• April 25, 2024, 08:30:31 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: NAS not visible on network  (Read 7177 times)

daninet

• Level 1 Member
NAS not visible on network
« on: October 02, 2016, 06:34:49 AM »

I have just set up this NAS and I'm having problem reaching it. It can be only reached if I type the IP or I create a shortcut with the IP, but it is not listed on windows network. It cannot be reached with \\NAME
Workgroup is the default group, NAS name set. IP range set to match router's. Upnp turned on, windows PC's network discovery turned on (I can see all 6 PCs on the network)

NAS can be reached by IP with no problem, but for convenience I need it to be listed between network devices. How to set it?

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: NAS not visible on network
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 06:58:59 AM »

What version of windows?

If it is win10 then it is a known win10 problem: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/29/microsoft_warns_windows_security_fix_may_break_network_shares/
and you will have to back out of some 'updates'.

daninet

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 08:59:16 AM »

It is windows 10 but I'm not using the insider preview version.

We have windows 7 PC also and NAS hidden.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 01:21:17 PM »

Physically disconnect the win10 computer from your network and then check if you can see the NAS.  Whatever it was that got into that preview also got into a previous update of win10 and it kills all SAMBA shares on any network it is on hence your not being able to see the NAS with win7 while the win10 PC is active on the network.

daninet

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 11:45:52 PM »

I have a Western Digital nas and it is visible, so this win 10 thing just not true. The problem is with the Dlink nas and I need a solution other than creating shortcuts everywhere.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 04:08:24 AM »

I have a Western Digital nas and it is visible

Interesting, how did you setup the CIFS/SMB on that and can you use the same settings on the D-Link?  If, on the other hand, you are using the WD OS 3 software then it is a different type of access to the WD NAS which makes your point irrelevant.

daninet

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 08:45:40 AM »

That is an old NAS and is very basic almost no setting. I plugged it in and it works.

Map drive works. At least something.
Thanks for the help.