• March 29, 2024, 03:21:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Setting up an FTP on DNS-323  (Read 27899 times)

Lucid

• Level 3 Member
Re: Setting up an FTP on DNS-323
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 02:17:05 PM »

First off thats not the DIR-655 at all. Your logged in and that proof enough for me. It could have something to do with the file permissions etc. For argument sake:
1) Create a new DIR call FTP on Vol1 drive
2) Set it up so that the user account from the drop down list access that folder with READ/WRITE permissions
3) create a text file and save it in the FTP folder you just created.
4) log in and see what happens (try to read and write files).

My idea is you could have mucked up the files should you have changed ownership or somthing, changed user accounts in the OS or whatever. A similar thing happened to me. I had to go into the DNS-323 via telnet to reset all the FILES and DIRs with the appropriate access rights. (REAL PAIN INDEED - until I figured it out with the help our beloved forum here)

Let me know how this went.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 03:24:55 PM by Lucid »

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 02:26:43 PM »

Just a suggestion - get your ftp server up and running on the local LAN, before attempting to use it remotely - this step will greatly reduce the "is it the firewall/router or is it the ftp server confusion"
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

Lucid

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 02:47:36 PM »

BUMP...if you read a previous post I wrote the same thing. It's good advice. Narrow it down the the lowest denominator.

Lucid

WildSioux

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2008, 06:35:54 AM »

My idea is you could have mucked up the files should you have changed ownership or somthing, changed user accounts in the OS or whatever. A similar thing happened to me. I had to go into the DND-323 via telnet to rest all the file and DIRs to the appropriate access rights. (REAL PAIN INDEED - until I figured it out with the help our beloved forum here)

Let me know how this went.

Lucid, I didn't try your suggestion of setting up a new folder with new user/password...  I have read that this is more than likely caused by the ownership settings being messed up.  I know how to telnet in.  But how do I reset all the files and DIR's to the appropriate access rights?  Thanks

Lucid

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2008, 07:01:49 AM »

Lucid, I didn't try your suggestion of setting up a new folder with new user/password...  I have read that this is more than likely caused by the ownership settings being messed up.  I know how to telnet in.  But how do I reset all the files and DIR's to the appropriate access rights?  Thanks

I have a step by step on this thread: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=2183.msg11532#msg11532

Cheers,

Lucid
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 07:04:18 AM by Lucid »

WildSioux

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 08:56:58 AM »

^^ Thanks Lucid, that did the trick.  I no longer get the errors of not being able to delete or chmod a file to different attributes via Filezilla.

I did change the wrong folder to my user the first time.  I'm not sure what user level it had.  But I changed it back to "nobody" like one of the other folders had.

+This explains why in XP I'm unable to open a word document for example when logging in to a folder under my username/password.  But when I navigate to the same folder and open the same word document without having to login it opens.

I think the answer to this is NO.  But any way of setting multiple users to a folder?  Either by each user individually or by using a group?

Thanks

EDIT:  BTW, How come I can access the folder and now change things in Filezilla when I don't even have Port 21 forwarded in my DIR-655?  This is on my local LAN...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 09:05:59 AM by WildSioux »

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 09:39:29 AM »

EDIT:  BTW, How come I can access the folder and now change things in Filezilla when I don't even have Port 21 forwarded in my DIR-655?  This is on my local LAN...

Because on your local LAN you have direct access to the ftp server - you do not have to traverse the firewall in the DIR-655.

Port forwarding is ONLY required to allow access from the outside of the firewall.

Lucid

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 11:01:21 AM »

I think the answer to this is NO.  But any way of setting multiple users to a folder?  Either by each user individually or by using a group?

Yes you can change it to the group "EVERYONE" or a specific group using the same step by step instructiions I posted.

PORT FORWARDING: basically listens to a request on a port from the internet and redirects to the appropriate private port on the LAN.

Cheers,

Lucid

WildSioux

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2008, 11:52:14 AM »

fordem, Lucid

re: port on LAN, understood that an open port is for internet and not internal LAN. 

Thanks

Lucid

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2008, 12:35:34 PM »

?? Please explain. I haven't clue as to what your are trying to get across.

Cheers!

Lucid

WildSioux

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2008, 01:55:16 PM »

Lucid, calm down LOL.  I should have been more clear.  That response was to you and fordem  regarding my port forwarding question.  I understand now why I don't have to open port 21 to be able to access on my own lan.  And that it is only to allow outside access.

Lucid

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2008, 03:22:01 PM »

Lucid, calm down LOL.  I should have been more clear.  That response was to you and fordem  regarding my port forwarding question.  I understand now why I don't have to open port 21 to be able to access on my own lan.  And that it is only to allow outside access.

;-] You think you should have been more clear? LOL Send that code to the army to crack...

Glad you figured it out!

Lucid

dicrouthamel

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2008, 10:25:05 AM »

Maybe it's just me, but I never found the built in ftp feature useful.  I use pure-ftpd on a port other than 21 and define a passive port range.  Those ports are forwarded to the DNS-323.  People outside my lan can connect just fine.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2008, 12:44:08 PM »

Maybe it's just me - but I find the built-in ftp feature does everything I need.  I use active ftp on the standard port (21) and forward that port only  (I don't believe in forwarding more ports than I absolutely need to) and have never had a problem connecting from outside my LAN

dicrouthamel

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2008, 07:46:48 PM »

Active versus passive - your choice ;)  But if you're looking to use passive, I don't think D-Link's built in ftp will work.
Pages: 1 [2] 3