• April 20, 2024, 09:39:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17

Author Topic: Guide to DD-WRT (custom firmware) for DIR-615  (Read 762879 times)

Skello

• Level 3 Member
Re: Guide to DD-WRT (custom firmware) for DIR-615
« Reply #120 on: January 05, 2011, 01:52:54 PM »

I can connect fine the normal way ( 192.168.0.1 ) to the web interface
But when I power on the router while holding the reset button in until the yellow power light flashes I can't. IPCONFIG shows my pc address as 192.168.0.2
I can't ping the 192.168.0.1 address.
The router is back to the default config.

This is weird. I never heard anyone else report these problems across different browsers and not being able to flash from either the factory firmware interface or the emergency room.

About the inability to ping 192.168.0.1. That's normal. While in emergency mode, the router doesn't respond to ping.

I'm still waiting for some more detailed errors if you have any or some screenshots. Also, I suggest you try to do this from a different computer/laptop, if you have one.

ciocio2002

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #121 on: January 06, 2011, 02:39:55 AM »

@Skello

Thank you for the answer. It was very helpful.

neko259

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #122 on: January 07, 2011, 12:27:48 AM »

Have you tried ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/12-24-10-r15962/dlink-dir615e4/dir615e4-factory-to-ddwrt-firmware.bin ? Flash from emergency room.

Yes, I tried all of the firmwares for my router. But I flashed from the dd-wrt interface. Does it matter?

91 XR7

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #123 on: January 09, 2011, 10:56:37 AM »

Hello there,
 I like other, had issues with my DIR-615 C1 dropping Wireless connections to, specially when i use my I-phone 4) so i finally went over to DD-WRT in hopes that this will cure the issue (else i'm off to buy another router :()

After a little battle to get it to flash i found out that the power light doesn't turn on anymore?
is that normal? and if not, what should i do to cure that?

Also would one be able to get this now DD-WRT powered router to work with an Airport Express?

thank you for any help you can give me

Skello

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #124 on: January 09, 2011, 11:59:36 AM »

After a little battle to get it to flash

Why battle? It should be straight forward from the factory D-Link interface, under Maintenance > Firmware Upgrade. What file did you use for the flash and how did you do it?

found out that the power light doesn't turn on anymore? is that normal?

There are some mentions of the same behavior on the C1 revision here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=443686

I don't have a C1 myself, that's why I asked what file you used for flashing. Maybe there's a newer build that fixed it. Either way, it's not anything critical, it's just a led.

In early DD-WRT builds for the D revision (the one I have), the side WPS led on the side of the router stayed on all the time. This got fixed in later releases, but as I said, it's not a matter of big concern.

Also would one be able to get this now DD-WRT powered router to work with an Airport Express?

I don't see why not. Have you tried and it's not working?

cog4030

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2011, 09:06:21 AM »

I was finally able to load ww-drt on my E3 unit. Read another thread on this site regarding E3 hdw and Emergency room. That helped.

I ended up using a Win 98 laptop with IE 5.00

Skello

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2011, 09:38:46 AM »

Win 98 laptop? Wow ;D

Well, glad you sorted it out though. The interface should work now in pretty much any modern browser.

91 XR7

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2011, 09:18:34 PM »

Why battle? It should be straight forward from the factory D-Link interface, under Maintenance > Firmware Upgrade. What file did you use for the flash and how did you do it?
I don't see why not. Have you tried and it's not working?

It just three tries to get it to load. I also tried the D-link interface, but it said the file wasn't correct, then went to the ER and on the second time that way, it took. like i said, a little battle, but i won :)

I initially flashed it with "dir615c1-factory-to-ddwrt-firmware.bin" Build 14896. then just tried `updating' it again with "dir615c1-firmware.bin" build 14896 (I believed it'll be the same anyways, but tried it anyways)

the LED thing doesn't concern me too much, working correctly would be nice, but more concern about the router is `reliable', which i felt i t wasn't with the D-link firmware.

Well i haven't tried an Airport express yet, But didn't want to throw $100 away if it wouldn't work.  I honestly just want to use it to `stream' music to my stereo without hick-ups and that's about it anyways. 

Thank you again

Skello

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2011, 11:32:12 PM »

I initially flashed it with "dir615c1-factory-to-ddwrt-firmware.bin" Build 14896. then just tried `updating' it again with "dir615c1-firmware.bin" build 14896 (I believed it'll be the same anyways, but tried it anyways)

There have been 12 new builds since 14896 (in July). The latest one is 15962 released on December 24 and can be found here:  ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/12-24-10-r15962/dlink-dir615c1/

Use the dir615c1-firmware.bin file (not with factory in name) from that directory to update via the DD-WRT interface. Maybe it solves the power led problem. If not, keep checking ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/ for new builds in the future.

