• March 28, 2024, 01:51:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Internet keeps dropping out.  (Read 20743 times)

JimMonz

• Level 3 Member
Internet keeps dropping out.
« on: March 29, 2010, 05:13:46 AM »

OK, this is REALLY frustrating.

First of all, I have not made any changes to the router/PC/Laptop setup for close to 2 months.

Now, on to the problem.

The week following DST change (March 14), I noticed that I was losing my internet connection while on my laptop. My downloads were getting interrupted, failing, etc.
The connection would be gone for a LONG while (exact time unknown). I was able to log into the router, but I did not see anything out of the ordinary.

Here's a question, are there any other logs that would be helpful other than "LOGS"? The logs there did
not tell me anything.

I was able to see and connect to all the other machines on the network, but they too, did not have internet. Internet did not come back in a reasonable amount of time. I had to turn off the router and cable modem (cable modem just sometimes) to get the connection back.

This wasn't a problem until last week. This happens 4-5 times an hour now. Why the hell do I have a wireless router that I have to babysit and turn off an on all the time?

Yesterday, I REALLY wanted to take a mallet to the dam thing.

I have done this so far:

1. Removed power to router and modem multiple times.
2. Checked all cabling, its good.
3. Defaulted router.
   - Setup for 300 Mps connection.
   - Turned off QoS
   - All other options are default.

Has anyone else had this problem?
If you did, have you figured out what is going on?
Have you fixed it?

I'm at wits end with this thing and I'm seriously ready to punt this router (and waste the $96 I spent on it), and find another wireless N router.

Thanks for any help.

JimMonz

• Level 3 Member
Re: Internet keeps dropping out.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 05:19:05 AM »

Oh yeah, antoher thing I am going to do is totally disconnect and turn off the DIR-655 and reconnect my old LinkSys wireless G router.

I'm going to use this for a few days to see if the problem is still there.

Mackerel

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 11:24:04 AM »

If you have a cabled LAN connection, does it happen too via that connection, or just at WLAN?

Logs are not much use, but if there is nothing in them it could be your ISP, the PABX or maybe even something like a physical problem in the line between your house and the ISP.

JimMonz

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 11:57:05 AM »

I was Remote Desktop-ed from my laptop (wireless) to my desktop (wired/cabled).

I was downloading stuff on my laptop, DLs stopped on my laptop. Since I was connected to my desktop, I tried to access the internet, e-mail, etc. All not working.

Walked over to my desktop, logged in, accessed the router, read logs, etc., no problem. But, still no Internet.

Cycled power on router and cable modem, after about a minute, I had internet. A little while later, again loss of internet.

Last night, on laptop only, again I was downloading a large file and internet just went away. I waited around 5 minutes, never came back. I walked over, cycled power, and internet was back for about 5 mins, then it went away. I did this another 2 times and then started looking for the mallet :(.

Does anyone think this has anything to do with the Daylight Savings Time stuff I've seen in this forum?

I haven't looked, but I don't see the harm with turning off DST, does anyone?

PatrickGC

• Level 2 Member
  • Windows and Linux user (Oil and Water Can Mix)
    • Portfolio Site
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 03:37:51 PM »

Hello JimMonz:

Yes, I think this message thread is related to mine regarding The Dynamic Domain Name Service (DDNS) client in the router breaking down on March 25.
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=12241

The start of daylight savings time, March 14, in Vancouver British Columbia Canada seems to have been the trigger point for this router's problems.  A number of people have experienced one or more of the following issues: [regardless of the firmware used]

• The daylight saving setting did not take effect uniformly.  The routers on screen display was fine, but the logs and schedules lagged by one hour.  Oddly enough on my router the problem corrected itself after one week.
  • If the router was using a network time protocol server for accurate time keeping, some but not all routers began to continuously reboot.
  • Conductivity Problems.
  • Lastly, the DDNS client stop working on March 25

I know that the router uses JavaScript in the browser to calculate the date based on "epoch time" [full definition] which is the number of seconds since January 1, 1970.--apologies to programmers if I'm inaccurate.-- perhaps there is a small error in the scripts or even in the various implementations across browsers which triggers this bizarre behavior.

Patrick

PS: turning off daylight savings time to does not seem to immediately affect the router.  However, since turning on daylight savings time has a lag of a few days before taking affect, turning it off may have a lag effect as well.

JimMonz

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 05:56:00 AM »

Well, here's an update.

Monday, I turned off Daytime Savings Time option and updated the router's time to my computer's time.
That's it.

All other options are default except the QoS is turned off and wireless setup for 300Mps.

I did not have to reset the modem in 2 days. So far so good....

JimMonz

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 06:52:10 AM »

Another Update.

OK 2 more days, no dropping out. I REALLY think this was the problem.
There are other posts in the forum kinda saying they have the same problem.
Try turning off DST option and set the time manually (your computer time).

dwr3

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 04:22:53 PM »

Thats funny. I am also in vancouver, and having the same problem. Upgraded firmware, went through connect wizard, and then found I couldn't log in. Reset the router, went through the same process, and again my password wouldn't let me log in. Reset again, read this forum, went to time settings and daylight savings was actually not checked. I checked it off, rebooted, and suddenly internet and local connection shows up on my computer. Bizarre.

JimMonz

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 06:04:18 PM »

Update.

It has been working for me ever since. NOW,I'm happy again.

Everyone, thanks for your help.

JimMonz

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 05:19:39 AM »

Here we go again.

This morning everything working fine. Thenit seemed like download speed degraded, then internet went completely away.

The LAN was still working, albeit VERY slow. I was able to see my laptop from my desktop and vice versa.

I couldn't even access the router login page.

So, powered down, powered up, waited about 30 seconds, opened router login page.
Reset time.

Everything fine.

It has been a relatively long time since this happened, but, it shouldn't happen.

Any more ideas on this? Thanks.

ruckartj

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 06:10:54 AM »

I have been having the exact same issues!  When my internet drops, I cant even get to the login page and have to reboot router to get it working again!  I am starting to think this was wasted money and return to my non-gigabit, very stable Linksys router!!!!

RetroMan71

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 01:21:01 PM »

Same here.. wireless issues, but now my XBOX that is wired won't login so I have to reboot the router! I think it's time to try a different router.

JimMonz

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 02:43:10 PM »

Update.

OK, I have not touched my router my router in a LONG time.

Just this weekend, I had to reboot the router 4 times.

Dammit, I thought I had the problem solved with turning Daylight Savings off.

Oh, well, time to look for a new router, I've had it with this one.

chup

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 11:14:01 AM »

After going through what you just described I joined this forum to weigh in. The 655 and secure spot are crap. My 1st was rma'd and my second disconnects at least 2x a day. So much so I bought a plant timer to restart the router once a day. After trying everything. Restoring hard resets etc etc I have found the only way I can stop secure spot from coming on out of nowhere and the router from dropping Internet is to buy a new router. I went with 2 airport extremes and an airport express. Our
Home is 3100 sqrft with a lot of walls. Used to need 2 655s now only need one express and 1 extreme.

JimMonz

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 08:39:25 AM »

In another link someone suggested decreasing the output signal to medium.
I am still having alot of problems. Again, this weekend I had to power cycle the router to get internet.

Annoying, just annoying.
Pages: [1] 2