• March 28, 2024, 12:35:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Device resumes from standby without a reason  (Read 12939 times)

Karrde

Device resumes from standby without a reason
« on: October 23, 2008, 05:32:33 PM »

I've had my DNS-323 for a few weeks now, and I'm quite impressed by it besides one annoying problem. I have it set to enter standby mode after 30 minutes of inactivity, which it does, but then it has a habit of resuming randomly for no apparent reason. It's especially noticeable at night when all our computers are off; the device will periodically resume from standby, do a quick seek, then shut down again after the designated 30 minutes. FTP, uPNP, iTunes, DHCP and LLTD are all turned off. Firmware is v1.05, and I'm running with two 500GB drives in RAID1. It can't be a computer on the network requesting information as they're all shut down, and I've turned off as many services as I can on the device itself. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

This is one situation where a log of all requests on the DNS-323 would be very useful in troubleshooting.

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: Device resumes from standby without a reason
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 06:01:56 PM »

Is it only a single harddrive spinning up or both when it does come back online?

Karrde

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 06:24:43 PM »

I'll have to actually confirm that, but I believe it starts up both drives.

MountainMan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 11:32:53 PM »

I have a similar, perhaps identical problem.  I have 1.05 and 2 Seagate 1TB drives in RAID 1.  Mine is set for 15 minutes before going to standby but I don't think it ever makes it. Or if it does, its only briefly there.  I guess I should time it and see if it is briefly entering standby like the original poster reports.  I leave the FTP and UPnP servers enabled.

Like he says, all other network devices are off except for my network infrastructure (the NAS, switches, router, cable modem).  So I don't see how it can be a device on the network making a disk read request that wakes it up.

Note that it also seems to access the disks at random times when ALL computers on the network are off.  I'll see the lights blink and hear it access a disk in the middle of the night sometimes.

Maybe these two issues are related?  Maybe the random disk reads are causing it to continuously reset the sleep timer?

One other kinda scary theory - its hackers probing FTP port 21 from the external network and breaking into the NAS!  Yikes.  I wish there was a log so I could check to see if this was true.

Sumdumphuc

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 12:13:57 AM »

One other kinda scary theory - its hackers probing FTP port 21 from the external network and breaking into the NAS!  Yikes.  I wish there was a log so I could check to see if this was true.

That should be built into the firmware for sure, might need to edit my wishlist, always good to see who has been where.

I just bought another DNS-323 and I have a feeling it is doing this too, have to wait till I finish setting it up to do a proper check. (I have these Toasters{DNS-323} in a locked PBX room not so easy just to have a look at it)

Same spec though 2x Seagate 1TB in RAID 1 with F\W 1.05

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 05:09:32 AM »

I log external ftp access at the firewall
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 06:31:05 AM »

There's no wake-on-lan support in the DNS devices; I would be inclined to look for any scheduled activity (backup, copy, etc.).  Also, is the unit on a UPS or a power bar?

Cheers,

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 10:55:04 AM »

If the UPnP AV media server is enabled try disabling it and see if the issue continues.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 11:50:19 AM »

Hi ECF,

'Karrde' indicated that FTP, uPNP, iTunes, DHCP and LLTD are all turned off.  I suspect it may have to do with a power fluctuation ... hence the inquiry about UPS and/or type of power bar.

Cheers,

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 11:51:42 AM »

... I suppose it's possible that it's "haunted"  ;D

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 01:50:12 PM »

Are you using the print server or have you ever or do you have any back software that backs up to this device?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

Karrde

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 02:30:09 PM »

As I stated before, uPNP is turned off.  There are no backup programs installed on any of my computers, and I have no UPS, just a power bar which seems to be functioning normally (it's a Belkin unit, if that helps).

MountainMan seems to have a similar issue, though my unit seems to go into standby for at least an hour usually before resuming (I haven't timed it yet to see if it's always the same length of time). Like I say, there seems to be no outside influence here, so it must be something in the device itself which makes it resume from standby. When it does resume, it only makes a very short seek, usually about 1 second of noticeable hard drive activity, then waits the set 30 minutes before going back into standby. Very strange...

edit: oh, and no, I'm not using the print server, my printer is hooked up to another computer.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 06:05:27 PM »

There's a very simple way to determine if it's an external cause - unplug the ethernet cable from the dns-323 - if it stays in standby, the problem is external.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

MountainMan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 08:40:22 PM »

Yeah, I'll try the Ethernet cable removal test.  I agree that's a great way to isolate internal vs. external influence.  Although the fact that all my computers are powered off is almost as good so I think its internal.  And I also don't have any devices connected to the USB port and the print server is disabled.

My #1 theory is that its the UPnP media refresh service.  I noticed that I had it on and set at a shorter interval (5 minutes) than the standby timer (15 minutes).  Since the media refresh triggers disk access it explains the occasional drive access in the middle of the night when all computers are unpowered.  And it keeps resetting the standby timer so it never goes to sleep.

I'll try some different timer combinations to see if I can prove this theory.

Maybe the D-Link team can consider deconflicting these two timers since most people probably want the drives to go to standby after a period of no user activity but still want the UPnP media server enabled with periodic directory refreshes.  But those refreshes shouldn't happen when the drives are in standby causing the unit to wake up.  And the refreshes while the drive is awake shouldn't cause the standby timer to reset.

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2008, 06:01:20 AM »

Would be interested in hearing from Karrde regarding the Ethernet cable; according to the posts, the UPnP Media Refresh services are disabled ... and the problem occurs.
Pages: [1] 2