Regarding the Airport Express, I never owned one, but from what I read it has routing capabilities. I don't know if it's capable of acting as a switch, to avoid having a LAN within a LAN. You might want to ask at an Apple Store or search on the Internet, to what extent it can be paired together with home routers.

91 XR7

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #129 on: January 13, 2011, 07:31:54 AM »

How does one find the latest firmware through the website?
i just went to the `Router database' section on the website and Downloaded what they had for my router there. Or do you have to go through the FTP site only?

thank you again for all the help

Skello

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #130 on: January 13, 2011, 08:15:51 AM »

How does one find the latest firmware through the website?
i just went to the `Router database' section on the website and Downloaded what they had for my router there. Or do you have to go through the FTP site only?

thank you again for all the help

The ones listed through the "router database" are the "stable" versions, sort of. The ones from the FTP, which get updated quite often, are more like development builds, which contain small bug fixes. Nothing major like new features etc.

However, in my experience they are stable enough. I update quite often to the latest build and I never encountered a regression where some feature got messed up.

So yeah, checking the ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/ folder is the only way to find newer builds.

If you update, let us know if the led issue got fixed.

91 XR7

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #131 on: January 13, 2011, 06:58:25 PM »

Well it's been updated, But no the power LED doesn't light up but that's okay.  Like i said before, aslong as it is STABLE then i'm a happy person :)

Since i converted to DD-wrt on sunday, it's been 5 days with no issues at all, except my I-phone losing the WiFi connection for abit, and i had to put the phone to `sleep' (or whatever it is when the screen is off) then back on, and it was `connected' again.. (shrug) could of been almost anything i guess?

Thank you so much for all your help.

m4p

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #132 on: February 18, 2011, 11:54:48 AM »

Hi guys,
I just got a DIR615 ver E1.  I haven't installed it yet so it still has standard firmware on it.  Here's how I want to use it:  

I have another router in my computer room which will be the main router connected to my PC and to internet via PPOE (I have DSL).  I have a bluray player in my living room where I can't run a long ethernet cable to.  I want to connect the bluray player to this D-link router via ethernet cable so I can use Netflix and also DLNA, and have the Dlink communicate with my main router wirelessly.  So I am assuming I need the Dlink to be a wireless bridge, or would it be wireless client?  Not sure what the difference is between Bridge Mode and Client Mode.  Can someone tell me which I'd want, and whether or not DD-WRT will allow me to do this?

Also, would you recommend the web GUI for flashing, or the recovery room, for this particular model/version?

Oops, one last question.  I read where people had to modify the bin file with a hex editor.  Would I need to do that, and if so, I do I know what code to replace with? 

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 11:57:50 AM by m4p »

Skello

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2011, 01:11:59 AM »

Hello m4p,

You cannot do what you want with the factory firmware, not over wireless at least.

In DD-WRT there are two options to achieve what you want, but expect a bumpy ride. People have reported trouble in setting it up, even with your particular model. Not sure if they didn't follow the instructions correctly or if there were problems between the routers.

You'll have to test for yourself. I have a D1 and I never did this setup myself, but I can help you with things you don't understand or to troubleshoot. My answers won't always be timely, though.

With that out of the way, let's get into it. First of all, flashing. You can do both ways, but emergency room is the safer choice I guess. People have reported problems with browsers other than IE though, so use IE 7 or 8.

The latest build for you model is:  ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/02-17-11-r16214/dlink-dir615e1/dir615e1-factory-to-ddwrt-firmware.bin

Immediately after flashing, before doing any configuration or settings, start following the instructions here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

If that doesn't work out there's also the simple Client mode http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode_Wireless

The difference is that with client mode, devices behind the second D-Link will be on a different subnet. Also, I've heard reports of the LAN ports not working in Client Bridge for some reason. In that case you can try using the WAN port for wired connection to your blu-ray player. Just check the "Assign Wan port to a switch" option if you have it.

But let's tackle problems as we encounter them. So, feel free to start testing. G'luck.

m4p

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #134 on: February 19, 2011, 09:24:18 AM »

Skello, thank you so much for the reply, I really appreciate it.  Ok, I just downloaded the file you referenced and will flash.  I think I'll go for the emergency room method and hope it works.  Hopefully I'll be back soon with more questions :)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17