• March 28, 2024, 01:27:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-323 network light comes on at boot, then turns off  (Read 10416 times)

chshrkt

• Level 1 Member
DNS-323 network light comes on at boot, then turns off
« on: August 02, 2020, 10:45:17 AM »

When booting up, the port on my switch lights up and the network indicator light on the front of the NAS lights up, but then they both go out and I am unable to connect with my previously working mapped drive link in windows explorer.

It does not respond to a ping or web IP connect to it's IP address, which makes sense, since there is no activity light.

Any suggestions?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DNS-323 network light comes on at boot, then turns off
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 09:15:24 PM »

Try a different port on the switch.
Try swapping LAN cables. CAT6 is recommended.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

chshrkt

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 07:28:19 PM »

I have done all that.

I also tested the ports on the switch with another device, as well as the cables.

I only have Cat5E cables, but for a ~10 year old device, that should be good enough.

I get the same behavior every time.

I have not been able to determine if the USB port on the back can be directly connected to a computer to migrate the data to another device, that would be an ideal solution.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 03:14:57 AM »

Have you tested the power brick to see if it is supplying 12v@3A and 5v@3A?  I suspect that is the problem - the fact the LEDs go out indicates a loss of the 5v supply.

To recover your data from the actual disks depends on their formatting, if it is RAID 1 or single disks then you just need a SATA to USB adapter with an external power supply and if you use windows you will need a live Linux DVD.  Just boot from the DVD, plug in the USB adapter with the disk attached and copy the data to either an external drive or the computer hard disk.  If the formatting is NOT those I mentioned you will need to use a program like RStudio but read the manual first and make sure you know what you are doing.

chshrkt

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 04:17:56 PM »

@Ivan,
Thank you for that suggestion of the power supply.

Not really sure how I would test that, but since my unit was in Raid 1, I should be able to just use a SATA adapter like you mentioned.

However, I am not that familiar with Linux, and after a Google search, was not able to find anything called "Live Linux" in an ISO or DVD format. Did you just mean a live bootable distro on DVD, like Knoppix?

Thank you again for trying to help me.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 12:09:41 AM »

Sorry to confuse you, I must be living in the past when the Linux DVD generally only installed the OS.  Today almost all Linux distributions will boot to a working desktop that will do what you want, just pick the one you are happy with.

As an aside may I recommend the Atolla CH-326U3S SATA/USB adapter as the one that will 'just work' (in fact I have two of them for use when sorting out problems for friends).

To use the Linux DVD, boot from it and have a look round the desktop to know what is there, then plug in the adapter mounted disk and , if you are using something like Linux Mint, it will automatically show up on the desktop.  You can then plug in a large USB hard disk that will also show up on the desktop, open both and start transferring files.

Hope this is of use to you.