• April 24, 2024, 06:53:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Firmware 1.04  (Read 14633 times)

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Firmware 1.04
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 04:17:18 PM »

Firmware 1.04 is now available on the US support page
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

kdm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 06:29:54 PM »

For the information of Australian DNS-323 users, the following is a reply I got from Dlink support in Australia about firmware version 1.04:

"Thank you for your email. Please kindly be advised that our R&D team is working hard on a 1.04AU firmware for Australian users. It will be available in 2-3 months. Please do NOT upload firmware from other countries as it might void the warranty. I would like to suggest you check our website, www.dlink.com.au/tech, periodically for any firmware update. "

I think it best that I make no comment!

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 07:04:23 AM »

This has been more or less known to be the position with the different DLink - let's say - business groups.

Not all of them release new firmware at the same time, and even though the hardware might be the same (there are now two different versions of the hardware) they will always warn about the possibility of a voided warranty.

Those are corporate decisions made for reasons not always clear to the general public and often dictated out of a sense of caution, especially in societies that are known to seek legal action apparently without rhyme or reason.

chuckv

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008, 06:41:44 PM »

then why dint dink put an check within the firmware to identify the region of the firmware and if the check fails on the upload of a firmware, we wont be able to do it

giving us the ability to upgrade firmware irrespective of the region just reinforces our ability to void this warranty.

I'm sure dink can implement this easily

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2008, 04:10:45 AM »

then why dint dink put an check within the firmware to identify the region of the firmware and if the check fails on the upload of a firmware, we wont be able to do it

giving us the ability to upgrade firmware irrespective of the region just reinforces our ability to void this warranty.

I'm sure dink can implement this easily
Yes - it could be done.

Let me give you some reasons why most manufacturers would avoid such a scheme.

Instead of having one device with one part number being manufactured on one production line, you will now have to multiply those costs by how many ever regions you choose to set up - take a look at D-Link Europe's structure if you want an idea of how many regions they have to deal with.

Let's say your sales in Britain for what ever reason have increased whilst sales in Germany have dropped (or vice versa) - you can't just move product from one warehouse to the next to meet demands, you'd have to either manufacture new product or ship the old product to a facility that has the capability to reflash the firmware to suit the region.

Don't underestimate the cost of managing inventory - typically most manufacturers will market the same device unless there are legal regulations preventing them.

One of the manufacturers for whom I do warranty support ships the same product worldwide, with instruction manuals printed in multiple languages, self adhesive control panel overlays in multiple languages, a universal 90~270VAC power brick and three different AC line cords - on product that retails for well under USD$100 - a lot of that stuff goes in the trash - but it's cheaper to include it that to have to track the issues I mentioned earlier.

chuckv

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2008, 01:50:07 PM »

i only said that because the majority of here (who are forign to the states) have now breached the support agreement with DLink with the new 1.04 beta upgrade.

unless dlink is able to provide us in writing that the group who are registered members of this forum are under full support .. irrespective of their region and to what firmware they said we should load from a specific site..

if not, then i have breached my support agreement when i did the firmware upgrade .. full stop
Pages: 1 [2]