• April 19, 2024, 02:44:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: how to make wbr 1310 more secure  (Read 6132 times)

jmom2ks

• Level 1 Member
how to make wbr 1310 more secure
« on: October 13, 2009, 01:30:55 PM »

Is there a way to make the device only allow certain computers?  My daughter now has this at her college apartment and has noticed that other computers are piggy backing on her wireless and they are not her roommates.  We want to set it up so it only allows her devices to work.  Is that possible?  I appreciate any assistance anyone can offer.  Oh, I forgot to say that she runs Vista.
Thank you!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 01:37:58 PM by jmom2ks »

HeatfanJohn

• Level 1 Member
Re: how to make wbr 1310 more secure
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 01:46:12 PM »

Are you running WPA with PSK (Pre shared key)?

Only those computers that are configured with the correct pre-shared key should be able to access the wireless network.

Also, if you set "Enable Hidden Wireless" your daughter's SSID will not be immediately obvious to others.

Although using WPA, AES with a pre-shared key should be very secure and not allow others to use her connection.

wrcaz

• Level 1 Member
Re: how to make wbr 1310 more secure
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 01:25:35 PM »

Enable MAC Filtering
Go to the router settings utility 192.168.0.1
Select Advanced at the top of the screen
Select Network Filters at the left of the screen
Enter the MAC ID from each of your daughters devices, (to find the MAC address is different for different devices, just google "find Mac Address iphone"  Find MAC address TIVO"  whatever her device is to get instructions")
I also create a text file of the MAC IDs and the device names at thsi time for later use. 
Turn MAC filtering on. 

This feature will only allow devices with their MAC IDs in the list to connect to the router.  It works great but if she wants to allow someone to access her router she will have to go in and add their MAC .  If I have visitors I need to set them up to use my wireless.  Also when I get a new device I usually forget I have MAC filtering enabled and end up working on getting a conenction for 10 or 15 minutes before I remember to go in and add the MAC.