• April 26, 2024, 02:58:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DCS-5222LB1 Quality Issue  (Read 6061 times)

MikeSD

• Level 2 Member
DCS-5222LB1 Quality Issue
« on: June 08, 2015, 01:42:02 PM »

I'm quickly learning that HD doesn't mean "High Quality".   ::)  I mean, I know it means High Definition and that only has to do with the capture device.  However, if someone is going to advertize HD, you'd think it would be passable quality.

I'm hoping this is just something I have set wrong because the video quality I'm getting isn't as good as a $10 camera can provide. 

I like the Software, although it's not the best.
I like the reliability of the connections.  Stays connected.

But the video quality sucks, unless there is something I can do to improve it.   At 1280x720, the video is grainy and not very good, even in outside, well lit areas.  But since this is an indoor camera, I'd think the indoor quality would be pretty good as well.   I'm referring to the recorded video on SD, in addition to what's displayed.  It looks like video that was captured at some pathetically low resolution then upconverted to 1280x720.

Is there any control over video quality recorded, other than lighting?  I mean are there any settings that can improve the quality.    I will post an example of a raw video that was made, when I get home.  Perhaps someone will be able to say if this is typical quality.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 01:49:05 PM by MikeSD »

MikeSD

• Level 2 Member
Re: DCS-5222LB1 Quality Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 10:47:50 AM »

I can see these forums provide virtually no responses. Oh well, I should have figured the "0" meant somethign.  But I'll at least follow up on my post, with an example.

This is an outside photo, in sun, with good lighting.  image is through a window so it's not the best. But it's pretty good.

But this is an inside photo, in a well lit room. Any $20 camera would have done a better job with this light.  I can't imagine that a camera that costs nearly $200, is this poor.   The metal box by the water dish is even gray.  The walls are even cream colored.  But there is so much grain effect that it's hard to tell the original color.   You can see that sunlight is coming from a window through the door. And there is a very large window on the left.  And another door forward and left.  Can't see those windows and doors but the light comes through just fine, to light up this room.   Is there any setting that can improve this quality?   This should not be this grainy, based on my experience with other cameras.  BTW, both cameras are the same model (DCS-2330L), not the 5222L as the title suggests.   And if I switch the cameras the effect switches cameras.  So it's not something defective in the camera.  It's just poor low light capability problem.  And the 5222L is the same. 

I realize these cameras aren't meant for photographic contest quality.  But there is plenty enough light in this room, to get a quality photo.  This photo is so grainy, that the granular twinkling looks like movement, and make motion detection near impossible, unless one is satisfied with a bazillion false triggers.

Is there any setting that can improve the quality of the images?  These cameras just don't seem to do well, in anything but very bright sunlight.  The IR works well, but it's the area of well lit rooms where they suffer.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 11:07:26 AM by MikeSD »

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 02:13:36 PM »

I swear my latent have that linoleum in green/white/yellow.
Have you logged into the cameras fw?

I'm happy with my 5222lb1 indoor image in night mode.

KyKen73

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 09:17:12 PM »

I started out with some of the non-HD dlink models (930).
When I got this 5222L I was expecting a big improvement in the quality.
It was only a minor improvement.     The imagee is still grainy.
I had decided the HD versions where not really worth the extra cost.

Then I picked up a  Samsung SmartCam HD recently  (No pan tilt - cheaper camera).
The image quality is the best I have seen.   Very crispy in both day and night modes.
I reallized at this point just how bad the 5222L was in terms of image quality. 
The samsung is clearly capturing HD images and the dlink is not.

I would buy some more of these but it has some really limited device configuration features when
compared to any of the dlink cameras.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 11:08:57 AM »

The dcs2230 2 megapixel hd is very good.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 11:15:25 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• What Hardware version is your DCS? Look at the sticker behind or under the camera.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the DCSs web page under status.
  • What region are you located?

What Mfr and model is the main host router?
What wireless modes are you using?
What is the distance between the Camera and the main host router?

Be sure the camera is setup correctly and using HD modes...

I started out with some of the non-HD dlink models (930).
When I got this 5222L I was expecting a big improvement in the quality.
It was only a minor improvement.     The imagee is still grainy.
I had decided the HD versions where not really worth the extra cost.

Then I picked up a  Samsung SmartCam HD recently  (No pan tilt - cheaper camera).
The image quality is the best I have seen.   Very crispy in both day and night modes.
I reallized at this point just how bad the 5222L was in terms of image quality. 
The samsung is clearly capturing HD images and the dlink is not.

I would buy some more of these but it has some really limited device configuration features when
compared to any of the dlink cameras.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 09:43:29 AM »

Any status on this?  ???

I can see these forums provide virtually no responses. Oh well, I should have figured the "0" meant somethign.  But I'll at least follow up on my post, with an example.

This is an outside photo, in sun, with good lighting.  image is through a window so it's not the best. But it's pretty good.

But this is an inside photo, in a well lit room. Any $20 camera would have done a better job with this light.  I can't imagine that a camera that costs nearly $200, is this poor.   The metal box by the water dish is even gray.  The walls are even cream colored.  But there is so much grain effect that it's hard to tell the original color.   You can see that sunlight is coming from a window through the door. And there is a very large window on the left.  And another door forward and left.  Can't see those windows and doors but the light comes through just fine, to light up this room.   Is there any setting that can improve this quality?   This should not be this grainy, based on my experience with other cameras.  BTW, both cameras are the same model (DCS-2330L), not the 5222L as the title suggests.   And if I switch the cameras the effect switches cameras.  So it's not something defective in the camera.  It's just poor low light capability problem.  And the 5222L is the same. 

I realize these cameras aren't meant for photographic contest quality.  But there is plenty enough light in this room, to get a quality photo.  This photo is so grainy, that the granular twinkling looks like movement, and make motion detection near impossible, unless one is satisfied with a bazillion false triggers.

Is there any setting that can improve the quality of the images?  These cameras just don't seem to do well, in anything but very bright sunlight.  The IR works well, but it's the area of well lit rooms where they suffer.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.