre 1Gbps
Connected devices: 2 laptops, 4 smartphones, 8 smart devices

Three issues that I have:

1. Asymmetric download and upload speeds over Wifi. Via direct cable connection, I get about 900Mbps DL and UL. For the Wifi setting on 5GHz AC , I get about 250Mbps DL and 600 Mbps UL. Would like to know how I can improve Wifi DL speeds. Strange that UL is so high but DL is low.

2. 2.4GHz devices all disconnected every two days, and I have to reboot the router to reconnect.

3. Poor signal strength on 5GHz. Lower range than my previous cheapass Linksys EA8100.

The most pressing issue is the 2.4GHz random disconnects. In the past with my older D-Link routers, the router will do an automatic reboot if there are any connection issues detected. It seems that for the 890L that is not the case, and worst of all, the so-called "modern design" firmware does not even have the option to set daily or automatic reboots.

It is with sadness that I have reviewed, in depth, the following threads:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=64918.0
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=65615.0
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=66354.0

Based on the first thread above, it is clear that there was a firmware issue causing devices in the 2.4GHz to drop and necessitating a manual reboot. The user also did an RMA. Blaming it on environment or a 'bad batch' seems disingenuous.

In Singapore it appears there are more than 15,000 users on the same line of routers, and if it occurs once it will occur again.

This is what I've tried based on the common recommendations here:

1. Setting 2.4GHz to N mode only.
2. Reservation of IPs for all devices.
3. Using the least congested Wifi channels.
4. SC is off.

The issue persists.

What is disappointing is that D-Link charges a premium over the other brands, and previously the routers were rock solid. I moved to D-Link from a Linksys router because I was having phantom disconnects every 2 weeks for one particular smart device. D-Link is supposed to be rock solid and stable.

D-Link is 100x worse because ALL devices drop every 2 days off the 2.4GHz network and I have to manual reboot. My smart plug power cycles when an extended disconnection is detected, resulting in my desktop losing power. I've never had that issue with Linksys in my past 1 year using the router.

And no I can't downgrade firmware versions, because of that 2017 security breach that was blasted to the world as a result of D-Link's delayed responses to the security researches' reports. Older firmware versions are vulnerable.

Would appreciate any suggestions to fix this issue. I've been spending the last 3 days playing with all the settings and the issue persists.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DIR-890L Disconnects for Devices connected to 2.4GHz
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 04:11:22 PM »

I recommend that you phone contact your regional D-Link support office and ask for help and information regarding this. Each region handles support differently.
Link> Tech Support Contact Information
We find that phone contact has better immediate results over using email.

As a alternative suggestion, you could install DD-WRT FW on your 890L. For the NA region, this model router is now EOL. So use of 3rd party FW is recommended if stock FW doesn't seem to work out for you.
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=72749.0

Good Luck.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

RageX

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 10:11:13 PM »

I recommend that you phone contact your regional D-Link support office and ask for help and information regarding this. Each region handles support differently.
Link> Tech Support Contact Information
We find that phone contact has better immediate results over using email.

As a alternative suggestion, you could install DD-WRT FW on your 890L. For the NA region, this model router is now EOL. So use of 3rd party FW is recommended if stock FW doesn't seem to work out for you.
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=72749.0

Good Luck.

I don't think D-Link will be able to help with this, because it is unlikely that they are going commit any resources to a firmware fix for a product that (when I had this issue, was not EOL yet) is EOL. Since my router was BNIB as of 12/19, getting an RMA is not going to change anything.

Also their email support is truly hilarious. Don't think I've had more horrible email support from any company.

Certain companies will attempt easy and quick firmware level repairs for such reported bugs on a beta level at least for older models, but from my reading of this forum, Dlink does not do that.

I used recovery mode to flash US firmware at v1.20. Same issue occurred. Based on my research this is a firmware level bug introduced at US 1.09 and it remained unfixed for years. The issue only affects users that have >10 devices on their 2.4 GHz network. I can imagine other Dlink users experiencing the same issue simply chalked it down to the router being old and trashing it.

Issues like this are why I hate firmware engineers with a passion. They always introduce crap updates that break things. For the 890L it makes the router unusable for heavy users because the earlier firmware versions have publicized security vulnerabilities.

I can confirm that this is a firmware level bug, as after switching over to DD-WRT I experienced no such 2.4GHz disconnections despite using largely the same settings for wireless (4 days and counting).

Also, before I tried DD-WRT, setting up my older 868L as an AP and routing all 2.4GHz connections to the 868L (turning off 2.4GHz on the 890L), resulted in no disconnections either.

Amazing how a cheapass old 868L can be more stable than an expensive 890L simply because of firmware bugs.

After my experience with Dlink over the past 1-2 weeks with this crappy issue, and with a failure on Dlink's part to be able to resolve this issue satisfactorily (router is still under warranty), it is safe to say that my next router won't be from Dlink.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 11:22:52 PM »

Well something with your unit and needs to be addressed by your regional D-Link office. I haven’t seen this issue with mine since day one. Ive had two units.

Contact your regional D-Link office or find another alternative.

Good luck.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.