• April 25, 2024, 04:03:02 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: F/W 1.11 - Syslog: connect() failed path:/var/run/mdnsd Socket:26 Err:-1  (Read 13204 times)

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: F/W 1.11 - Syslog: connect() failed path:/var/run/mdnsd Socket:26 Err:-1
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2020, 08:17:19 PM »

Have you tried the resent FW version?
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=75956.0

I recommend that you phone contact your regional D-Link support office and ask for help and information regarding this.
Link> Tech Support Contact Information
We find that chat/phone contact has better immediate results over using email.

Just got the DIR-3040 and observed like most people here the famous error "Syslog:..."

As a dev, I went and see where that error is coming from as the code used by Dlink is from open source.  I found Dlink uses mdnsResponder
you can see when looking at messages file you downloaded
20150 admin     1324 S    mDNSResponder -b -i br0 -f /tmp/mdns_resp.conf -e dl

In mDNSResponder is Apple implementation of their Bonjour thing, you know all the mDNS stuff that flood your network 8-)
From one of github for mDNSResponder like https://github.com/freenas/mDNSResponder
So the error is coming from the file
https://github.com/freenas/mDNSResponder/blob/freenas/master/mDNSShared/dnssd_clientstub.c

it looks like the mdnsresponder is trying to connect to another daemon locally 'mdnsd' which is not there ??? thus the error is printed out.

The usual linux distro like Ubuntu, Redhat... they don't use mDNSResponder, they use a newer implementation of Bonjour/DNS-SD under the name of 'avahi-daemon', in fact people recommend to use avahi instead of mdnsresponder, the fact that Ubuntu is using it gives a good level of confidence.

I read elsewhere in this thread that Dlink will remove that error message as a fix 8-) LoL.

Anyhow, mDNS stuff is used by Chromecast, which I have an issue now, after sometime the phone or ipad stop seeing the chromecast icon, to recover I have to change something on the wifi and save to kick out all clients and reconnect, so clients can now see chromecast back, kind of suck as work around for now.

If any of you use chromecast and notice anything suspicious please chime in.

And lastly, the DIR-3040 has 3 radios, which is great but again create issue if all radio use the same ssid and chromecast connect to a radio but the clients elsewhere, chromecast will not show up, after many days I found chromecast must be on the same radio as the clients who which to cast to it, again sucky problem, I end up creating 3 differents ssid 8-( 

Cannot believe this router has not been tested that well, and this router is not cheap one.

Amen.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

hmatrix

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2020, 10:33:50 PM »

Firmware is latest, just bought from Amazon last week on Black Friday sale, out-of-the-box it forced an update you cannot refuse and current version is 1.13.
I was expecting a tree radios to be a blessing, if it works.
I saw the same error message "Syslog..." is on others threads for others routers as well here in this forum.

I will give another week, else return the router to Amazon with a very so so review.

Have you tried the resent FW version?
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=75956.0

I recommend that you phone contact your regional D-Link support office and ask for help and information regarding this.
Link> Tech Support Contact Information
We find that chat/phone contact has better immediate results over using email.

Just got the DIR-3040 and observed like most people here the famous error "Syslog:..."

As a dev, I went and see where that error is coming from as the code used by Dlink is from open source.  I found Dlink uses mdnsResponder
you can see when looking at messages file you downloaded
20150 admin     1324 S    mDNSResponder -b -i br0 -f /tmp/mdns_resp.conf -e dl

In mDNSResponder is Apple implementation of their Bonjour thing, you know all the mDNS stuff that flood your network 8-)
From one of github for mDNSResponder like https://github.com/freenas/mDNSResponder
So the error is coming from the file
https://github.com/freenas/mDNSResponder/blob/freenas/master/mDNSShared/dnssd_clientstub.c

it looks like the mdnsresponder is trying to connect to another daemon locally 'mdnsd' which is not there ??? thus the error is printed out.

The usual linux distro like Ubuntu, Redhat... they don't use mDNSResponder, they use a newer implementation of Bonjour/DNS-SD under the name of 'avahi-daemon', in fact people recommend to use avahi instead of mdnsresponder, the fact that Ubuntu is using it gives a good level of confidence.

I read elsewhere in this thread that Dlink will remove that error message as a fix 8-) LoL.

Anyhow, mDNS stuff is used by Chromecast, which I have an issue now, after sometime the phone or ipad stop seeing the chromecast icon, to recover I have to change something on the wifi and save to kick out all clients and reconnect, so clients can now see chromecast back, kind of suck as work around for now.

If any of you use chromecast and notice anything suspicious please chime in.

And lastly, the DIR-3040 has 3 radios, which is great but again create issue if all radio use the same ssid and chromecast connect to a radio but the clients elsewhere, chromecast will not show up, after many days I found chromecast must be on the same radio as the clients who which to cast to it, again sucky problem, I end up creating 3 differents ssid 8-( 

Cannot believe this router has not been tested that well, and this router is not cheap one.

Amen.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2020, 10:37:03 PM »

Are the error message causing problems?
From what I'm told, those logs should not be effecting normal router operation.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.
Pages: 1 [2]