• April 19, 2024, 01:59:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Outdoor antenna/s with the 655?  (Read 7792 times)

dblagent

• Level 1 Member
Outdoor antenna/s with the 655?
« on: August 01, 2007, 05:36:23 PM »

I was wondering if it is possible to use a normal outdoor antenna for wireless networks with the router.  I have a 655 and am amazingly happy with it so far in my use, but would like to test an outdoor antenna for range reasons.  I saw there is the one set available on the website, but I need more of a outdoor pole mounted antenna.  I can get one easily, but would it work as there are three connectors on the router end?   All the outdoor units are a single coax connection and I was not sure how this would work.  I have no idea how the hardware would handle this (one connection outdoor, two left for indoors, or maybe a three into one coax adapter, or maybe not possible? ) so I thought it best to ask before I try or purchase.

Any solutions available?   Thanks for the help!

• Codex Borgia
  • Level 3 Member
Re: Outdoor antenna/s with the 655?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 05:42:41 PM »

You can really use any antenna for a DIR-655 as long as you calculate for impedances of the wire.

Characteristic Impedance and is usually designated Zo or "Zed nought". When the cable is carrying RF power, without standing waves, Zo also equals the ratio of the voltage across the line to the current in flowing in the line conductors. So the characteristic impedance is defined with the formula:

Zo = E / I

You can Use a pringles can for an antenna if you were so inclidned
http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448

« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 01:24:19 PM by Xiuhtecuhtli »
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.

<script src="http://serverfault.com/users/flair/25583.js?theme=clean" type="text/javascript"></script>

• Codex Borgia
  • Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 01:24:26 PM »

The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.

<script src="http://serverfault.com/users/flair/25583.js?theme=clean" type="text/javascript"></script>

ddwinell

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 03:50:25 PM »

For those of you with poor wireless connectivity in certain places

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template/gallery/

I assure you, my wireless is fine.

dblagent

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 04:54:07 PM »

I can build or buy an antenna with no problem and I have yagi plans and parts sitting to my left for another project.  My main question is how the router will handle it, will it quit using two of the antennas if I connect an external one, or does it really only use one antenna?  I see by looking inside that the three antennas all go to separate locations on the wireless card as you can see below, so they appear to be handled separately on the card  but then again maybe not.

I guess I could get three outdoor antennas but my wife will kill me in that case so...... 

I guess I will just get one and try it and see how it goes if noone knows how the router will handle the signal.  It will either do what I want or not.  I'd hate to go to all the work and then have it ignore that antenna and just use the two normal ones or something.  I thought at one time Linksys routers had two antennas but would actually use only one of them and it would switch between them depending one signal, but I could be wrong about that.  That would not work for me at all so I thought someone might now how this router will react.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 06:28:18 PM by dblagent »

• Codex Borgia
  • Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 09:46:34 AM »

yes 3 antenna's would be the best  so you have equal coverage for you send and receive, but

since the router is a 3x3 antenna you can place your out door on any of the leads.

Jaybo700R

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 09:57:35 PM »

what about adding high gain antennas to the router itself? those rubber duck high gain antennas like shown here:

rubber duck antennas

maybe use 3 of the magnetic mount antennas for outside  application and get 9 db gain for around $80

I also though abount enclosing a desk mount antenna inside a large tupperware mounted outside as well...  now that I upgraded from old WAP11 b speed wireless the 15db outdoor omni is not going to be as effective as 3 antennas or so I am led to believe...

• Codex Borgia
  • Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 09:51:32 AM »

you can use ANY antenna as long as you  make sure you Amplify the signal for the length of cable  you use.

Backdoctor52

• Level 1 Member
  • Active DC, IT interest.
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 12:51:18 PM »

I have changed over my antennas of the DIR-655 to three magnetic mount 7DBi Gain ones (7 1/2 inch, coil at 1 1/2 and 4 1/2 inch), magnet mounted on an old coffee can in all directions in a vertical plane and at a distance from the router (and at 6 foot height), and it seems to give me a whole lot more range. I can now go in the backyard and still have full connection speed at about 150 yards with hardly any drop-outs, and the router being indoors with a couple of walls separating us. The antennas I purchased on Ebay at about $5 a piece for 10 total.
Cable modem RCA H-535
Router DIR-655 (H/W: A1/A2 F/W: 1.35NA)
Antenna ANT24-0230
Switch DGS-2208 (H/W: C1)
NAS Drive DNS-323, 1 TByte (F/W: 1.08)
CAT6 networking cable
ASUS Quad W7Pro Desktop (1GBps)
XP PRO - 3 desktops (1 GBps)
ACER Duo W7HP Laptop (300MBps)

xentpik

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 07:44:27 AM »

If you want to attach a different antenna to the device for I would be very careful, for if you actually read the manual (which surprisingly I have). It states not to use additional antenna due to radiation. On the .com and .ca website you get the extension cable but that just allows you to mount the antenna a little way away from the router.
======================
Technology has the shelf life of a Banana

KenP

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 05:35:48 PM »

Is there anyway to force the router to use just one antenna?  I can't find this on the wireless configuration options.  I'm used to using linksys routers and this always has been an option.  Reason: I'm helping out with a science fair project measuring signal strength of different homemade antennas.  Should I just disconnect two of the antennas for the project?  Which antenna connection should I use, left, center , or right?  Thanks for your help.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 03:31:47 AM »

Is there anyway to force the router to use just one antenna?  I can't find this on the wireless configuration options.  I'm used to using linksys routers and this always has been an option.  Reason: I'm helping out with a science fair project measuring signal strength of different homemade antennas.  Should I just disconnect two of the antennas for the project?  Which antenna connection should I use, left, center , or right?  Thanks for your help.

No, since besides the GUI there is no CLI interface available to manually configure the router. The principle of the N specs also dictate that there's more antennas to be used. I guess you used to work with G routers, which do have this option?
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33